MLB 2021 Season Thread

2 hours ago, BBTV said:

had he made it to FA, I think it was a real possibility, especially once Harper signed.  If/when the Angles decide they don’t want to pay him just to finish below .500, I think it’s logical to think that the Phillies would be in play- though I’m not sure what they could possibly offer the Angles since their minor league system is complete trash. 

I see someone like Boston, or Yankees being a better option. They have better minor league systems to draw from and more likely to go after that piece.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

How the hell do you throw out runners now that they wear those oven mitts that add like 5 inches to their reach?  At some point doesn't all the equipment like that need to be regulated?  Other than the obvious, what's stopping someone from getting a 90-foot-long mitten and stealing bases by simply reaching to his right?

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

This Lance Diaz jerkoff shouldn’t be employed. The pitchers from both teams have absolutely no idea what’s a strike and what’s not, and some of these calls are ludicrous even by MLB umpire standards. What can a pitcher do? If a strike isn’t a strike and you have to throw something that’s super hittable just to avoid a walk, it’s really hard. MLB needs to either expedite the robots or start firing these clowns. Their families should feel ashamed. 

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

On 5/9/2021 at 5:12 PM, Red Comet said:

See, I don't understand that line of thinking at all. You want to get people to watch your product, right? You want to get kids to grow up to be great consumers of your product, right? So why the hell would you not market the players that make adults fork over money for tickets/merch/team-brand prophylactics and kids want to be them when they grow up? Are the morons running these organizations profitaphobes? 

I don’t know if it’s entirely up to the league, not that they’re blameless either. But Trout has always seemed to be disinterested in that sort of marketing anyway. He’s all aw shucks, I’m good at baseball and like the weather. You can’t force the guy to take the big consumer endorsement deal he doesn’t want. I don’t if any of these guys have the personality for it, not like Griffey or Jeter.

Showcasing fan-made sports apparel by artists and designers

10 hours ago, LMU said:

The Padres are becoming this year’s Marlins.

How can 5/12 of position players be out when there's 8 position players?  By my rough math, that equals 3.3 of 8, which unless covid cost an otherwise-healthy player their arm, isn't possible.

5 minutes ago, BBTV said:

How can 5/12 of position players be out when there's 8 position players?  By my rough math, that equals 3.3 of 8, which unless covid cost an otherwise-healthy player their arm, isn't possible.

It's referring to the 12 non-pitchers on the 26 man roster.

VmWIn6B.png

13 hours ago, BBTV said:

This Lance Diaz jerkoff shouldn’t be employed. The pitchers from both teams have absolutely no idea what’s a strike and what’s not, and some of these calls are ludicrous even by MLB umpire standards. What can a pitcher do? If a strike isn’t a strike and you have to throw something that’s super hittable just to avoid a walk, it’s really hard. MLB needs to either expedite the robots or start firing these clowns. Their families should feel ashamed. 

Laz Diaz.

5 minutes ago, McCall said:

Laz Diaz.

I got his name 50% right, which is roughly as accurate as he is behind the plate.

In other news - someone in some thread made note of the former Phillies that have developed a certain type of brain cancer (including at least one death from it) after playing on the vet turf.  Today the news came out that another of their former players from the astrotuf era has brain cancer.  I don't know nearly enough about the science and whether it's possible that there's a connection or not, but it's hard to simply dismiss.

I'm rooting for Las Vegas or Portland to be the A's landing spot if they don't stay in Oakland.  Not only would the divisional alignment remain intact, but the colors work for either city (Timbers colors for Portland, green money and gold coins for Vegas).  The A's have some of the best uniforms and brands in all of MLB.  I'd rather they not change at all (apart from replacing references to Oakland with the new city) if they can help it.

5 minutes ago, NicDB said:

I'm rooting for Las Vegas or Portland to be the A's landing spot if they don't stay in Oakland.  Not only would the divisional alignment remain intact, but the colors work for either city (Timbers colors for Portland, green money and gold coins for Vegas).  The A's have some of the best uniforms and brands in all of MLB.  I'd rather they not change at all (apart from replacing references to Oakland with the new city) if they can help it.

God I hope it's anywhere but Portland. They can't even hold onto a minor league team. Plus the city has seemed...volatile of late

Anubis.png

On 5/8/2021 at 10:21 PM, BBTV said:

I don't think you can play in Chicago (at least for the Cubs) and be in "obscurity" like Trout is.  Ichiro was kind of a novelty and had international appeal, so I probably wouldn't consider him in the same category.  Ichiro "felt" pretty important to baseball... at least to me.

Vet - you're wrong.

This was WAY before WGN9 was on most cable systems and the Cubs (along with the Braves) were always on TV.

I'm not saying Ernie Banks was an unknown, but there's no way to compare him to the post-84 lovefest that has become the 'lovable losers'.

It's where I sit.

4 hours ago, Anubis2051 said:

God I hope it's anywhere but Portland. They can't even hold onto a minor league team. Plus the city has seemed...volatile of late

It wasn't that they couldn't keep their minor league team.  It was that their stadium was converted to a soccer/football only configuration to accommodate MLS standards.  The Beavers were replaced almost immediately in Metro Portland with the Hillsboro Hops in the Northwest League where they tend to be one of the better supported teams. As far as the city's "volatility" is concerned, it doesn't seem to have effected the Timbers or Blazers in any measurable way.

That said, I'm rooting for Vegas.

2 hours ago, Sec19Row53 said:

Vet - you're wrong.

This was WAY before WGN9 was on most cable systems and the Cubs (along with the Braves) were always on TV.

I'm not saying Ernie Banks was an unknown, but there's no way to compare him to the post-84 lovefest that has become the 'lovable losers'.

I just know that as a little kid in the mid '80s reading baseball history books at the library and collecting baseball cards, even I knew about Ernie Banks.  He was written about in pretty much every book I picked up back in elementary school.  I obviously have no idea if he was considered a superstar back when he played and famous every where he went, and while baseball in general was definitely romanticized more back in the golden era, it's possible that most of that was Mickey Mantle and Joe DiMaggio and the Yankees, Dodgers, and Giants, while the rest of the clubs (and maybe even Banks) kinda flew under the radar outside of their home cities.   

On 5/11/2021 at 9:21 PM, BBTV said:

what's stopping someone from getting a 90-foot-long mitten and stealing bases by simply reaching to his right?

Nothing turning a gorilla loose wouldn't solve.

BB52Big.jpg

31 minutes ago, NicDB said:

It wasn't that they couldn't keep their minor league team.  It was that their stadium was converted to a soccer/football only configuration to accommodate MLS standards.  The Beavers were replaced almost immediately in Metro Portland with the Hillsboro Hops in the Northwest League where they tend to be one of the better supported teams. As far as the city's "volatility" is concerned, it doesn't seem to have effected the Timbers or Blazers in any measurable way.

That said, I'm rooting for Vegas.

They will never move out of the bay under the current revenue model. Unlike the nfl's national tv contract, the regional cable tv deal is the primary revenue driver for an mlb franchise. Moving to a smaller media market just to get a shiny subsidized place of business to sell more tickets would be a financial misstep. Since the mid 90's the turnstile has been eclipsed by the number of subscribers.  They still have local (not great) options to try to work something out in oakland, possibly find a site in the near the santa clara county border, or negotiate a revenue sharing deal with the giants to settle in san jose.

1 hour ago, coco1997 said:

Stumbled upon a really cool Las Vegas A's concept:

Las Vegas Athletics — Kyle Tellier

The dice on the logo are *chef's kiss.* 

If a team is going to Vegas, whether it's the A's or an expansion team, I doubt MLB is going to be happy with gambling referenced in the brand.

Archived