MLB 2021 Season Thread

5 hours ago, Ridleylash said:

And La Russa had drinking problems. Terrible optics.

4 hours ago, CS85 said:

And there were two outs in the inning!!! I don't think I would even see this in the beer leagues!

• Replies 517
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Speaking of the Rays, how the hell do the Phillies and Rays have an off day today - a Friday?  I've been watching baseball since 1986, and I can't remember them ever being off on Friday.   I don't get why they'd schedule a 2-game interleague series that starts on a Saturday.

20 minutes ago, BBTV said:

Speaking of the Rays, how the hell do the Phillies and Rays have an off day today - a Friday?  I've been watching baseball since 1986, and I can't remember them ever being off on Friday.   I don't get why they'd schedule a 2-game interleague series that starts on a Saturday.

So both games can be over the weekend. What’s so strange about that?

2 minutes ago, dont care said:

So both games can be over the weekend. What’s so strange about that?

Can you recall many 2-game weekend series'?  It has to be an extremely rare occurrence, so yeah - I'd say it's strange.

Baseball off days are traditionally Monday and Thursday, with the odd early-season 2-game set causing a few Tuesdays or maybe even a Wednesday.  When they started doing the weird 4-game series that runs Friday-Monday (again, usually only early season) there was even more Tuesday off days, but they were still relatively uncommon.  I've never heard of a Friday off day.   

I googled it and came across a reddit post from two seasons ago when someone asked the same thing, and the response was that it was due to the teams (the Angles and Astros) having played in a series in Mexico.  I didn't spend all night researching, but I'm fairly comfortable with my ascertain that they're rare, strange, and a relatively new invention.

9 minutes ago, BBTV said:

I googled it and came across a reddit post from two seasons ago when someone asked the same thing, and the response was that it was due to the teams (the Angles and Astros) having played in a series in Mexico.  I didn't spend all night researching, but I'm fairly comfortable with my ascertain that they're rare, strange, and a relatively new invention.

Did you look at the first Friday of this season? Lots of teams off that day (due to 'just in case of rain', but still).

It’s been the way of the schedule for many years now that, during regular weeks during the regular season (not

opening week or all star etc.), the off days are Monday and Thursday. Been this way at least since they went back to the unbalanced schedule circa 2000 or so.

14 minutes ago, Sec19Row53 said:

Did you look at the first Friday of this season? Lots of teams off that day (due to 'just in case of rain', but still).

Yeah, I forgot about the weird opening-series stuff, but that's still just goofy early-April stuff that is intentionally scheduled because of a "special event".  Shouldn't happen in May/June.  It's in Tampa so it shouldn't matter, and it's MDW so I'd imagine attendance is down across the board, but I'd assume that on a normal Friday, the revenues are higher than they would be on a Tuesday or Wednesday, so scheduling a two-game series on a weekend just seems dumb and avoidable.

I'll go as far as to say that scheduling a day off on Friday, Saturday, or Sunday is downright un-American, and is proof that someone (Russians?) hacked the scheduling system.

Phillies loser Matt Joyce hit a grand slam in the 9th inning against a position-player pitcher, with his team leading 13-3.  "Unwritten rules" violation?  Funny how it's not a big deal when Tony LaRussa isn't involved.

On 5/28/2021 at 6:58 PM, BBTV said:

Definitely relatively new.  Also seems like the Rays have had a few of these in recent seasons.  I seem to recall at least one Friday off weekend series with the Marlins.  I also remember when the Rays scheduled a planed doubleheader with the A's on a Saturday plus the 3rd game on Sunday, making Friday an off day for a 3 game set.

A coworker pointed out that Baltimore has yet to play the Buffalo Dunedin Toronto Blue Jays, a division rival, this season and won’t play them for the first time until June 24-27.

My friend then pointed out that the Red Sox and Yankees are playing each other for the first time this season this weekend.

19 hours ago, Dilbert said:

Reds sweep the Cardinals today. Its the first time they swept the Redbirds in 4 games in St Louis since 1990

I can’t believe any of that happened because winning in St Louis has always been impossible for this franchise. Jesse Winker had three home runs and we needed every one of them because the bullpen is ASS. Blew a 7-0 lead in one inning. The Cardinals had guys on second and third with no outs in the ninth and Lucas Sims managed to sneak out and I almost died. 

This team has a thousand outfielders. Make a trade and get some actual arms that can get actual outs in the pen. They can’t go on like this.