MLB 2021 Season Thread

https://nypost.com/2021/06/10/sinclair-raising-250m-for-new-sports-streaming-service-sources/

Didn't know whether to post this in the Sports Media thread or here, but decided on here as it looks like this year is going to the rough transition period between watching games on cable and watching them online. $23/month to watch (in my case) the Royals? Let me check my options first. It's not like I'd pay for cable for any other reason besides watching sports anyway. 

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is the most tuned into baseball that I've been in years and I know nobody pays attention to teams other than their own because I also don't pay attention teams other my own so here's a REDS REPORT

The Reds have quietly put together a formidable lineup who've been knocking the ball around the yard as of late. Jesse Winker and Nick Castellanos are both MVP candidates who should be starting in the All-Star game. Jonathan India is having a great rookie year and is proving to be useful in the leadoff spot. Eugenio Suarez is starting to come out of his usual cold start, and Joey Votto still bangs since coming off IR. Aristedes Aquino just came off of IR and Tyler Naquin is having a much better than expected year in centerfield. And that's without mentioning that Mike Moustakas is going to be healthy very soon. Plus they have Shogo Akiyama on the bench who was critical in their run to the playoffs last year. Easily the best 1-8 lineup they've rolled out there since 2013.

The starting pitching staff is nothing to sneeze at either with Tyler Mahle having a breakout year, Wade Miley being a healthy quality start machine, Luis Castillo is starting to get back to his usual self, Sonny Gray should be healthy shortly, and this newcomer Vlad Gutierrrez has looked really comfortable in every one of his big league starts since coming up. 

The team's Achilles heel is their bullpen who have been league worst terrible this season and it's all because ownership cried poor and refused to add reliable major league arms in the offseason. They make you feel like no lead is safe and a couple guys like Amir Garrett seem like they've forgotten how to pitch over the last couple years. If Garrett can figure his :censored: out and they get TJ Antone back they're still a couple arms short, which is nothing that can't be fixed with a trade and Michael Lorenzen coming of IR, but I still don't trust management to actually address this glaring problem. It'll be tough to stay in a race when they're dropping winnable games because the bullpen can't get 9 outs. 

This has been your REDS REPORT

PvO6ZWJ.png

4 hours ago, Sport said:

This is the most tuned into baseball that I've been in years and I know nobody pays attention to teams other than their own because I also don't pay attention teams other my own so here's a REDS REPORT

The Reds have quietly put together a formidable lineup who've been knocking the ball around the yard as of late. Jesse Winker and Nick Castellanos are both MVP candidates who should be starting in the All-Star game. Jonathan India is having a great rookie year and is proving to be useful in the leadoff spot. Eugenio Suarez is starting to come out of his usual cold start, and Joey Votto still bangs since coming off IR. Aristedes Aquino just came off of IR and Tyler Naquin is having a much better than expected year in centerfield. And that's without mentioning that Mike Moustakas is going to be healthy very soon. Plus they have Shogo Akiyama on the bench who was critical in their run to the playoffs last year. Easily the best 1-8 lineup they've rolled out there since 2013.

The starting pitching staff is nothing to sneeze at either with Tyler Mahle having a breakout year, Wade Miley being healthy quality start machine, Luis Castillo is starting to get back to his usual self, Sonny Gray should be healthy shortly, and this newcomer Vlad Gutierrrez has looked really comfortable in every one of his big league starts since coming up. 

The team's Achilles heel is their bullpen who have been league worst terrible this season and it's all because ownership cried poor and refused to add reliable major league arms in the offseason. They make you feel like no lead is safe and a couple guys like Amir Garrett seem like they've forgotten how to pitch over the last couple years. If Garrett can figure his :censored: out and they get TJ Antone back they're still a couple arms short, which is nothing that can't be fixed with a trade and Michael Lorenzen coming of IR, but I still don't trust management to actually address this glaring problem. It'll be tough to stay in a race when they're dropping winnable games because the bullpen can't get 9 outs. 

This has been your REDS REPORT

Let's go around the horn. 

Here's your CUBS CORNER or something

The team entered the 2021 season with Theo getting the hell out of Dodge, longtime heroes in Lester and Schwarber departing for the Nationals, and tumult swirling over how soon the team would look to trade Kris Bryant, dump assets, betray remaining stars, exile fans, and begin a half-assed rebuild as ownership cried poor.

Jake Arrieta was brought back to stave off the barbarians at the gates, and the team tepidly began play.  After some typical frigid spring .500 ball, the Cubs, for reasons unknown to science, began to emerge as a pretty damned good baseball team.  The bullpen, full of guys who wouldn't have in-game pictures in The Show, is one of the filthiest in the sport, including a revitalized and near-unhittable Craig Kimbrel, finally earning his keep after a couple years of dragging ass.

The starters have held their own in unspectacular fashion, yielding lots of hits but few runs, typically going just long enough to regularly stave off bullpen fatigue. 

Kris Bryant has been hitting with regular fervor for the first time in years, and the rest of the lineup has followed suit.  Baez, Rizzo, and Contreras are fired up, Joc Pederson and randomly Patrick Wisdom have provided terrific offense, and Sergio Alcantara and Nico Hoerner have given fans hope for the future.

There's still a lot of dead bat anxiety hanging over several players after two years of inexplicable impotence, namely Jason Heyward, who while providing stellar defense has never figured out how to dominate or even excel as a hitter in a Cubs uniform.   Baez still strikes out like it's his calling card, Rizzo slumps from time to time, and the underbelly of the roster, with maybe the exception of  Wisdom, shouldn't be consistently relied on to supply runs while the stars endure batting therapy.

The Cubs having fans back at Wrigley seems to be a huge shot in the arm for their energy, thankfully (and ironically, as Rizzo and Heyward are among the Cubs stars that refuse to get vaccinated, leaving them as one of the few teams that won't hit the MLB threshold), and big series wins against the NL elite have them primed to make some noise in the summer months.

For a team that entered the season almost guaranteed to be a seller, GM Jed Hoyer finds himself pondering thrift store shopping for another starter to potentially roll the dice on a deep 2021 Cubs playoff run.

With no guarantees whatsoever that Rizzo, Baez, or Bryant will be back in Cubs uniforms next season, this may be their Jake Taylor Endeavor before the window slams shut and the 2016 heroes see themselves out to pursue more financially lucrative contracts.

This has been your CUBS CORNER or whatever

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

On 6/13/2021 at 8:50 AM, BBTV said:

and we'll see if the crackdown on substances has any impact on his or anyone else's stats.  I kinda don't think it will.

I guess this counts...

VmWIn6B.png

16 minutes ago, FiddySicks said:

D Backs made this bed. Hope it’s soft.

Not to mention the Dumpsterbacks held, then blew a 7-0 lead in this game.

No idea how their manager survives to see tomorrow.. No idea.

6uXNWAo.png

4 hours ago, FiddySicks said:

D Backs made this bed. Hope it’s soft.

En route toward their next road game, a glowing tear in the fabric of the universe flaps open in the upper atmosphere, and the Diamondbacks plane is helpless to avoid it.  After hours of terrifying blind flight through storm clouds and strange-colored skies, the pilot masterfully lands the team plane in a shallow body of water near a lush and strangely-colored forest. 

The unhurt D-Backs emerge and find themselves surrounded by smallish humanoid beings, primitive yet intelligent residents of this alternate branch of Earth. Using their collective abilities and effort, the Arizona club details their misadventures and who they are. 

The alien tribal villagers work together to establish and integrate the Diamondbacks into their community, eventually leading them to share culture. The humanoids, not biologically built for much in the way of athletics, are reluctant to take in the team’s unanimous love of the exotic game of baseball, but agree to try it nonetheless.  

The Diamondbacks work together, tirelessly teaching and practicing the sport with their hosts, slyly exchanging winks and nods with one another all the while, withholding gamesmanship techniques and finer points that would ensure them an easy victory over the humanoid villagers once they formed a team.  

Weeks pass, and the two sides agree to a friendly game. 

The Diamondbacks lost 17-5, extending their road losing streak to 22 games. 

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

Remember when the Diamondbacks won 5 of 6 against the Reds in April, including a sweep in Cincinnati? Yup a quarter of the Dbacks wins are against the Reds, who are now 2.5 games out of first place after 3 sweeps in their last 4 series (4 gm sweep in St Louis, Took 1 of 3 from Milwaukee, 3 gm sweep of Colorado, and a 3 gm sweep in Milwaukee).

Signature intentionally left blank

3 hours ago, DNAsports said:

I’m at the Toronto-Baltimore game. It’s absolutely nuts. Brawl, crap ton of HRs. Friend caught the second Cedric Mullins HR

I was at Friday's game. It was so boring until the 8th when the Orioles scored 5 runs out of nowhere.

4 minutes ago, Shumway said:

I was at Friday's game. It was so boring until the 8th when the Orioles scored 5 runs out of nowhere.

It was rather exciting being up 7-4, but in typical Orioles fashion, they blew the game in the 9th, lost 10-7, and the soul was sucked out of the stadium instantly.

Archived