MLB 2021 Season Thread

I was at the game where Girardi had Scherzer searched.  It was hysterical.  Are they allowed to call for searches any time?  It was funny, but also absurd. I watched the between innings ones and they didn't seem nearly as invasive as when they went all TSA on him there.

Why don't they check after every ridiculous time-wasting mound huddle when the shortstop could be passing something to the pitcher?  

This game took more than 4 hours - and it was only a 3-2 game.  Baseball is really too much of a time investment to go to anymore.  Games should take < 3 hours, and a little more if there's extras.  

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

At the start of COVID I was a little sad because I knew I wasn't going to see videos of people in public acting foolish for a while.

I miss the start of COVID. Everything about that Padres video is dreadful.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

13 hours ago, BBTV said:

I was at the game where Girardi had Scherzer searched.  It was hysterical.  Are they allowed to call for searches any time?  It was funny, but also absurd. I watched the between innings ones and they didn't seem nearly as invasive as when they went all TSA on him there.

Why don't they check after every ridiculous time-wasting mound huddle when the shortstop could be passing something to the pitcher?  

This game took more than 4 hours - and it was only a 3-2 game.  Baseball is really too much of a time investment to go to anymore.  Games should take < 3 hours, and a little more if there's extras.  

My understanding is yes, with the caveat that umpires will frown upon "strategy" checks. [eyeroll]

They ought to lose a challenge if they check and the pitcher is clean. I read that earlier and like the idea.

It's where I sit.

Manfred wants to make games as short as possible like add time clocks and put a player on second in extra innings, limit mound visits, so by all means lets lengthen the game by adding random sticky substance searches. Its absurd. This man is this close to installing a TSA pat down at every dugout. Leave the game alone Rob.

Signature intentionally left blank

7 hours ago, The Six said:

Do the searches actually make games longer? It happens in between half innings, so it doesn't seem to add any time.

the ad-hoc one in Philadelphia definitely made it longer.

A well-pitched 3-2 game took 4ish hours because of the search, idiot pitchers that need to go for a walk around the mound and 'gather themselves' in between every single pitch, batters that re-velcro their gloves 15 times between pitches, full-team huddles on the mound all the time (which is a bigger problem than mound visits and pitching changes), etc.

As a STH, I hate it because I'm either at the game past 11, or have to leave early.  Going to a pro sports event should be a part of your night - it shouldn't be the whole night.  And it's rough on parents who have kids in school to take them to something that gets them home approaching midnight.  

Baseball is dying, and it's the players fault way more than it is the commissioner.  

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Boy the White Sox sure are choosing a good time to not be able to hit dingers anymore. Of course they were going to level out, I'm not that naive, but the fact that all of the bats are going cold when new players have filled in so well so far has been incredibly irritating. 

"And then I remember to relax, and stop trying to hold on to it, and then it flows through me like rain and I can't feel anything but gratitude for every single moment of my stupid little life... You have no idea what I'm talking about, I'm sure. But don't worry... you will someday." 

On 6/22/2021 at 10:39 PM, ninersdd said:

Hooliganism breaking out in San Diego

More like Dodgers fans bringing their brand of hooligan bull down to San Diego. There's always issues when the Dodgers are around. Be it in LA itself, San Diego, San Francisco... The Dodger fan started this one too. WTF is he coming at someone for? I don't care what he called your mother... Can't take heckling, don't travel to away games. 

Case and point, most recent video on that feed... Dodgers fans.

https://twitter.com/sportsfightclub/status/1408990721210818565?s=20

22 minutes ago, DNAsports said:

Dylan Bundy blowing chunks two feet from the back of the mound was fun to watch

His pitching lately has made most of us Angels fans wanna puke too.

(Seriously, I hope he's ok. It's miserable outside here on the east coast. I had 3 games yesterday, and it sucked)

The Phillies have 21 blown saves this year (including tonight... so far.)

They have seven blown saves in the past week!  That's literally an average of one blown save every day for the past week.  

EDIT:

Joe Girardi, who is the single most overrated manager I've ever seen or heard of, brought in a position player off the bench to finish the 8th inning.  His pitch topped out at around 80 MPH (the Reds used a pitcher as a pinch hitter in what was a legit show of mercy) and the umps still checked him for using grip enhancers.

11 hours ago, Red Comet said:

I never thought I’d say this, but, I miss Bud Selig.

Oh I've missed Bud Selig since the first few months of Manfred's tenure. Selig may have been a douche, but at least I never questioned that he loved the game and wanted to do right by it, the fans, and the history of the game. He may have messed up on occasion, overlooked roids, etc..., but then he also made some very smart moves that improved the game on the whole I think. 

Manfred I'm still not convinced has ever watched a baseball game, nevermind likes it. 

So Hector Santiago has been suspended 10 games, but the glove was never tested by MLB. They're simply going on the umpire's ruling/ejection.

So, obviously, there's noooooo way any umpire would ever dare use this unilateral judicial power for any kind of personal vendetta or vengeance... right?

Archived