MLB 2021 Season Thread

4 hours ago, DNAsports said:

I got a genuine laugh out of this line. Thank you for making my night

Seconded, I’m going full Carlos Mencia and stealing that joke the next time an opportunity comes up in my own life to say that one. 

22 hours ago, Sport said:

Yesterday I learned that Bobby Bonilla also collects 500 grand from the Orioles every year. He started getting paid in 2004 and it's a 25 year deal. I hope he gives that agent of his nice gifts and dinners. 

I know I'm 48 hours late, but the thing I enjoy most about Bobby Bonilla day is that it helps keep it the most infamous deferred payment contract in MLB history.  Yes sir, you'd be hard pressed to find another MLB team who gave a quote unquote slugger a deferred contract across multiple decades just to have him completely disappear as a player, yes sir indeed.  Can't think of one other team who did something that stupid.  No sir.

1 hour ago, neo_prankster said:

Did you read that article?  While he may ultimately end up in trouble, text messages that invite rough sex would seem to minimize his guilt.

On 7/2/2021 at 3:19 AM, FiddySicks said:

Ok, I’m confused. What’s the strategic advantage to this? 

Straight from Weaver on Strategy, straight from my bookshelf:

gNDnf65.jpg

Gameplanning lefty-righty for the infinitesimal chance that a starting pitcher pulls something in the first inning is like proto-La-Russa-with-St.-Louis, too-clever-by-half fussiness, and really out of character for the same manager whose overarching philosophy was "just hit home runs all the time."

Posted (edited)

I don’t think Trevor Bauer will ultimately get punished….legally. The settlement is going to be the most punishment he’s getting. 

Edited by Red Comet

On 7/2/2021 at 7:46 PM, BBTV said:

Why is it that a guy can pitch 8 innings and look cool as a cucumber, but then some idiot closer comes in and is out of breath and laboring after the first pitch?  This Phillies game was on pace to be over in 2.5 hours, until Joe Girardi, who's mom should have been arrested for littering the moment he came out of her, put in this douchebag closer.  Now, every pitch it's huffing and puffing, walking around the mound, more huffing and puffing, and then now probably blowing the lead after the first pitcher threw 8 shutout innings. 

It's not still that one John Rocker wannabe, is it?

12 hours ago, Red Comet said:

I don’t think Trevor Bauer will ultimately get punished….legally. The settlement is going to be the most punishment he’s getting. 

Agreed. I don’t think there’s been any action from the DA because the case has so many holes in it (encore performance, text messages stipulating desires, 125 mile drive to the hospital with a cracked skull, etc.) and the restraining order was a play to either hurry a decision or to have something documented for the civil trial.

1 minute ago, LMU said:

Agreed. I don’t think there’s been any action from the DA because the case has so many holes in it and the restraining order was a play to either hurry a decision or to have something documented for the civil trial.

At most, this will be a Ray Rice or Greg Hardy kind of deal. It’s not like a War Machine case, where there are multiple victims and plenty of medical witnesses. 

Bauer will probably see his career destroyed over it, which is apparently good enough.

I'm curious, from a legal standpoint, what actions are allowed if consented to that would be illegal otherwise?  For example, if I punch someone on the street, that's assault, and illegal.  If he were to say "punch me in the face" and I do it, would it still be assault (because you just can't do something like that), or not, because he agreed to it?  And if it's OK because he agreed, if it ends up hurting more than he expected (or maybe he lost teeth or something), could he then still say it was assault?  Obviously there's limits - someone can't consent to someone killing them because that gets into the whole assisted suicide thing, but for things like rough sex, if someone asks for it and then has 'buyer's remorse', is it a crime?  I personally don't get it - without getting too graphic, I've had more than one partner that asked for some pretty rough and possibly degrading treatment, and I just couldn't do it - one, because even though they asked for it, I simply couldn't bring myself to do it, and two, I have no idea how one stays aroused while degrading or potentially injuring someone.  People are turned on by whatever turns them on, but I think if you're turned on by choking or slapping people, that might indicate some other issues that should probably be worked on professionally.

55 minutes ago, BBTV said:

I'm not sure who you're referring to.

Admittedly, I had to look it up as I'd forgotten the guy's name, but Jared Hughes...given that he retired, it's not him, but yeah...gotta wonder about that.

1 hour ago, Discrim said:

Admittedly, I had to look it up as I'd forgotten the guy's name, but Jared Hughes...given that he retired, it's not him, but yeah...gotta wonder about that.

I've honestly never even heard of him... and I had season tickets during what appears to be his only season with the Phillies!

9 hours ago, BBTV said:

I've honestly never even heard of him... and I had season tickets during what appears to be his only season with the Phillies!

If not for Jomboy, neither would I...your comment just really reminded me of this, complete with all the unnecessary huffing and puffing :

NICK CASTELLANOS DID IT AGAIN!

Nick Castellanos ruined a eulogy with another meme-worthy homer - SBNation.com

I cannot believe it's happened twice. At Kansas City, the scene of The Meme, and he hits a home run to the exact same spot during a somber moment of reflection that the announcer has to interrupt to acknowledge what's happening on the field! That's amazing.