MLB 2021 Season Thread

8 hours ago, Unocal said:

It's remarkable the Reds are in striking distance of the playoffs given their bullpen issues

If they had a league average bullpen they'd be in first place right now. If they had a good bullpen they'd be designing World Series rings right now. 

PvO6ZWJ.png

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sharing this now because in about 7 or 8 years Joey Votto is going to come up for Hall of Fame debate and I don't want people who haven't paid any attention to his career to be surprised.

Joey Votto is not your grandpa's Hall of Famer, but he absolutely belongs – The Athletic

He's going to get in, it's just a matter of when. 

PvO6ZWJ.png

34 minutes ago, Sport said:

Sharing this now because in about 7 or 8 years Joey Votto is going to come up for Hall of Fame debate and I don't want people who haven't paid any attention to his career to be surprised.

Joey Votto is not your grandpa's Hall of Famer, but he absolutely belongs – The Athletic

I was surprised he just got to 2,000 hits. I thought he would have reached that milestone 3 to 4 years ago. But he had plenty of walks and his on base % was among the best in his prime and maybe injuries were a factor. He is also an excellent fielder as well. I think it is because the Reds have not had much success during his career that has put him down a level.

The most insane stat is the number of infield pop-fly outs in his career 

(this was from two years ago, but it's still fascinating) 

https://www.si.com/mlb/2019/04/18/joey-votto-cincinnati-reds-infield-pop-ups-last-10-seasons

I saw, I came, I left.

1 hour ago, Sport said:

He really does deserve to get in. Guy slugged it out on some awful Reds teams over the years. Dude really deserves kudos for that alone.

54 minutes ago, DEAD! said:

I was surprised he just got to 2,000 hits. I thought he would have reached that milestone 3 to 4 years ago. But he had plenty of walks and his on base % was among the best in his prime and maybe injuries were a factor. He is also an excellent fielder as well. I think it is because the Reds have not had much success during his career that has put him down a level.

The most insane stat is the number of infield pop-fly outs in his career 

(this was from two years ago, but it's still fascinating) 

https://www.si.com/mlb/2019/04/18/joey-votto-cincinnati-reds-infield-pop-ups-last-10-seasons

You get fewer hits when  your plate discipline, strike zone awareness, and commitment to OBP are all so good that you don't swing at bad pitches. Pitchers also worked around him because he is a damn good hitter. If he gets his pitch he slaps it where he wants most of the time. Since the All-Star break that means he hits it out of the park. He has 15 home runs since the All-Star break because he "just decided to hit home runs". Who does that? Look at his spray chart. He's not a switch hitter and yet it's damn near symmetrical. Crazy. 

His commitment to walks probably cost him 500 to 1,000 career hits, but if he's on base that's almost just as good and way better than making an out. The difference between him and the players he shares company with in the all-time OBP list is that he was actually trying to get a high on base percentage at a time when that was a priority. 

PvO6ZWJ.png

Miguel Cabrera hit number 500 today. Only 45 hits away from 3000 hits. Being a 2x MVP, .300 average hitter and a triple crown under his belt. We already know that he’ll be in the Hall of Fame(as a Tiger of course) as a first ballot, in the next 8-10 years. 

The Reds passed the Padres for the second wildcard. I'm not that worried about San Diego and their remaining schedule. My new concern is the Cardinals who have not f***** up my life in a while. It'd be so Cardinalsy if their team of boring ass clones disrupted the most fun Reds team since 99. 

PvO6ZWJ.png

1 hour ago, NormMacdonald said:

This was the dude who's such a dick that when he sued a former teammate for defamation, the judge basically said "Nothing could possibly lower your public reputation more" and dismissed the case because he's undefamable, right?

Yup. He can’t sue for defamation because his public reputation can’t get any worse.

3 hours ago, Sport said:

The Reds passed the Padres for the second wildcard. I'm not that worried about San Diego and their remaining schedule. My new concern is the Cardinals who have not f***** up my life in a while. It'd be so Cardinalsy if their team of boring ass clones disrupted the most fun Reds team since 99. 

Filipinos GIFs - Get the best gif on GIFER

But in all seriousness, the Cardinals just dropped 2 of 3 at home to the Pirates.🤦‍♂️

33 minutes ago, Dilbert said:

The Reds swept the Marlins in 4 games and for all four games, Tom has been trying to get Caitlyn back. Don't take him back Caitlyn,

spacer.png

Reminds me of what I noticed earlier today.

I saw, I came, I left.

There's a whole lot of unnecessary capitalization happening there, but yeah I agree - get them in situations where they're in more of a limelight and where more people actually see them.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Archived