MLB 2021 Season Thread

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Cardinals are just one of those teams that never seems to die. 

They always manage to pull some BS out of their ass and make the playoffs when they have no business there. 

I'll laugh my ass off if they beat San Fran/LA in the Wild Card. 

Speaking of, this Red Sox/Yankees series is probably going to decide the AL wildcard. 

Jays I think are pretty safe for one of them.  

19 hours ago, DoctorWhom said:

Cardinals are just one of those teams that never seems to die. 

They always manage to pull some BS out of their ass and make the playoffs when they have no business there. 

I'll laugh my ass off if they beat San Fran/LA in the Wild Card. 

Speaking of, this Red Sox/Yankees series is probably going to decide the AL wildcard. 

Jays I think are pretty safe for one of them.  

I disagree on your last point. The Red Sox have 2 series against the Orioles and nationals before the end of the season, and have a 2 game lead, and have come on since getting everyone back from COVID. The Yankees on the other hand are ending the season against Toronto which I think will be the real deciding game for the last spot, and the rays who I will think will still play hard to keep the Yankees out.

Last time Montreal split home games with another city, the Expos ended up moving out of town a couple years later. Maybe this time, the "sister city" thing will result in the Expos moving back into town?

I know the sting of losing a team to relocation, so I feel bad for the fans in Tampa. This tonedeaf idea certainly won't help:

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

3 hours ago, heavybass said:

Looks like the Tampa/Montreal thing is happening

So hold up --  the Rays will dress up as and be referred to as the "Montreal Expos" when they play games in Montreal? 🙄

6uXNWAo.png

1 minute ago, SFGiants58 said:

This is stupid. I hope Bronfman loses all his family’s money in another pyramid scheme-turned-cult.

Honestly, I'd blame Scumbag Stu more than Bronfman here; Bronfman's just taking advantage of Stu's utter contempt for the Tampa Bay area.

On 9/25/2021 at 6:08 PM, Cujo said:

So hold up --  the Rays will dress up as and be referred to as the "Montreal Expos" when they play games in Montreal? 🙄

Maybe this will be the Rays' City Connect jersey. Didn't say which city they were connecting to! Tampa Bay isn't even a city anyway!

GettyImages-1404565.0.jpg

Showcasing fan-made sports apparel by artists and designers

On 9/25/2021 at 3:00 PM, heavybass said:

Looks like the Tampa/Montreal thing is happening

If this actually happens (I still think it's just posturing to try and get leverage for a new park), it's going to be a mess on both sides. The Rays have already struggled to draw fans with a championship calibre team, so I don't know how they expect more people to suddenly want to show up and watch a team that has one foot out the door. They're just going to piss off the small group of die-hard fans they currently have.

As for Montreal, a massive chunk of people who grew up as Expos fans have switched allegiances to the Blue Jays (myself included). Speaking for myself, I can't imagine switching my fandom for a team that's half in Montreal (and likely wouldn't even be called the Expos). I'm sure plenty of other people feel the same way.

This feels like the franchise relocation equivalent of a multi-purpose stadium. It fits both, but is not ideal for either party. 

Nothing the Reds or Padres could've done if this mediocre ass Cardinals team is going to just never lose again. I'm planning on placing money on the Cards to win the wildcard game because if any force can stop Cardinal Devil Magic it's me having a vested interest in a sports outcome. 

PvO6ZWJ.png

7 hours ago, spartacat_12 said:

If this actually happens (I still think it's just posturing to try and get leverage for a new park), it's going to be a mess on both sides. The Rays have already struggled to draw fans with a championship calibre team, so I don't know how they expect more people to suddenly want to show up and watch a team that has one foot out the door. They're just going to piss off the small group of die-hard fans they currently have.

As for Montreal, a massive chunk of people who grew up as Expos fans have switched allegiances to the Blue Jays (myself included). Speaking for myself, I can't imagine switching my fandom for a team that's half in Montreal (and likely wouldn't even be called the Expos). I'm sure plenty of other people feel the same way.

This feels like the franchise relocation equivalent of a multi-purpose stadium. It fits both, but is not ideal for either party. 

The part I can't get it over is that, based on that Tampa Times report, the plan still involves building TWO NEW STADIUMS, one in each city. That, to me, is just absurd. 

It feels like that continues to be part of the story because, without it, the scheme looks even more blatantly like a relocation ploy. I presume sometime in the next year or so, they'll run into problems with the proposed Tampa stadium (location, incentives, etc.) while the one in Montreal sails through, thereby enabling the inevitable relocation to Tampa and giving the owners a "see, we tried?" bad faith excuse. 

The Brewers clinch the division and then one of the key relievers promptly breaks his hand and celebration by punching a wall.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

Archived