MLB 2021 Season Thread

4 hours ago, Sport said:

Let's talk about this now - why the :censored: do they not reseed after the wildcard game? Why the :censored: are the Dodgers and Giants playing in the NLDS? Under the old 4 team wildcard format those two teams wouldn't have played in the LDS because they were from the same division, which was silly for its own reasons, but this is even dumber. Just use overall records, you knuckleheads!

The Giants-Dodgers matchup is the second time that two 100-Win teams faceoff against each other in the LDS since the Wild Card format expanded in 2012.

I don’t recall any uproar over the 108-Win Red Sox versus the 100-Win Yankees (WC) in the 2018 ALDS. Maybe because it was Red Sox-Yankees in the playoffs, which is always TV-worthy?

For comparison, the other side of the AL bracket had the 103-Win Astros taking on the 91-Win Indians that season.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
13 minutes ago, BryanSmalls said:

The Giants-Dodgers matchup is the second time that two 100-Win teams faceoff against each other in the LDS since the Wild Card format expanded in 2012.

I don’t recall any uproar over the 108-Win Red Sox versus the 100-Win Yankees (WC) in the 2018 ALDS. Maybe because it was Red Sox-Yankees in the playoffs, which is always TV-worthy?

For comparison, the other side of the AL bracket had the 103-Win Astros taking on the 91-Win Indians that season.

Okay it's been dumb in every instance it's happened. The Red Sox should've played the Indians in the LDS that year. 

Just reseed after the wildcard game so the team with the best record plays the team with the fourth best record. Not sure why there's pushback on that. 

PvO6ZWJ.png

Yeah...the idea of rewarding division champions kinda goes out the window when the best division champion is more or less being punished due to an overly-generalized assumption that the WC team is the weakest team remaining.  I can live with (though disagree with) punishing a wild card team by putting them against the number 1 seed...but not when that forces the number 1 seed to have to play the second-best team.  If Atlanta or Milwaukee wants to go to the World Series, they should have to (at least in theory) go through both of those teams.  Re-seeding is the best way to handle this.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

3 hours ago, Sport said:

Okay it's been dumb in every instance it's happened. The Red Sox should've played the Indians in the LDS that year. 

Just reseed after the wildcard game so the team with the best record plays the team with the fourth best record. Not sure why there's pushback on that. 

It makes as much sense as a 7-9 WFT hosting a playoff game.

VmWIn6B.png

18 minutes ago, LMU said:

It makes as much sense as a 7-9 WFT hosting a playoff game.

In fact, all three teams that finished 7-9/7-8-1 have hosted their first playoff game, because the odds of a 7-win team winning one of the wild cards is so low that it can only really happen with a bad division producing it's obligatory champion. 

spacer.png

I know I'm in the minority, but i prefer this format having the 2 best teams (like San Fran & LA) play each other earlier in the playoffs rather than later

It makes the playoffs so much more unpredictable & gives lower ranked teams a better chance. 

With the reseeding crap if we got Brewers - Dodgers & Giants - Braves instead, I'm so much less invested because it feels like I'm just waiting for Giants - Dodger NLCS to happen. 

4 hours ago, BryanSmalls said:

1v3 & 2v4, with an eight game gap between 1st and 3rd, is significantly less ludicrous than 1v2 when 2nd is only a single game back of 1st and a whole eleven games better than the third best team.

1 hour ago, BringBackTheVet said:

sorry sweetie, but I don't suck minor-league d

CCSLC Post of the day September 3rd 2012

4 hours ago, Sport said:

You're onto something about re-seeding the LDS, especially since the whole point of the WC team is to make the playoffs unpredictable. It would be entertaining to see MLB follow the NFL and NHL in this playoff format. 

2 hours ago, DoctorWhom said:

It makes the playoffs so much more unpredictable & gives lower ranked teams a better chance. 

Why is this a good thing? The lower ranked teams are likely lower ranked for a reason. If they're going to make a deep playoff run, make them earn it. What this does is punish the 107-win Giants in the first round compared to the 95-win Brewers and 88-win Braves, which goes against all common sense. Being a #1 seed is supposed to be better than the #2 or #3.

spacer.png

9 minutes ago, Kramerica Industries said:

Why is this a good thing? The lower ranked teams are likely lower ranked for a reason. If they're going to make a deep playoff run, make them earn it. What this does is punish the 107-win Giants in the first round compared to the 95-win Brewers and 88-win Braves, which goes against all common sense. Being a #1 seed is supposed to be better than the #2 or #3.

Either way they're still going to have to defeat a team with a better record than them. So they would still be earning it.

Being #1 also still gets you home field, not like it gets you nothing. 

A Giants- Braves & Brewers - Dodgers LDS would be so boring to more because it feels like I'm just waiting for the Giants - Dodgers LCS to start. 

1 hour ago, DoctorWhom said:

Either way they're still going to have to defeat a team with a better record than them. So they would still be earning it.

Being #1 also still gets you home field, not like it gets you nothing. 

A Giants- Braves & Brewers - Dodgers LDS would be so boring to more because it feels like I'm just waiting for the Giants - Dodgers LCS to start. 

I agree. Giants vs Braves and Brewers vs Dodgers in the NLDS just sounds like delaying the inenvtible to me. 

xFUdNmt.png

13 hours ago, BryanSmalls said:

the whole point of the WC team is to make the playoffs unpredictable. 

The (original) point of the  WC team is to 1) make round out the field at 4 teams (it's not coincidence that it wasn't a thing until realignment) and 2) give a team like the Dodgers, who are elite but just had the bad luck of an eliter team in their own division, a chance, and avoid a situation like 1993.

Now, especially with the addition of the 5th team, it serves to keep baseball meaningful for more teams later in the season, which boosts revenue, which is the entire reason pro sports exist to begin with.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

The 10-team playoff format would work a lot better with two divisions in each league, which is the one thing the NHL has actually gotten right. I get that Tom Ricketts is a cheap bastard who probably doesn't want to pay for an extra West Coast swing or two every year, but the Texas teams are already doing it fine, and that would mean a team like the Dodgers both avoid the play-in game and avoid the No. 1 seed until the LCS.

Would it still be silly for the Braves to have home field over the Dodgers? Sure — but it's also easier to explain away the unbalanced schedules and the concept of being rewarded for being one of the best 7-8 teams, which is a much more robust number than 5.

6fQjS3M.png

5 hours ago, BBTV said:

The (original) point of the  WC team is to 1) make round out the field at 4 teams (it's not coincidence that it wasn't a thing until realignment) and 2) give a team like the Dodgers, who are elite but just had the bad luck of an eliter team in their own division, a chance, and avoid a situation like 1993.

Now, especially with the addition of the 5th team, it serves to keep baseball meaningful for more teams later in the season, which boosts revenue, which is the entire reason pro sports exist to begin with.

Which is a great reason for playoff expansion. That and to stop making baseball look bad with the continued Tampa Bay Rays disaster.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

8 hours ago, BBTV said:

It is always about money.

9 minutes ago, TrueYankee26 said:

And we can stick a fork on the White Sox.

Let's wait and see what happens on Sunday. Houston even up 2-0 is not a guarantee- Rays 2 years ago or the Red Sox in 2017. Heck, OAK won a game last year down 0-2.

Plus, we've seen Dusty Baker teams blow 2 game playoff series leads before.

Archived