MLB 2021 Season Thread

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Being that we are close to getting a WS that baseball fans outside of each team's respective fan base seem to not want, I have a genuine question (asking as someone who grew up a Yankees fan during the 90s/00s).

What was it like for you non-fans seeing them over and over again? Was there hatred, boredom, interest in rooting for the other team, etc? Does it compare to the current state of the postseason? Genuinely curious to hear thoughts. 

14 hours ago, ManillaToad said:

Have the Sox been the #1 team in town even during/after the Pats dynasty?

For a while they maybe still were, but even as the Pats passed them in terms of "media coverage" (talk radio saturation), there was still always the sense that the Red Sox were the constant and the beloved team of the town. Patriots kind of ensconced themselves up there in the Brady years of course. But at any rate I'd say it used to be the Patriots and Red Sox in that top tier of everyone-cares relevancy, but lately it's felt like the Patriots are alone in that tier, while the Bruins and Celtics caught up to the Red Sox.

Showcasing fan-made sports apparel by artists and designers

8 hours ago, Olmec said:

Being that we are close to getting a WS that baseball fans outside of each team's respective fan base seem to not want, I have a genuine question (asking as someone who grew up a Yankees fan during the 90s/00s).

What was it like for you non-fans seeing them over and over again? Was there hatred, boredom, interest in rooting for the other team, etc? Does it compare to the current state of the postseason? Genuinely curious to hear thoughts. 

I was like 10 years old during that era so this was my feelings as a child, but I was happy the Yankees won in 96 because I hated the Braves. After 98, I hated the Yankees because I was bored with them. Those Yankees felt like a bunch of corporate suits. They were stuffy and business-like. They were like a whole team of Roger Dorns. I mean LOOK at Scott Brosius. That's a man who reads about stocks if I've ever seen one. It wasn't a particularly fun team for non-fans and they won ALL THE TIME. The 99 rematch with the Braves was a big no thank you from me and I don't recall watching any of it. I really started to hate the Yankees when Clemens threw the broken bat at Mike Piazza, because it was lunacy and borderline criminal. 

My feeling towards baseball as a whole is kind of how I felt about the Yankees in 2000 - it's just kind of stale right now. It doesn't feel like it matters in the way that it used to and I don't know how you fix that or how I stop feeling that way personally. 

8 hours ago, DoctorWhom said:

Would it honestly be less surprising if the Braves choke away a 3-1 series lead than if they win the series? 

According to wikipedia the Braves had a 3-1 lead against the Dodgers last year as well so no I don't think it'd be surprising. This is the cost of drifting away from baseball because I have zero memory of that. 

PvO6ZWJ.png

17 minutes ago, Sport said:

I mean LOOK at Scott Brosius. That's a man who reads about stocks if I've ever seen one.

That gave me a genuine chuckle, thank you for that. I haven't even thought about Brosius since that era and wouldn't have been able to describe what he looked like, that's how forgettable his face was to me. But damn, you nailed it.

I mean...

scott-brosius_original.jpg?1283715148

Scott-Brosius.jpg

BOI BYE! @Sport. ☠☠😂

9 hours ago, Olmec said:

For me, it was the other way around...growing up on the Florida Panhandle, we were force-fed Braves baseball from every angle one can be force-fed anything...which is why I never cared for them and still don't.  (Don't get me wrong, I did watch the three-headed monster--as well as Terry Mulholland and John "The World's Hottest Head" Rocker--and I remember well all those stars that played there, but yeah, never was a fan of of franchise.  As for the Yankees, I didn't care in '96, since I wasn't a big baseball fan back then, but by '98 I was just as sick of them as everyone else.  (And doggone Brosius...again, BYE, SEAN. ☠☠😂)  But yeah, by that point and due to the Braves apathy--and because they wore my favorite color, yellow--I had already gravitated towards the Pirates, while also keeping an eye on the Mets once they got those black jerseys (i won't lie, I thought those were FIRE back then; not so much these days).  

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

10 hours ago, Olmec said:

The strike-cancelled season to 2000 was the worst stretch of any major sports league I've ever watched. 1998-2000 were the most boring World Series I have ever watched, with 1999 taking the cake for least interesting matchup ever.

16 minutes ago, ManillaToad said:

The strike-cancelled season to 2000 was the worst stretch of any major sports league I've ever watched. 1998-2000 were the most boring World Series I have ever watched, with 1999 taking the cake for least interesting matchup ever.

I think the 2000 playoffs were awesome, though I was a Yankees fan living in New York at the time. I could see why the rest of the country may have been less than impressed by the all of the NYC fart sniffing happening that year.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

25 minutes ago, DG_ThenNowForever said:

I think the 2000 playoffs were awesome, though I was a Yankees fan living in New York at the time. I could see why the rest of the country may have been less than impressed by the all of the NYC fart sniffing happening that year.

Well, in retrospect,  it was a good thing the subway series happened in 2000, not 2001.

I saw, I came, I left.

The Yankees had been bad for most of my childhood.  I had heard the stories and legends of all their title teams and all their superstars, but other than Don Mattingly they didn't really have stars in my youth and were "just another team".  So in a weird way, I felt validated as a baseball fan that I got to witness the Yankees being what I've always been lead to believe they were, and not just a myth.  That being said, F them from then on.

This was basically the story of the Yankees I grew up with:

71VaM1eWtpL._AC_SL1269_.jpg

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Sox now at 1-for-19 with RISP.

Howwwwwwwwwwwwwww?

EDIT: And the Sox don't play a RF against a left-handed hitter? Um. What.

On 4/10/2017 at 3:05 PM, Rollins Man said:

what the hell is ccslc?

Welp. Sox certainly made it farther than I thought they would, but doesn't make it any less frustrating to watch a team continuously get beat by the same mistakes over and over again. The Astros were timely, got hits when they needed, and didn't need to rely on HRs to do it. Sox played pathetically tonight and they looked like they couldn't even be bothered to try.

Good luck to Houston in the WS. I like Dusty Baker.

On 4/10/2017 at 3:05 PM, Rollins Man said:

what the hell is ccslc?

You know, the worst part of The Astros cheating scandal is the fact they didn't need too. They were already a potential dynasty in the making. 

Kind of like how Barry Bonds was already a hall of fame player before he started doping. 

Red Sox were the better team....for 2 games, they forgot you need to win 4. Astros obviously didn't forget 

Credit to them, they got their :censored: kicked in for 2 games but still got back up. 

Go Braves I guess? I'm sure Atlanta would give Manfred a warm welcome as he hands the Braves the trophy.  

Archived