MLB 2021 Season Thread

55 minutes ago, Marlins93 said:

I think the Angelos sons, assuming they inherit the team, are hoping to open up the concourses in an effort to modernize the park. I agree that would be a major improvement but that sounds like a very expensive and long renovation project. I can't imagine something like that being easy from an engineering standpoint.

Its no Wrigley...but opening the concourses at Wrigley cost an estimated $575 million. 

Clearly that was a different type of project. But it will be a lot of work. 

that is why there has been rumblings that the Orioles ownership might go the direction of a new stadium. 

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
38 minutes ago, BBTV said:

Braves have removed the ASG patch from their gray jerseys, though you can clearly see the remnants of it.  It looks terrible - not sure if it's glue or stitching that's left behind, but they may need to get all new jerseys for their next road trip.

EDIT:

I won't fully blame them for this because it was unexpected, and they're on the road. If it isn't better by their first homestand, then I will be more upset at how sloppy this is

Sorry, I'm on an iPad

What is the rainbow-mirrored covering on the front of catchers helmets for?

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

2 hours ago, BBTV said:

Unpopular opinion: OPACY sucks.  It was designed the "old" way, with closed concourses that make it so there's no air flow in many of the seating areas and you sweat your balls off, and when you go to get a beer or to the bathroom you're in a dark-dingy concourse with no way to see the game.  Most of the new ballparks have lots of "social" areas all throughout the park where you can hang out and watch the game besides being in your seat, and OPACY has only one or two.  They're nice, and the view / atmosphere is very nice, but it is obviously a park that was built 30 years ago, and isn't even close to being in the top tier of parks.

Hotter take: I don't like open concourses.   When I used to go to the old Stadium, I would travel through those dingy tunnels and then, when I got to my section, I'd travel through a small tunnel and pop out to the blue sky, green field, and roaring crowd.   It's a moment that poems have been written about, coming out and seeing that panorama for the first time.

In the new Stadium, I'd turn a corner and see a distant bit of green and the front of whatever section was across the way.   I could get closer and slowly reveal the field, but with an overbearing darkness looming overhead.   As for actually watching the game, it's ground balls only in most of the concourses as anything in the air is going to disappear from view with the next deck up above you unless you're behind home plate.

083fieldlevel.jpg

And even then, that's when you're right up against the sections in spots that nowadays are often sold as SRO seats.   If you're halfway to the concession stands...

088sections119-120.jpg

And in the upper deck you're only getting the occasional fly.

015terracelevel.jpg

And due to the proximity to seats without the wall in between, the radio broadcast that used to be broadcast in the tunnels so you're always in tune with the game wherever you are are now quieter and can be hit and miss.   Usually in the open concourse I'd focus more on televisions than the field unless I was waiting for something and got right up on the backs of the rich folk.

spacer.png

spacer.png

3 hours ago, BBTV said:

Braves have removed the ASG patch from their gray jerseys, though you can clearly see the remnants of it.  It looks terrible - not sure if it's glue or stitching that's left behind, but they may need to get all new jerseys for their next road trip.

EDIT:

The Braves look like they are trying to kick their smoking habits.

I saw, I came, I left.

44 minutes ago, Dynasty said:

Yadier Molina is still a punk.

maxresdefault.jpg

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

1 hour ago, Silent Wind of Doom said:

Hotter take: I don't like open concourses.   When I used to go to the old Stadium, I would travel through those dingy tunnels and then, when I got to my section, I'd travel through a small tunnel and pop out to the blue sky, green field, and roaring crowd.   It's a moment that poems have been written about, coming out and seeing that panorama for the first time.

In the new Stadium, I'd turn a corner and see a distant bit of green and the front of whatever section was across the way.   I could get closer and slowly reveal the field, but with an overbearing darkness looming overhead.   As for actually watching the game, it's ground balls only in most of the concourses as anything in the air is going to disappear from view with the next deck up above you unless you're behind home plate.

083fieldlevel.jpg

And even then, that's when you're right up against the sections in spots that nowadays are often sold as SRO seats.   If you're halfway to the concession stands...

088sections119-120.jpg

And in the upper deck you're only getting the occasional fly.

015terracelevel.jpg

And due to the proximity to seats without the wall in between, the radio broadcast that used to be broadcast in the tunnels so you're always in tune with the game wherever you are are now quieter and can be hit and miss.   Usually in the open concourse I'd focus more on televisions than the field unless I was waiting for something and got right up on the backs of the rich folk.

I've been to 21 stadiums. The new Yankee stadium is trash. It is just steel and concrete and too large. Has zero character and reminds me nothing other than carbon copy outdoor malls that you see in every town that try to be "unique". The only redeeming quality that it had was it Yankee museum which was great and worth the visit alone. 

6 hours ago, Marlins93 said:

I think the Angelos sons, assuming they inherit the team, are hoping to open up the concourses in an effort to modernize the park. I agree that would be a major improvement but that sounds like a very expensive and long renovation project. I can't imagine something like that being easy from an engineering standpoint.

They were pretty successful in Cleveland and Progressive Field definitely felt enclosed like Camden Yards before. I absolutely love Camden Yard, gorgeous baseball stadium but it definitely feels weird now that every other new stadium has open concourse which is great to watch the game while at concessions or escape your seat and have a beer somewhere you can breathe a bit especially when the place is packed. I have a couple toddlers in strollers these years and open concourse stadiums are a must... I remember seating behind home plate at Camden some years ago with a wall all around our back on a hot summer afternoon, felt like an absolute broiler.

https://www.mlb.com/indians/news/indians-announce-progressive-field-renovations/c-142539346

Trust me, Camden Yards is not a stadium you just walk away from. They will not be building a new stadium any time soon, no way. 

The O's have absolutely been on MLB's you-know-what list due to the MASN dispute. I don't know if Angelos' sons taking over will help but I guess time will tell. 

4 hours ago, BBTV said:

What is the rainbow-mirrored covering on the front of catchers helmets for?

I've always wondered that too.  d'Arnaud's was super reflective today.  Also never noticed the spring shock absorber jawns in the mask before.  That's pretty neat.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

3 hours ago, selgy said:

I've been to 21 stadiums. The new Yankee stadium is trash. It is just steel and concrete and too large. Has zero character and reminds me nothing other than carbon copy outdoor malls that you see in every town that try to be "unique". The only redeeming quality that it had was it Yankee museum which was great and worth the visit alone. 

The fans are always fun too.

It's beautiful to have the frieze back in place and upgrades like being able to access the whole park rather than the bleachers being seperated, better food, better sightlines, and such are nice, but there is a lot of lost soul, sadly.

1 hour ago, ptaylor said:

Trust me, Camden Yards is not a stadium you just walk away from. They will not be building a new stadium any time soon, no way. 

The O's have absolutely been on MLB's you-know-what list due to the MASN dispute. I don't know if Angelos' sons taking over will help but I guess time will tell. 

It's viewed as one of the top parks by many fans and I've absolutely no clue where they'd be able to find another site.   That complex on the harbor in the heart of the city?   Is there anywhere else they'd possibly be able to relocate without just heading for the suburbs?

spacer.png

spacer.png

23 hours ago, BBTV said:

22 hours ago, MNtwins3 said:

I won't fully blame them for this because it was unexpected, and they're on the road. If it isn't better by their first homestand, then I will be more upset at how sloppy this is

Probably also has something to do with the level of difficulty in stripping anything off the Flex-Base fabric.  Unless you're extremely careful it's really easy to destroy the fabric.  It's easier for the equipment staff to just quickly sew the cover over the patch on the however many jerseys they had to get done in a short period of time.

They'll probably have new jerseys on their upcoming homestand and net road trip.

2 hours ago, tp49 said:

Probably also has something to do with the level of difficulty in stripping anything off the Flex-Base fabric.  Unless you're extremely careful it's really easy to destroy the fabric.  It's easier for the equipment staff to just quickly sew the cover over the patch on the however many jerseys they had to get done in a short period of time.

They'll probably have new jerseys on their upcoming homestand and net road trip.

I'd respect them more if they simply removed the whole sleeve, and wore one-sleeved jerseys for the duration of their trip.

4 minutes ago, infrared41 said:

The Baltimore Orioles are going 162-0. You heard it here first. 🙃

They'll be playing the Phillies in the first ever world series contested between undefeated teams.

If the Orioles go 162-0, I'll get "infrared41 is my daddy" tattooed across my stomach.

If the Phillies go 162-0, you get "PROPERTY OF BBTV" on your chest, over your heart.

deal?

1 minute ago, BBTV said:

They'll be playing the Phillies in the first ever world series contested between undefeated teams.

If the Orioles go 162-0, I'll get "infrared41 is my daddy" tattooed across my stomach.

If the Phillies go 162-0, you get "PROPERTY OF BBTV" on your chest, over your heart.

deal?

giphy.gif

BB52Big.jpg

If the Mets go 162-0, every forum member has to get "I'M IN PHONE" tatted on their foreheads.

2 hours ago, BBTV said:

I'd respect them more if they simply removed the whole sleeve, and wore one-sleeved jerseys for the duration of their trip.

RhmOMvO.gif

"If things have gone wrong, I'm talking to myself, and you've got a wet towel wrapped around your head."

Archived