Major League Football - Reimagining the 1970 AFL-NFL Merger (San Francisco 49ers update - series complete)

BayBaseballFan

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, BayBaseballFan said:

@ralphzThat's actually a really good call on the helmets. It definitely differentiates them from Washington's look. Also the front direction instead of back to front makes it feel less attached to Native American canotations. 

spacer.png

Still not sold on the gold helmets and pants.

Maybe just have purple and either black or gold. Or how about purple and silver?

Jacksonville Jaguars - Florida's cats get some capes

So I'll admit the Jaguars were one of the last teams I did. So coming up with a totally unique concept was getting a little more difficult. The first thing I decided upon was the helmet script. It actually had a lot to do with my own artist limitations in terms of being unable to create a new jaguar logo. Then I remembered seeing the Creighton Jays script helmet a while back and felt like a four-letter script logo would fit with the era. Next and maybe more controversially came the "capes" on the jerseys. Originally a ridiculed element of the mid-60's Steelers uniforms, I always had a soft spot for it. If anyone actually reads these - could use some advice on how to avoid the clash of the "cape" with the name plate on the home jerseys. The cape didn't seem to have a sharp enough edge without the black and making the name white blended in too much with the tan. Lastly, the alt logo. I cheated and recolored an old style University of Missouri decal. I felt too guilty to put "Jax" on the helmet, but I think it's nice as a secondary mark.

Next up - the Atlanta Falcons feature some jersey feathers.

spacer.png

References / Inspiration

spacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.png

• BayBaseballFan changed the title to Major League Football - Reimagining the 1970 AFL-NFL Merger (Jacksonville Jaguars update)
1 hour ago, neo_prankster said:

Still not sold on the gold helmets and pants.

Maybe just have purple and either black or gold. Or how about purple and silver?

@neo_pranksterHmm. Silver could work. I personally prefer gold since it's one of the elements of their shield. Might add it to the list to revisit once the whole series is over.

For the Jags, could you make the thin stripe white in between the teal and black? Also, maybe darken the gold so that the name contrasts(or make the name white with a black outline).

2 hours ago, LA Fakers+ LA Snippers said:

For the Jags, could you make the thin stripe white in between the teal and black? Also, maybe darken the gold so that the name contrasts(or make the name white with a black outline).

I second this suggestion, and believe it'll make the uniform really stand out. 

N3d5IIl.png

19 hours ago, neo_prankster said:

Why not just teal and gold and have the black be a color they can add later on?

Yeah I can see a gold helmet in the 60s and then switching to black later on.

• 4 months later...

*** Quick aside - I know this thread has been dormant for a few months. Went through some mostly positive life changes with a move, new job, etc. so it took me away from this. Planning on finishing this out now that I've cleared most of those hurdles. *** 

Atlanta Falcons - the Dirty Birds feature some feathers

Feathers are quickly becoming a recurring theme for all the bird-based teams throughout this series. When I was originally creating these, the bird-oriented teams were a little more spread out than the order I'm posting them. Regardless, the main inspiration for these were a combination of the original Falcons color scheme and the graphical shoulder stripes of the Chargers. I've personally always preferred the Falcons in red helmets. The minor adjustment I made was to remove the original gold outer helmet striping and replace it with the gray present in the rest of the uniform.

The biggest addition are the shoulder stripes with the graphical outline of the feathers going from front to back. Contrasting collars along with differentiated pants and socks for home and away complete the look. As one of the newer teams in the late 60's, the wordmark and secondary logo are fairly simple with italicized fonts representing forward motion. 

Next up - the Houston Texans go "back to the future" with a modern name, but historic color scheme.

Xp1WJCl.jpg

References / Inspiration

AwEzFF0m.pngkJmNdHil.jpg

• BayBaseballFan changed the title to Major League Football - Reimagining the 1970 AFL-NFL Merger (Atlanta Falcons update)

@LA Fakers+ LA Snippers Thanks! Yeah.. There's part of me that completely wants to redo the Ravens on some level. But I really do like that helmet feather decal. It was on one of those singular elements that really made me want to try this project. Once I've posted all the remaining teams I'll circle back and try to take action on some of the suggestions for the Jaguars, Ravens, etc.

Houston Texans - Texas football history combined into one set

If I'm completely honest, this was a team I had my eye on from the start. I always had a soft spot for the old Oilers' color scheme. The oil derrick logo is iconic. And with my "rules" in place for this requiring me to use the modern team name, "Texans" also could allude to the original AFL franchise Dallas Texans. In the end I wound up combining some elements of all three: the Dallas Texans, Houston Oilers and modern-day Texans. The color scheme is taken from the end of the Oilers' stay in Houston. The number font is a reference to the Oilers' early AFL days. 

The helmet logo is a slightly modified version of the Dallas Texans' helmet decal. And the modern-day Texans are represented with the simple shoulder stripes. The secondary logo is an altered version of the Texas state flag in Oilers' colors. A heart replaces the typical star in reference to the Oilers' "Love Ya Blue" motto with a new, interlocking H & T monogram.

Next up - the Indianapolis Colts get a little local flavor.

GrXSfxW.jpg

References / Inspiration

IE6dNRKm.pngNzOvxAPm.jpgZgd12Dvm.jpg1RreWtbm.png

• BayBaseballFan changed the title to Major League Football - Reimagining the 1970 AFL-NFL Merger (Houston Texans update)

Indianapolis Colts - football's original ponies get some Midwestern flavor

Personally, I've always felt the Colts are one of those sport franchises whose uniforms are pretty untouchable. Their simplicity, longevity and ties to some of the game's greats like Johnny Unitas and Peyton Manning put them in the sports uniform class of the Yankees, Canadiens, Lakers and Celtics. So the tweaks for this series are minimal. The shoulder stripes in the jerseys were thinned slightly to more match the pant striping.

The helmet logo is where most of the adjustments were made. While there was arguably less local imagery in team identities back in the 60's, the Colts' presence as the state's first "Big Four" franchise (in this timeline, pre-dating the Pacers' move to the NBA) would generate a lot of civic and state pride. So the central torch from the Indiana state flag is incorporated into the horseshoe logo with the flag's array of stars replacing the traditional horseshoe nails. The central star and roundel from the Indianapolis city flag is layered on top of the torch. Overall, it's probably an unnecessary change as the Colts' actual look is just classic. But hey, all 32 teams need to have something tweaked for this little exercise.

Next up - the Tennessee Titans' fauxbacks blend some elements of their Oilers' origins and Nashville-based designs.

cWatzTS.jpg

References / Inspiration

urJaxDUm.jpgOPOREARm.gif34f4AZGm.png

• BayBaseballFan changed the title to Major League Football - Reimagining the 1970 AFL-NFL Merger (Indianapolis Colts update)

Tennessee Titans - Oilers' history combines with some Music City elements

I realized after I'd finished all this that I had a bigger affinity for the Houston Oilers old look than even I had realized. So when it came time to create fauxbacks for the Titans, I had to incorporate a few more elements from that franchise. The cuff, pant and sock stripes are a direct facsimile of what the late-stage Oilers wore. There's something about that red, white and baby blue combo that just works. I know I've probably over-indexed on the contrasting sleeves throughout this series, but it felt more appropriate given the Titans' look in the real world has predominantly been two-tone in navy and powder blue.

The silver-gray pants and helmets allude to the Oilers from the latter half of the 60's. And lastly, the Titans' sword logo is reworked and simplified to be a little more era appropriate. The swords are carried over with alternating handle colors as part of the wordmark. The roundel just features a thickened version of the red outline to feature the circular script. 

Next up - the Kansas City Chiefs get some touch-ups to their classic set.

VXVamAh.jpg

References / Inspiration

a3E9ilBm.jpg3rx7iAGm.pngea0cwxBm.pngEQj29Kem.jpg

• BayBaseballFan changed the title to Major League Football - Reimagining the 1970 AFL-NFL Merger (Tennessee Titans update)

Kansas City Chiefs - AFL's flagship franchise gets some geometric flair

The Chiefs are another team where the longevity of their look owes an air of tradition and significance to the AFL's founding franchise. Once the team completed their move from Dallas (as the Texans), their Kansas City look has remained almost unaltered over 60 years. One minor detail that's always bugged me about the Chiefs is their helmet logo. The arrowhead graphic is classic, but the black outlines have always felt off to me. Those are changed to the team's shade of yellow. 

The red road pants are dropped in favor of the white set. The all-white road uniforms have always been a cleaner look to me. By far the most noticeable tweak are the geometric shapes on the sleeves. The idea was to be a blend of combining the diamond shape end zone designs that were popular during that era with a sort of subtle nod to a streamlined arrowhead shape. Not sure it works, but I do like the contrasting sleeve number colors. Finally, the real-world Chiefs' Lamar Hunt memorial patch is referenced (as he's still alive in this timeline) with an AFL logo instead alluding to the team and league's founding in 1960.

Next up - the Arizona Cardinals pick up a few more desert-specific elements.

pP6cTEx.jpg

References / Inspirations

e5Bm91Am.png7s3YBgAm.jpg

• BayBaseballFan changed the title to Major League Football - Reimagining the 1970 AFL-NFL Merger (Kansas City Chiefs update)
  • 2 weeks later...

Arizona Cardinals - the birds pick up a few desert touches as they migrate south

Over the bulk of the Cardinals' history, they've had a remarkably consistent and straightforward look. While the team's nickname may have originated from University of Chicago's second hand jerseys, the franchise's move to St. Louis cemented the bird-based moniker. The team's stop in Missouri also added some distinctive sleeve stripes. For the team's transition to Arizona, the striping pattern is updated and expanded to include the four colors of the state flag: shades of red, yellow, copper and blue.

The striping motif is carried over to the pants with a simplified version on the socks. The blend of colors is a bit overwhelming and probably works better on the white road jersey. The striping is also applied to the wordmark. It was kind of meant to be a signature feature, a la the Astros "tequila sunrise" elements throughout the 70's and early 80's. Also, the stripes through the wordmark vaguely alludes to sarape designs found in Mexican culture. Lastly, the Cardinals' running bird secondary logo is updated to replace the Gateway Arch with a desert landscape.

Next up - the Las Vegas Raiders go to the dark side on the strip.

7kz5bpP.jpg

References / Inspiration

W2mmlH0m.jpg2isJeoQm.png5p49Uy9m.jpgDCFvbH9m.gifspacer.png

Archived