USFL 2023 Season

Skycast

It's a big jump from running televised scrimmages out of San Antonio to running an actual competitive league that's supposed to draw fans in multiple cities. To get that up and running in nine friggin' months seems impossible. This seems as doomed as every other USFL reboot that's been attempted over the past two decades.

EDIT: What's that logo font, Verdana Extra Bold? That bodes well.

• Like 5
On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

Nostalgia pandering has gotten way out of control. Why can’t people just create new things instead of just rebooting the same thing over and over again?

Also, alternative football leagues need like a million different things to go right just to get a foothold. The Spring League has a nice niche as it is, why are they risking that? 

• Like 5

Folks may have seen me post about this before, but I have so many fond memories of the USFL. I grew up in south central Florida, graduated high school in 1986 and went to many Bandits games in Tampa.

One thing that baffles me right out of the gate is how in this day and age can they make an announcement like this without even a freakin' league website? Even something minimal with just the logo, that's just crazy.
  • Like 6

So are they trying to kill off the XFL then? Does this push the XFL to later in 2022, or even 2023? It just doesn't make sense to me. Having access to all of the old logos is fine, but I'd think that some need to be updated.  And where are they looking to start the teams? San Antonio (Gunslingers), Orlando (Renegades), Birmingham (Stallions), Portland, OR (Breakers), Tulsa (Oklahoma Outlaws),  and Memphis (Showboats) are currently without NFL teams but where lese would they be able to play and do the  Portland Timbers/Thorns want to share the field with another football team after previously having Portland State play there? St. Louis is another city option as well but I can't see a team in Oakland unless that stadium gets massive work done and the city isn't doing that for the team currently there. 

1 hour ago, Red Comet said:

Nostalgia pandering has gotten way out of control. Why can’t people just create new things instead of just rebooting the same thing over and over again?

Also, alternative football leagues need like a million different things to go right just to get a foothold. The Spring League has a nice niche as it is, why are they risking that? 

The only good thing I think can come from this is the amount of concept logos that other people will design for this. 

• Like 5

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

If they can't shell out for "usfl dot com," I don't think they're going to be able to sustain eight professional teams for a full season.

• Like 6

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

A spring football league can work and I think it would benefit fans and players.

But all of these new leagues popping up every year separately to compete against each other? Never going to work.

If the XFL and USFL can find a way to work together and someday create a pipeline to the NFL. Then they might be on to something....

• Like 5

44 minutes ago, MJWalker45 said:

So are they trying to kill off the XFL then? Does this push the XFL to later in 2022, or even 2023?

32 minutes ago, VDizzle12 said:

A spring football league can work and I think it would benefit fans and players.

But all of these new leagues popping up every year separately to compete against each other? Never going to work.

If the XFL and USFL can find a way to work together and someday create a pipeline to the NFL. Then they might be on to something....

Keep in mind that the XFL already started talks about some sort of partnership/collaboration with the CFL. The CFL is the premier non-NFL football (professional) league and the XFL 2.0 seemed to at least be doing some things right until the pandemic and then another group with some big names swooped in to buy it.

I think whatever comes out of the CFL-XFL thing, even if it's nothing, would have ramifications on non-NFL professional football in the States.

• Like 1

IEI5Tg1.png

3 minutes ago, monkeypower said:

Keep in mind that the XFL already started talks about some sort of partnership/collaboration with the CFL. The CFL is the premier non-NFL football (professional) league and the XFL 2.0 seemed to at least be doing some things right until the pandemic and then another group with some big names swooped in to buy it.

I think whatever comes out of the CFL-XFL thing, even if it's nothing, would have ramifications on non-NFL professional football in the States.

I wonder if we see that joint venture where the US teams become the CFL American expansion 2.0. But that comes with the issues of finding stadiums with the requisite field sizes needed.  Length wise shouldn't be an issue but width will still be. 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

3 minutes ago, monkeypower said:

I'm assuming at minimum we'll see a mini superbowl between the CFL-XFL. Maybe eventually add in some interleague games during the regular season too. 

The CFL always seemed to want to create a following in the US and the XFL just wants to survive. Seemed like a perfect match for both leagues. 

3 hours ago, Skycast said:

Here we go again...man, I’d love to see the return of these old brands updated for today with some entertaining football, but obviously another long shot.

https://www.foxsports.com/presspass/latest-news/2021/06/03/united-states-football-league-returns-2022

https://www.foxsports.com/watch/1904371779924

So which lucky cities do we think will get teams? I'm thinking San Diego might be in the loop this time with a right sized brand new stadium opening in fall 2022 that will be in need of tenants to help pay for its construction cost.  Not to mention it's a largely blank NFL market right now with the Chargers gone and having scorched the earth behind them. 

22 minutes ago, GDAWG said:

The CFL-XFL thing has a lot of issues to be hammered out.  Die hard fans of Canadian football don't want the XFL to ruin their game.  

Honestly the XFL would do well to adopt as much of the CFL's rule set on American sized fields as possible if they want to jump interest. CFL football is IMO far more exciting form of football. And it helps off set some of the deficiencies in the overall quality of the players. 

• Like 4

My vague understanding of the CFL-XFL partnership is that it's cost efficient for two leagues to run out of one operational structure, especially after both bled out during the pandemic. I would guess that you'll still see Canadian football played in Canada, and American football in America, and never the twain shall meet. Getting regulation-size CFL fields in the States was just one of the logistical stumbling blocks last time around.

1 hour ago, Skycast said:
My bad, there is one: http://usfl2.com/

But dang it wasn't easy to find.

Site is pure bare bones and that is clearly an indication of a great start. Social media isn’t much better.

Facebook

Twitter

Instagram

And somehow looking at this operation, Fly By Night is the phrase I can best think of. And the song. 

• Like 3