USFL 2023 Season

Skycast

Reading that article, it sounded more like the original USFL owners want to find out who just got loaded from selling merchandizing rights that they have no right to and are willing to work with Fox. I don't know who just earned ill-gotten gains but it should be interesting. 

As for reviving Firefly? That show is neat, but I liked it better when it was called Cowboy Bebop. 

Intro is amazing and there is no other reason at all why I'd post it. 

• Like 5

TSL supposedly continuing and Fox having an ownership stake in the new USFL tells me that the Fox-XFL relationship is no more. 

I wonder if the XFL will head to NBC. Yes, NBCSN is dying but NBC will have slots to fill during the spring with no NHL and they could put games on USA and Peacock.

Athletic Director: KTU Blue Grassers Football

Here's a post where he claims to have some domains.  I don't know what usfl.info is, but I wonder if he somehow made a buck off of this.

• Like 2

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

15 hours ago, Red Comet said:

Nostalgia pandering has gotten way out of control. Why can’t people just create new things instead of just rebooting the same thing over and over again?

RIP AAF, you were too good for this world 😔

• Like 10

11 hours ago, BBTV said:

Here's a post where he claims to have some domains.  I don't know what usfl.info is, but I wonder if he somehow made a buck off of this.

I think Donald Trump made a buck out of the old league, right?

I saw, I came, I left.

13 hours ago, DNAsports said:

One thing I loved about the XFL 2.0 that I hope this new USFL2 does, was the innovative rules changes.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/ftw.usatoday.com/2020/02/xfl-rule-differences-explained/amp

I was particularly a fan of the 1-2-3 point conversion attempts. It actually made it relatively exciting to watch.

Same here, I’ve been hoping that if the CFL and XFL merge the majority of CFL rules stay, but the XFL PAT rules added a great element of strategy to things. I dug them as well.

Not sure if I read it here or elsewhere, but saw someone mention that all these spring leagues (AAF, XFL, now USFL) should just quit trying to go it alone, pool their money and resources and make a go at it together. Certainly would have deeper coffers and a better chance to survive that way.

7 minutes ago, Skycast said:

Same here, I’ve been hoping that if the CFL and XFL merge the majority of CFL rules stay, but the XFL PAT rules added a great element of strategy to things. I dug them as well.

Not sure if I read it here or elsewhere, but saw someone mention that all these spring leagues (AAF, XFL, now USFL) should just quit trying to go it alone, pool their money and resources and make a go at it together. Certainly would have deeper coffers and a better chance to survive that way.

So this as a business strategy:

spacer.png

• Like 7

13 hours ago, BBTV said:

Usfl.info is his website where he has cataloged all of his USFL 'stuff. 

It's where I sit.

Curious about this, I began noodling around the USPTO trademark database to see what The Spring League's been up to. 

Between Jan. 14 and Jan. 21 it filed applications for trademarks for several pre-existing USFL brands (Oakland, Michigan, Philadelphia, Baltimore, Denver, Memphis, L.A., Chicago, Houston, Tampa Bay, New Jersey, Pittsburgh, New Orleans) and two that weren't part of the original league: the St. Louis Invaders and Dallas Stallions.  It filed two more applications for old USFL brands — Oklahoma Outlaws and Arizona Wranglers --  on March 3. 

In each case, it's identified as "applicant" rather than "registrant." I'm not a trademark lawyer by any means, but I'd guess this means they don't yet own the rights to the names -- they're merely applying for the trademarks at this point. (By contrast, a separate filing from 2015 indicates they are the registered trademark owner of United States Football League LLC, and not just an applicant. )

Regardless, this at least gives us a sense of what markets they could be targeting, particularly with the inclusion of Dallas and St. Louis.

It also might give us a sense of where they aren't looking.

For example,  while they filed applications for the Stars in both Philadelphia and Baltimore, they only filed applications for the Breakers in New Orleans — and not Portland or Boston. The also have not filed trademark applications for the Washington Federals, Orlando Renegades, San Antonio Gunslingers or Jacksonville Bulls. 

• Like 6

3 hours ago, Skycast said:

That's been one of the biggest head scratchers with these alternate football leagues. Rather than pooling resources and putting something together with all of those resources that might have a chance of surviving, they keep coming at it separately completely under capitalized, splitting interest in a scattershot group of cities... and seem shocked when they run out of cash a year in. Rinse and repeat... You put the money that was blown on AAF, XFL 2.0, XFL 2.1 and USFL, and they'd likely have had a great league. 

Same could be said for minor league soccer for that matter. At least there, there's a somewhat established league with USL. But rather than join up and support it you get numbskulls like the guys hemorrhaging money on NISA. And now MLS is going to be throwing their hat in the ring just to further fragment the Division 3 level. 

• Like 4

20 hours ago, Geoff said:

TSL supposedly continuing and Fox having an ownership stake in the new USFL tells me that the Fox-XFL relationship is no more. 

I wonder if the XFL will head to NBC. Yes, NBCSN is dying but NBC will have slots to fill during the spring with no NHL and they could put games on USA and Peacock.

NBC replacing Fox would make sense since the WWE is now on Peacock and USA, though they still have Smackdown on Fox. If ABC/ESPN were back on board, and NBC/Peacock are there too the XFL would reach significantly further than the Fox/FS1/FS2 channels would with USFL/Spring League games.

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

6 hours ago, bosrs1 said:

That's been one of the biggest head scratchers with these alternate football leagues.

The AAF originally pitched their idea to Vince McMahon as the second version of the XFL. Vince said "screw these guys I'll do it myself," leaving the AAF people to create a new name for their league.

Either way it wouldn't have helped. Even assuming the XFL and AAF people combined their capital the league would have been killed by COVID.

• Like 6

I hadn't even thought of a hypothetical world in which the AAF got through that first season. Even if XFL2 hadn't arrived, it seems unlikely that they would have survived COVID. I wouldn't mind seeing some of the AAF brands revitalized someday, especially the Apollos. Maybe we'll get a long-running spring league before the next generation realizes that football should die.

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/3/2021 at 8:44 PM, Red Comet said:

Reading that article, it sounded more like the original USFL owners want to find out who just got loaded from selling merchandizing rights that they have no right to and are willing to work with Fox. I don't know who just earned ill-gotten gains but it should be interesting. 

As for reviving Firefly? That show is neat, but I liked it better when it was called Cowboy Bebop. 

Intro is amazing and there is no other reason at all why I'd post it. 

I think it's time we blow this scene.
Get everybody and the stuff together.

• Like 5

• 4 months later...

According to AL.com, the new Fox Sports-owned USFL will play its entire 12-week season next spring and summer in Birmingham, Alabama's Protective Stadium, under a bubble-like system similar to the one the NBA used during its 2020 season.. The eight-team league will include the resurrection of the Birmingham Stallions, though there are no immediate details about the identities of the other franchises.

Here's the story at AL.com.

• Like 3

The USFL will have use of Protective Stadium for up to 40 games, plus three playoff games from about April 15, 2022, to July 3, 2022, at no cost, according to a non-binding Memorandum of Understanding between the Birmingham Jefferson Civic Center (BJCC) and the National Spring Football League (NSFL, which owns the USFL) obtained by AL.com.”

Call me when it actually happens. 

• Like 4