USFL 2023 Season

Skycast

I thought the first two games were played well for the most part for teams just learning to play with each other. The look of the games was pretty good and really like the aesthetics for the most part.

Overall I thought it was great to watch and I am looking forward to watching more games . It did hurt them that the games we delayed/postponed. Probably will not have as much issue going forward as the games are more spread out. I do think attendance will suffer some but should be expected .

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Red Comet said:

At this point, my belief in these spring leagues is “Trust, but verify”. I want there to be viable competition/alternative to the NFL but every league I’ve seen so far has failed to even come close with only the UFL and NFL Europe lasting more than a season in my 32 years on Earth. I hope the best for the players and coaches, but I’ll have hope in its viability if/when Season 2 rolls around. 

I think that's the kicker, that point there. most people want NFL football in March and April and get mad because the guys that are the next step down aren't as good as the NFL.  Even when NFL Europe used second and third string players to get them reps, the fact is they weren't as good as the guys that play from September to February. But I want to see good football, and some of the  plays that were made are quite entertaining so I'll keep watching. now if every week was like Sunday, attendance wise? You'll see people getting angry about not enough fans in the stands, but I think unless you have rolling storms like happened, you'll see a decent crowd when it's teams that aren't the Stallions. 

17 hours ago, Ferdinand Cesarano said:

What complaints about the lack of fans in the stands miss is that the owners and organisers of this league knew that few fans would turn out (except perhaps for a Stallions game), and didn't care.  The point is to show the games on television; the in-person crowd is irrelevant for this first season.

That's what happened with the AAF once the XFL 2.0 said they were coming back. The difference here is that Fox Sports can handle the expected losses for those first three years and they have more to lose by the league failing than NBC did when they dropped out of the XFL 1.0. That can force your hand in staying the course when you can't share the losses. 

19 hours ago, CS85 said:

1.  Do you like football?

2.  Do you want to watch football when the NFL/NCAA are off?

Some of the people who complain about the play in these first games are the same people who pay full price to watch spring game football at the D1 level, where the QB is "down" if the DE looks at him before the snap and "tackles" are 2 hand tap. 

Personally, I like the idea of talking about something other than the NFL from February to June. Which is impossible because I sit next to a Bills fan at work, but at least seeing pros playing football in April and it's not just video from training camps is great. 

• Like 3

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

3 hours ago, MJWalker45 said:

Some of the people who complain about the play in these first games are the same people who pay full price to watch spring game football at the D1 level, where the QB is "down" if the DE looks at him before the snap and "tackles" are 2 hand tap. 

You know this ... how?

If this isn't meant to be a statement of fact but is rather a statement of frustration, my apologies. If it is a statement of frustration, assigning one's frustration to the other side of the argument does nothing to advance the argument.

Just my two rusted Lincolns -TM @tBBP

It's where I sit.

5 minutes ago, Sec19Row53 said:

You know this ... how?

If this isn't meant to be a statement of fact but is rather a statement of frustration, my apologies. If it is a statement of frustration, assigning one's frustration to the other side of the argument does nothing to advance the argument.

I was using a bit of hyperbole here, because it seems to be that the loudest voices against leagues like this succeeding, (not necessarily people here, just in general), are of the opinion that if it's not NFL or FBS football it's not worth looking at. 

• Like 2

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

2 hours ago, Sec19Row53 said:

😀

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

On 4/19/2022 at 2:58 PM, CS85 said:

The animosity in this thread is weird.  Answer these questions:

1.  Do you like football?

2.  Do you want to watch football when the NFL/NCAA are off?

If the answer to either of those is yes, maybe learn to take your meds consistently and find the pleasure in life, not sweating the small stuff like "which is the best spring football league" debates.

I think the Arizona Coyotes/Glendale thread turned a lot of people on this board into weirdos who want to poorly cosplay icecap, admiral, sodboy, etc.  by dropping trow and urinating on any Sports Thing that seems buffoonish or amateur.  Besides the unoriginality of those knock-off posters, they're only mocking the NHL, and it's 100% merited.

These fledgling spring football endeavors are only acceptable to trash in a Basically Sports podcast, and that's heavily tongue in cheek, because we not-so-secretly love all janky smalltime sport ops. 

If the USFL looks crappy to you, don't watch.   If you prefer the next iteration of the XFL, cool.  But mocking attendance and overall function of a league that barely exists is low-effort posting, IMO.

Well bloody said.

Go Bandits! 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, tigers said:

Some of the uniforms are looking pretty bad live, they either clash or look like they have the same colours.

8 teams could of had 8 seperate colours.

True. But they are trying to stay close to the original color sets the original teams wore. That's why there's so much red in the league. 

I think Australian Football Leagues have this same problem as well, with the difference usually being the color shorts worn. 

What to Watch: How About Cherry-Pit Spitting or Australian Rules Football?  - The New York Times

Coronavirus Sport: Australian Rules Football Rules, Teams Explained

The hidden struggle for women's footy | Green Left

Some of the USFL teams have two sets of pants so that will help as well.

USFL Teams Reveal Uniforms for 2022 Season

• Like 3

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

14 hours ago, MJWalker45 said:

True. But they are trying to stay close to the original color sets the original teams wore. That's why there's so much red in the league. 

I think Australian Football Leagues have this same problem as well, with the difference usually being the color shorts worn. 

What to Watch: How About Cherry-Pit Spitting or Australian Rules Football?  - The New York Times

Coronavirus Sport: Australian Rules Football Rules, Teams Explained

The hidden struggle for women's footy | Green Left

Some of the USFL teams have two sets of pants so that will help as well.

USFL Teams Reveal Uniforms for 2022 Season

I think you'll find with Australian Football there is 18 teams not 8 and most sides now have an alternate jumper.

1. is Navy Blue v Black and Yellow, white shorts is away team

2. Red, white and black v black, white and teal in Shanghai

3. Red, white and Royal Blue v Red and Dark Blue, first womens' game. They didn't have clash jumpers then.

Maybe you should of used the A League as an example?

Remember the AFL  is older than any USA Ball game and 12 of the 18 teams are either over or close to 100 years old.

Logano wins BOWL before Chargers.

8 hours ago, tigers said:

I think you'll find with Australian Football there is 18 teams not 8 and most sides now have an alternate jumper.

1. is Navy Blue v Black and Yellow, white shorts is away team

2. Red, white and black v black, white and teal in Shanghai

3. Red, white and Royal Blue v Red and Dark Blue, first womens' game. They didn't have clash jumpers then.

Maybe you should of used the A League as an example?

Remember the AFL  is older than any USA Ball game and 12 of the 18 teams are either over or close to 100 years old.

I'm saying that confusing teams during a game is more likely than a USFL or A League game when they decide to do this instead of wearing alt jumpers. It's pretty difficult to not tell the difference between teams in American football.

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

12 hours ago, MJWalker45 said:

I'm saying that confusing teams during a game is more likely than a USFL or A League game when they decide to do this instead of wearing alt jumpers. It's pretty difficult to not tell the difference between teams in American football.

Yes but if you have an 8 team only league there are enough colours for them to have their own colour.

As long as one team is dark and one is light the USFL would get away with both teams being coloured onfield.

I understand the previous USFL colours but this leagues was a fresh start and they bombed it totally by no West Coast team and to much red, red orange and similar tones.

Ok in US Footy it might be hard to see a difference at the game but i've watched my fair share on TV and it's fairly obvious which team is which, i mean one team is going one way and the other isn't for starters.

10 minutes ago, tigers said:

Yes but if you have an 8 team only league there are enough colours for them to have their own colour.

As long as one team is dark and one is light the USFL would get away with both teams being coloured onfield.

I understand the previous USFL colours but this leagues was a fresh start and they bombed it totally by no West Coast team and to much red, red orange and similar tones.

Ok in US Footy it might be hard to see a difference at the game but i've watched my fair share on TV and it's fairly obvious which team is which, i mean one team is going one way and the other isn't for starters.

But this league was never going to change colors. Yes they could have, but then they would get so much crap for doing that.

• Like 1

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

Just now, MJWalker45 said:

But this league was never going to change colors. Yes they could have, but then they would get so much crap for doing that.

Understand that's why i said they bombed with to much red and no West Coast teams.

I have enjoyed some of their games so far.

Just now, tigers said:

Understand that's why i said they bombed with to much red and no West Coast teams.

This is pure speculation on my part but I think they didn't add any West Coast teams because when they have these teams in their home markets it will reduce travel expenses. If (fairly big if, mind you) the league lasts long enough to expand I'd say the LA Express and Oakland(/Bay Area/San Jose/whatever) Invaders are locks.

• Like 2

the user formerly known as cdclt

3 hours ago, QCS said:

This is pure speculation on my part but I think they didn't add any West Coast teams because when they have these teams in their home markets it will reduce travel expenses. If (fairly big if, mind you) the league lasts long enough to expand I'd say the LA Express and Oakland(/Bay Area/San Jose/whatever) Invaders are locks.

Probably Bay Area/San Jose Invaders because there would be nowhere for the Invaders to play in Oakland.

• Like 1

On 4/22/2022 at 7:07 PM, MJWalker45 said:

The Philadelphia/Baltimore Stars actually did change their colors slightly; they were red and old/metallic gold in the 1980s, but they are now wearing red and yellow (a.k.a. "athletic gold"), sort of like the KC Chiefs.

spacer.png
spacer.png

Always bothered me back in the day how the Stars and Stallions, two 'year one' teams, had exactly the same color scheme and almost the same uni template. 
spacer.png
It's a bit different this time around.

• Like 1

It is what it is.