USFL 2023 Season

Skycast

57 minutes ago, gosioux76 said:

I'll be curious to see if the continue to limit themselves to the original USFL brands. I love it for nostalgia reasons, but it really lost some of its impact when, likely for legal reasons, they decided against referencing the original league during broadcasts. It stripped all of the historical relevance away from those brands.

I assume part of this strategy was predicated on nostalgia, and perhaps some cost reductions when it comes to securing trademark and copyright designations for new brands. They could always reapply the existing USFL brands to new cities, but doing so would also require them to reapply for copyright/trademark protections, I presume. 

If they settle with the original group that says they hold those brands I think you could see the references to the original league and teams come back next year. Reportedly they are looking to get funds to expand in 2024 as well.

https://nypost.com/2022/06/28/foxs-usfl-seeking-outside-investor-to-help-fund-expansion-sources/

I found it completely laughable with this statement though:

"With MLS franchises now worth about $400 million each, the math goes that the USFL with its eight teams could be worth at least $3.2 billion a few years down the road".

The whole league isn't even worth $200 million at the moment, how do they think it could appreciate that much? And how many years are a few? 

• WOAH 1

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

32 minutes ago, MJWalker45 said:

If they settle with the original group that says they hold those brands I think you could see the references to the original league and teams come back next year. Reportedly they are looking to get funds to expand in 2024 as well.

https://nypost.com/2022/06/28/foxs-usfl-seeking-outside-investor-to-help-fund-expansion-sources/

I found it completely laughable with this statement though:

"With MLS franchises now worth about $400 million each, the math goes that the USFL with its eight teams could be worth at least $3.2 billion a few years down the road".

The whole league isn't even worth $200 million at the moment, how do they think it could appreciate that much? And how many years are a few? 

Is the part that I bolded actually true?

Even if it is, it has no bearing on the second half of that sentence.

It's where I sit.

9 minutes ago, Sec19Row53 said:

I think St. Louis SC is paying $400 million to come in. His point may have been that the TV numbers in the U.S. were better than MLS and EPL, so that much mean they should cost more. 

• Like 2

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

3 hours ago, MJWalker45 said:

That's a great question. I'd imagine some of this would have to do with having 8 teams working in individual markets each selling local sponsorship deals, bringing in independent revenue streams. Yet even with new revenue related to being in-market, these teams would still likely be no more valuable than a CFL team at best.

The real qualifier in that line in the Post, however, is "a few years down the road." I'd guess the logic here assumes a long-term growth strategy that's built upon the other really interesting piece of that story: the surprisingly strong TV ratings. 

Sportico reported June 22 that the 10-week USFL broadcasts averaged 695,000 viewers a game which was much better than the 295,000 who watched MLS on the ESPN channels, according to Nielsen data. NBC’s broadcasts of Premier League games averaged 507,000 viewers.

Assuming those numbers are accurate, this is the fuel the league intends to use to drive its growth going forward. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Sec19Row53 said:

In July of last year, Sportico ran a piece in which the average Major League Soccer franchise value - based upon information gleaned from "60 stakeholders inside and outside MLS" by reporter Kurt Badenhausen - was pegged at $550 million. Los Angeles Football Club  had the top valuation at $860 million, while the Colorado Rapids were ranked lowest in value at $370 million. The piece set the collective fair-market value of the league's franchises - including team-related businesses and real estate holdings - at $14.9 billion.

Sportico's full list of team valuations was as follows:

1) LAFC - $860 million
2) Atlanta United - $845 million
3) LA Galaxy - $ 835 million
4) Seattle Sounders FC - $705 million

5) New York City FC - $655 million

6) Toronto FC - $650 million

7) Portland Timbers - $635 million

8 ) D.C. United - $630 million

9) Austin FC - $575 million

10) Sporting Kansas City - $550 million
11) Columbus Crew - $540 million
12) Chicago Fire FC - $535 million

13) Philadelphia Union - $530 million

14) Inter Miami CF - $525 million

15) Minnesota United - $520 million

16) San Jose Earthquakes - $510 million

17) New York Red Bulls - $505 million
18) FC Cincinnati - $500 million
19) New England Revolution - $480 million
20) Nashville SC - $460 million
21) Houston Dynamo FC - $425 million
22) Real Salt Lake - $420 million
23) FC Dallas - $415 million
24) Orlando City - $400 million
25) Vancouver Whitecaps FC - $385 million
26) CF Montreal - $380 million
27) Colorado Rapids - $370 million    

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Brian in Boston said:

In July of last year, Sportico ran a piece in which the average Major League Soccer franchise value - based upon information gleaned from "60 stakeholders inside and outside MLS" by reporter Kurt Badenhausen - was pegged at $550 million. Los Angeles Football Club  had the top valuation at $860 million, while the Colorado Rapids were ranked lowest in value at $370 million. The piece set the collective fair-market value of the league's franchises - including team-related businesses and real estate holdings - at $14.9 billion.

Sportico's full list of team valuations was as follows:

1) LAFC - $860 million
2) Atlanta United - $845 million
3) LA Galaxy - $ 835 million
4) Seattle Sounders FC - $705 million

5) New York City FC - $655 million

6) Toronto FC - $650 million

7) Portland Timbers - $635 million

8 ) D.C. United - $630 million

9) Austin FC - $575 million

10) Sporting Kansas City - $550 million
11) Columbus Crew - $540 million
12) Chicago Fire FC - $535 million

13) Philadelphia Union - $530 million

14) Inter Miami CF - $525 million

15) Minnesota United - $520 million

16) San Jose Earthquakes - $510 million

17) New York Red Bulls - $505 million
18) FC Cincinnati - $500 million
19) New England Revolution - $480 million
20) Nashville SC - $460 million
21) Houston Dynamo FC - $425 million
22) Real Salt Lake - $420 million
23) FC Dallas - $415 million
24) Orlando City - $400 million
25) Vancouver Whitecaps FC - $385 million
26) CF Montreal - $380 million
27) Colorado Rapids - $370 million    

LAFC being at $860 million isn't surprising seeing as how they have like 1,000 owners.  

• Like 1

On 6/28/2022 at 11:55 AM, GDAWG said:

A lot of people think that the second hub would be Philly, to build the Stars fanbase.  

1983 - Philadelphia Stars in the USFL Championship

1984 - Philadelphia Stars win the USFL Championship

1985 - Baltimore Stars win the USFL Championship

2022 - Philadelphia Stars in the USFL Championship.

Damn,  with a winning record like that,  you'd think the Stars would have a fanbase already. 😉

• Like 3

It is what it is.

3 hours ago, infrared41 said:

Yours truly will be at the USFL Championship Game tonight.

Nice. I was at the last one, in 1985. Have fun.

Even though I wanted the Generals to be there with Luis Perez, Darius Victor,  KaVontae Turpin and the rest of that great squad, it is satisfying from the standpoint of history that the Stars continue their streak of appearing in every USFL championship game.

logo-diamonds-for-CC-no-photo-sig.png

That was actually a really good Championship game. 

Feel bad for the Stars & Case Cookus. They had real chance to pull off something amazing after coming back from 20-9.  But story of his life, he gets injured at the worst possible time.  Odd had both starting QB got taken out in a championship game. 

That Pick 6 at the end really just killed them. 

Birmingham was undoubtedly the best team all season though, can't deny that. 

5 hours ago, oldschoolvikings said:

Canton is a great place to see a football game.  The hall of fame game was an annual guys trip for me and a few buddies for almost twenty years. 

The last time I was there was for a game was the return of the Browns at the HOF Game in '99. They've done a major upgrade to the place and...WOW.

BB52Big.jpg

4 minutes ago, infrared41 said:

The last time I was there was for a game was the return of the Browns at the HOF Game in '99. They've done a major upgrade to the place and...WOW.

I'm actually going there this weekend for the Women's Football Alliance National Championship...it IS a lovely stadium now.

When that Hall of Fame village is complete, it's gonna be somethin' spectacular!

bYhYmxh.png

Some quick thoughts on being at the game.

• The facility is top notch. The upgrades they've done to the place are amazing. It's easy to get around, the concourses are wide, the food was decently priced, and the staff was great. There isn't a bad seat in the house. A+
  • The crowd was WAY bigger than I thought it was going to be. I'd guess that the stadium was about 85-90% full.  The Stallions seemed to be the crowd favorite. There were quite a few people who traveled from Birmingham and Philadelphia to see the game.
  • The stadium and the USFL did a fantastic job with everything. I had a great time. You won't find a better $20 deal in all of sports.

10 out of 10.

• Like 13

BB52Big.jpg

18 minutes ago, infrared41 said:

Some quick thoughts on being at the game.

• The facility is top notch. The upgrades they've done to the place are amazing. It's easy to get around, the concourses are wide, the food was decently priced, and the staff was great. There isn't a bad seat in the house. A+
  • The crowd was WAY bigger than I thought it was going to be. I'd guess that the stadium was about 85-90% full.  The Stallions seemed to be the crowd favorite. There were quite a few people who traveled from Birmingham and Philadelphia to see the game.
  • The stadium and the USFL did a fantastic job with everything. I had a great time. You won't find a better $20 deal in all of sports.

10 out of 10.

Certainly a nice bonus that the game itself ended up being pretty good, especially after it looked to be a blowout.

Those final minutes must have been crazy in the stands. 

On 7/4/2022 at 12:08 AM, infrared41 said:

In all honesty, they demolished the entire old stadium and built brand new. It's just they renamed the old Stadium in its final season to Tom Benson Hall of Fame Stadium, then spent a year tearing down the old Stadium and building a new one slightly closer to the school. Then gave the new stadium the same name they gave the previous stadium had in its final year. 

It would be like saying FirstEnergy Stadium is the old Municipal Stadium. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sykotyk said:

In all honesty, they demolished the entire old stadium and built brand new. It's just they renamed the old Stadium in its final season to Tom Benson Hall of Fame Stadium, then spent a year tearing down the old Stadium and building a new one slightly closer to the school. Then gave the new stadium the same name they gave the previous stadium had in its final year. 

It would be like saying FirstEnergy Stadium is the old Municipal Stadium. 

How is that not a major upgrade?

• Like 2
  • Applause 1

BB52Big.jpg

16 hours ago, infrared41 said:

How is that not a major upgrade?

As long as they don't use the wrong paint on the field it is. 

Hall of Fame game problem may have been matter of timing, not paint

Pro Football Hall of Fame Game - Accidental Travel Writer

Aerial Agents | Ohio's Full Service Drone Pilots & Aerial Imagery Provider

With all the changes to the Hall and the stadium, it's a good look for the both now. It's also interesting to see the changes since this remodel was done. 

USFL to hold playoffs, championship at Hall of Fame in Canton | Crain's  Cleveland Business

I'd suspect that they'll be adding more seating on the near end of this picture, if only temporary seating. 

The inaugural USFL championship took place July 3, 2022, in Tom Benson Stadium at the Pro Football Hall of Fame in Canton between the Birmingham Stallions and the Philadelphia Stars.

The inaugural USFL championship took place July 3, 2022, in Tom Benson Stadium at the Pro Football Hall of Fame in Canton between the Birmingham Stallions and the Philadelphia Stars.

In the inaugural USFL championship, held Sunday night in Tom Benson Stadium in Canton, the Birmingham Stallions beat the Philadelphia Stars, 33-30.

I was impressed with how they set up the field. I was afraid they'd treat it the same as the NFL, which is to paint a league logo on the 25's and call it a day. By painting the field to look like the others used in Birmingham they at least showed that they wanted to look like more than just a spring league with fancier uniforms and bigger name coaches. A better attended game helped these games as well. A lot of Birmingham fans made the trip up north,  but having locals that wanted to see the games too probably helped a lot too. 

• Like 3

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

10 minutes ago, GDAWG said:

It will be interesting to see which stadiums the 7 other teams will play once they move to actual cities.  

Or if they decide to move somewhere else from their "current" home cities? 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png