USFL 2023 Season

Skycast

If it was me, the USFL should be looking for stadiums that they can use and be at the 15,000-20,000 seat range. So, for each team, the home fields would be this:

Birmingham - Protective Stadium

Philadelphia - Franklin Field

New Jersey - SHI Stadium

Michigan - Rynearson Stadium

Tampa Bay - Raymond James Stadium

New Orleans - Yulman Stadium

Pittsburgh - Heinz Field

Houston - Rice Stadium

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Seadragon76 said:

If it was me, the USFL should be looking for stadiums that they can use and be at the 15,000-20,000 seat range. So, for each team, the home fields would be this:

Birmingham - Protective Stadium

Philadelphia - Franklin Field

New Jersey - SHI Stadium

Michigan - Rynearson Stadium 

Tampa Bay - Raymond James Stadium

New Orleans - Yulman Stadium

Pittsburgh - Heinz Field

Houston - Rice Stadium

For the Panthers, I'd think Western or Central Michigan would be better, since the turf is green. For the Gamblers, I almost forget that Rice Stadium exists, but that would be a good call for them.  I know they're thinking of expanding in 2024, so maybe the Arizona Wranglers or LA Express would be an option.

• Like 1

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

21 minutes ago, MJWalker45 said:

For the Panthers, I'd think Western or Central Michigan would be better, since the turf is green. For the Gamblers, I almost forget that Rice Stadium exists, but that would be a good call for them.  I know they're thinking of expanding in 2024, so maybe the Arizona Wranglers or LA Express would be an option.

I didn't think of Kalamazoo or Mt. Pleasant for locations... not bad. But, the team probably wants to stick close to the Detroit area (despite being the Michigan Panthers).

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Sec19Row53 said:

This will likely be the issue for all fields that are NFL-controlled. Unless the NFL has a stake in a spring league, they are, IMO, unlikely to grant the use of their facilities.

Fun fact from the USFL Championship Game - these guys were there.

C5K8K3d.png

• Like 2
  • LOL 1
  • WOAH 2

BB52Big.jpg

1 hour ago, infrared41 said:

Fun fact from the USFL Championship Game - these guys were there.

C5K8K3d.png

Good point - I did see them in background shots at times while watching the game.

Maybe there is hope. I'd be stunned if the NFL reached out to one over the other spring league, though.

It's where I sit.

16 minutes ago, Sec19Row53 said:

Good point - I did see them in background shots at times while watching the game.

Maybe there is hope. I'd be stunned if the NFL reached out to one over the other spring league, though.

It could be such a thing that NFL Films does contract-for-hire work. I'd imagine the spring and early summer are pretty lean times for them. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, MJWalker45 said:

I'd think having 5 to 6 extra games and a month and a half break until NFL games would make this an easy call. Pittsburgh really has no options, but everyone else could find a space that's not an NFL stadium. 

Tampa also has no options.

1 hour ago, raysox said:

Too bad San Diego didn’t have a USFL team back in the 80s because their new stadium fits the new 40k football stadium trend like new Birmingham stadium

I believe they'll be getting the XFL team from Los Angeles though. 

15 hours ago, GDAWG said:

Tampa also has no options.

True, but we're all expecting them to play at Raymond James, unless the Buccaneers deny access. Then they may have to play at Tropicana Field. 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

4 hours ago, walkerws said:

Tampa could play at USF after they get their own stadium. If it is small enough, they could get it done on a year. 

Is that a done deal though?  Last I read is that Jeffrey Vinik donated money to build it, but I haven't heard anything about it since.  

• Like 1

5 hours ago, MJWalker45 said:

I believe they'll be getting the XFL team from Los Angeles though. 

True, but we're all expecting them to play at Raymond James, unless the Buccaneers deny access. Then they may have to play at Tropicana Field. 

That is the last thing either of these leagues (USFL and XFL) need: to have one of their teams play in a currently active baseball stadium.  

Unless USF gets their on campus stadium, the only choice is Raymond James.  

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, walkerws said:

All Lang Stadium COULD be a potential site if temporary seating is available. 

It currently only seats 7,200 but 18,000 was the plan before the Tampa Bay Rowdies of the USL were sold.  Now that doesn't seem to be happening.  

This was what was planned for Al Lang  before the Rowdies were sold.

aerial*1200xx7200-4050-0-0.jpg

This is what it looks like now:

1252px-Rowdies_Soccer_Config_2015.jpg

• Like 2

On 7/8/2022 at 5:32 PM, gosioux76 said:

It could be such a thing that NFL Films does contract-for-hire work. I'd imagine the spring and early summer are pretty lean times for them. 

I think it has to do with Fox Sports and NFL Films partnering for the USFL's "United By Football" show (their season-long equivalent to Hard Knocks). Fox has friends in high places when it comes to this league (as shown by them now having a permanent exhibit at the Pro Football Hall of Fame) 

• Like 1

On 7/9/2022 at 2:53 PM, GDAWG said:

Is that a done deal though?  Last I read is that Jeffrey Vinik donated money to build it, but I haven't heard anything about it since.  

USF is working thru the details, but the current target opening for a new stadium would be Fall 2026.

• Like 1

Next year doesn't matter much. Only one more or three more sites while XFL starts up. Rumor is XFL wants to go back to Orlando. So TB would be open for usfl. And several rumors about San Diego.

Also Houston doesn't matter because usfl won't be playing in Houston next year most likely. 

Suggesting the Panthers could play in Ypsilanti? Please read up a little on the WFL Detroit Wheels. Unless you're continuing the USFL's current approach of "in-person attendance doesn't matter,* in which case, why bother leaving Birmingham at all?

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.