USFL 2023 Season

Skycast

1 hour ago, Sodboy13 said:

Suggesting the Panthers could play in Ypsilanti? Please read up a little on the WFL Detroit Wheels. Unless you're continuing the USFL's current approach of "in-person attendance doesn't matter,* in which case, why bother leaving Birmingham at all?

That was my idea... and outside of the whole fiasco that was the Wheels, the attendance numbers aren't that bad - save for their final home game against Southern California, which had 6351 people there (there is a lower number though - the game with Portland was in London, Ontario and that was barely over 5100 people there).

Outside of that game? 2 home games with 10,000 people and 2 home games with 14,000 people. That should be within the ballpark of what the current USFL needs to be looking for.

• Like 3

• 3 months later...

Hearing there will be three hubs. 4 teams based in Detroit, 2 in Memphis and 2 in Birmingham. If I had to guess Michigan, Philadelphia, Pittsburgh and New Jersey in Detroit. The Southern hubs are a tossup. Obviously the Stallions in Birmingham and the Showboats in Memphis but Houston and New Orleans could be at either one.

UPDATE: Birmingham leaders have confirmed that the city will also host the New Orleans Breakers alongside the Birmingham Stallions.

• Like 2

Signature intentionally left blank

Article came out from the Detroit News the other day about USFL North division hubs.

Looks like the league is evaluating venues in the Detroit area now, and is prioritizing  stadiums that have turf surface to withstand  hosting multiple teams, as well as have sufficient locker room/training facilities and TV broadcasting infrastructure. They've apparently reached out to Eastern Michigan University about using  Rynearson Stadium . 

It also looks like a 4th hub could happen as well, with Philadelphia being a potential 4th host site. 

Hope both happen as it gives the league an even 2 hubs per division in  4 different regions, and all with a decent chance of drawing a good amount of local interest. Plus some good city-pair locations for rivalries and logistics: 

• Birmingham:  Stallions and NOLA Breakers
  • Memphis: Showboats and Houston Gamblers
  • Detroit: Panthers and Pittsburgh Maulers
  • Philadelphia: Stars and NJ Generals 
  • Like 4

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/18/2022 at 9:42 PM, Cruhawk7975 said:

Article came out from the Detroit News the other day about USFL North division hubs.

Looks like the league is evaluating venues in the Detroit area now, and is prioritizing  stadiums that have turf surface to withstand  hosting multiple teams, as well as have sufficient locker room/training facilities and TV broadcasting infrastructure. They've apparently reached out to Eastern Michigan University about using  Rynearson Stadium . 

Oooh fun, possible gray turf 🤢

Rynearson5.jpg

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

If you were watching the NFL playoffs on Fox this weekend, you probably saw quite a few ads promoting season two of the USFL, which starts in April.

One of the ads caught my eye because of its use of footage from the original USFL. One of my biggest disappointments with the new league's first season was how it was completely devoid of references to the original league, likely due to a lawsuit brought by owners of the original league claiming Fox was using its trademarks without permission. 

In news I never saw until now, Fox settled that lawsuit in August, and the ads promoting the new season are the first indication that it will be referencing more of the USFL's history in the season ahead.

I'm glad to see this. Nostalgia for the original USFL is one of this league's biggest selling points. Watching game broadcasts that seemed to go out of the way to avoid discussing its history made the whole thing feel incomplete. 

• Like 6

13 minutes ago, gosioux76 said:

If you were watching the NFL playoffs on Fox this weekend, you probably saw quite a few ads promoting season two of the USFL, which starts in April.

One of the ads caught my eye because of its use of footage from the original USFL. One of my biggest disappointments with the new league's first season was how it was completely devoid of references to the original league, likely due to a lawsuit brought by owners of the original league claiming Fox was using its trademarks without permission. 

In news I never saw until now, Fox settled that lawsuit in August, and the ads promoting the new season are the first indication that it will be referencing more of the USFL's history in the season ahead.

I'm glad to see this. Nostalgia for the original USFL is one of this league's biggest selling points. Watching game broadcasts that seemed to go out of the way to avoid discussing its history made the whole thing feel incomplete. 

I noticed that. I also got a kick out of their shot at the XFL, saying that the USFL wasn't a 'Hollywood creation'. Hello, Rock!

• Like 2

It's where I sit.

8 hours ago, Sec19Row53 said:

I noticed that. I also got a kick out of their shot at the XFL, saying that the USFL wasn't a 'Hollywood creation'. Hello, Rock!

That new XFL is... Lordy, I don't even know. I am a certifiable alternative football league weirdo, and everything about it just comes across as so bland and boring. Logos, uniforms, promos, website, all of it just a dull mush.

• Like 1
On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

2 minutes ago, GDAWG said:

So once they move to the cities, will the Maulers play at where the Steelers are playing or at the smaller 5,000 seat soccer stadium?

I think they'll be expected to have at least 20,000 seats wherever these teams set up shop.  A 5,000 seat stadium with a great view just won't get the same amount of love from the fans, especially those trying to visit from the away teams. 

Why the MLS would thrive in Pittsburgh | Pittsburgh Soccer Now

Highmark Stadium - Visit Pittsburgh

Highmark Stadium | Pittsburgh Riverhounds SC | Google Earth | 2016 - YouTube

I think this would be a great location for a high school all star football game, but not a pro league that's supposed to be the top second tier league. 

http://res.cloudinary.com/ybmedia/image/upload/c_crop,h_1123,w_2000,x_0,y_209/c_fill,f_auto,h_900,q_auto,w_1600/v1/m/1/a/1af53d79aba596bd16d8c853e9454be89cbf5884/steelers-heinz-field-reportedly-becoming-acrisure.jpg

At least here, you can tarp off the upper tiers and have better looking stadium angles on TV. Especially if they plan to keep playing with the drones since there's less risk of having to dump one in the river if it has a mishap. 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

22 minutes ago, MJWalker45 said:

I think they'll be expected to have at least 20,000 seats wherever these teams set up shop.  A 5,000 seat stadium with a great view just won't get the same amount of love from the fans, especially those trying to visit from the away teams. 

Why the MLS would thrive in Pittsburgh | Pittsburgh Soccer Now

Highmark Stadium - Visit Pittsburgh

Highmark Stadium | Pittsburgh Riverhounds SC | Google Earth | 2016 - YouTube

I think this would be a great location for a high school all star football game, but not a pro league that's supposed to be the top second tier league. 

http://res.cloudinary.com/ybmedia/image/upload/c_crop,h_1123,w_2000,x_0,y_209/c_fill,f_auto,h_900,q_auto,w_1600/v1/m/1/a/1af53d79aba596bd16d8c853e9454be89cbf5884/steelers-heinz-field-reportedly-becoming-acrisure.jpg

At least here, you can tarp off the upper tiers and have better looking stadium angles on TV. Especially if they plan to keep playing with the drones since there's less risk of having to dump one in the river if it has a mishap. 

So it's going to have to be where the Steelers play.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, GDAWG said:

Ugh-really GIFs - Get the best GIF on GIPHY

Canton's closer to Greater Cleveland than it is Greater Pittsburgh!!! What the absolute!?!?!? Just rebrand them the Canton Bulldogs at this point! I'm sure that this makes life easier for the Stars and Maulers, but if Canton is going to be a permanent location, they should have their own team and not another city's name on it. 

Canton Bulldogs" Cap for Sale by SwampfoxDesign | Redbubble

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png