Houston Gamblers - TDECU Stadium

New Orleans Breakers - Yulman Stadium

Birmingham Stallions - Protective Stadium

Tampa Bay Bandits - Raymond James Stadium

Michigan Panthers - Ford Field

Pittsburgh Maulers - Heinz Field

Philadelphia Stars - Lincoln Financial Field

New Jersey Generals - Red Bull Arena

So yeah that's my options for the USFL teams' stadiums.

But I only have 3 things about this league:

1. Some journalist website believes the Stallions will become the "Mobile Stallions", I honestly don't like "Mobile" option, why they can just call them the "Alabama Stallions" if you can't use the "Birmingham" city.

2. I heard the NFL is trying to stop Michigan from using the "Panthers" name, even though Michigan use the "Panthers" name 13 years before Carolina use it. If they can't use the "Panthers" name, called them the "Cougars" or the "Pumas".

Plus, I couldn't find OTHER stadiums in Michigan where the Panthers could play, you guys have ideas where the Panthers should play, let me know.

3. The only team that is not on the USFL list is the San Antonio Gunslingers, I guess they couldn't have the rights to the name or unknown reasons? If they still planning to have a team in San Antonio, call them the "Vipers", or the "Stingers", or the "Orcas".

On 11/6/2021 at 12:58 PM, TheAnt755 said:

POSSIBLE STADIUMS FOR THE USFL TEAMS:

Memphis Showboats - Liberty Bowl Memorial Stadium

Orlando Renegades - Camping World Stadium

Jacksonville Bulls - TIAA Bank Field

Oakland Invaders - RingCentral Coliseum

Arizona Outlaws - Sun Devil Stadium

Denver Gold - Folsom Field

Los Angeles Express - Dignity Health Sports Park

Houston Gamblers - TDECU Stadium

New Orleans Breakers - Yulman Stadium

Birmingham Stallions - Protective Stadium

Tampa Bay Bandits - Raymond James Stadium

Michigan Panthers - Ford Field

Pittsburgh Maulers - Heinz Field

Philadelphia Stars - Lincoln Financial Field

New Jersey Generals - Red Bull Arena

So yeah that's my options for the USFL teams' stadiums.

But I only have 3 things about this league:

1. Some journalist website believes the Stallions will become the "Mobile Stallions", I honestly don't like "Mobile" option, why they can just call them the "Alabama Stallions" if you can't use the "Birmingham" city.

2. I heard the NFL is trying to stop Michigan from using the "Panthers" name, even though Michigan use the "Panthers" name 13 years before Carolina use it. If they can't use the "Panthers" name, called them the "Cougars" or the "Pumas".

Plus, I couldn't find OTHER stadiums in Michigan where the Panthers could play, you guys have ideas where the Panthers should play, let me know.

3. The only team that is not on the USFL list is the San Antonio Gunslingers, I guess they couldn't have the rights to the name or unknown reasons? If they still planning to have a team in San Antonio, call them the "Vipers", or the "Stingers", or the "Orcas".

Ring Central Stadium isn't happening.  Have to find somewhere else in the Bay Area.

5 hours ago, MJWalker45 said:

Aren't they still considering having all of the teams play in the same area, ala the Spring League? 

Apparently for the first year, they are having all teams play in Birmingham. Then in 2023, four teams will play there and finally in 2024, all teams will play in their own cities. This is of course assuming that this even gets through the first season. 

That's such a terrible idea. I watched TSL but I didn't care about any team in particular. The location based teams makes it easier for fans to latch on to a team and care about that team. The only way where teams without a location have been successful in American sports is the PLL and that works earlier because it's pretty much the top of the lacrosse world. People have their favorite players and it's more of a player based fandom. No one is a hardcore fan of a D2 wide receiver trying to catch on in the NFL.

• Like 1

Athletic Director: KTU Blue Grassers Football

Maybe it’s a bad idea for fan interest but it’s a great idea if you want to keep costs down. IIRC, TSL has been the only alt-league to profit. I think they’re trying to get sponsorships going first before they try to invest. As for my opinion on this particular strategy?

Spoiler

Jason Bateman Cotton GIF

And I only mean it semi-ironically. They should get credit for going a different route. 

• Like 2

On 11/12/2021 at 10:05 PM, TheAnt755 said:

Welp, a NAL San Antonio expansion team is using the "Gunslingers" name, so looks like they'll have to find a different name for San Antonio (if the USFL can last longer to have an expansion).

PROOF: https://xflnewsroom.com/news/nal-announces-san-antonio-gunslingers-as-expansion-franchise/

That team played at a horse arena last year so I wonder if they'll be able to get better digs in the NAL.  I'd think the NAL would require that.  I've played on better turf in pickup indoor soccer leagues.

San Antonio Gunslingers beat the Austin Wild improving to 2-1 on the year

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VjWYA7o66UM

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

On 11/11/2021 at 7:51 PM, Geoff said:

That's such a terrible idea. I watched TSL but I didn't care about any team in particular. The location based teams makes it easier for fans to latch on to a team and care about that team. The only way where teams without a location have been successful in American sports is the PLL and that works earlier because it's pretty much the top of the lacrosse world. People have their favorite players and it's more of a player based fandom. No one is a hardcore fan of a D2 wide receiver trying to catch on in the NFL.

I'm not so sure these new USFL team's won't be aligned with other cities, though. Several of the stories out of Birmingham make the point to say that one of the eight teams will be the revival of the Birmingham Stallions. And while it's not clear about the other brands, the USFL's own website is already selling merch for the Pittsburgh Maulers, New Orleans Breakers and Philadelphia Stars. 

Of course, they own the IP to those brands, so they could just be selling stuff out of nostalgic appeal. But it seems like the whole reason for launching a new league under the USFL brand was to capitalize on the nostalgia that still exists for that league and its teams. 

On 11/12/2021 at 10:05 PM, TheAnt755 said:

Welp, a NAL San Antonio expansion team is using the "Gunslingers" name, so looks like they'll have to find a different name for San Antonio (if the USFL can last longer to have an expansion).

PROOF: https://xflnewsroom.com/news/nal-announces-san-antonio-gunslingers-as-expansion-franchise/

There's also a decent chance they don't make it to kickoff and if they do, they only last a few games.  

• Like 3

20 hours ago, gosioux76 said:

I'm not so sure these new USFL team's won't be aligned with other cities, though. Several of the stories out of Birmingham make the point to say that one of the eight teams will be the revival of the Birmingham Stallions. And while it's not clear about the other brands, the USFL's own website is already selling merch for the Pittsburgh Maulers, New Orleans Breakers and Philadelphia Stars. 

Of course, they own the IP to those brands, so they could just be selling stuff out of nostalgic appeal. But it seems like the whole reason for launching a new league under the USFL brand was to capitalize on the nostalgia that still exists for that league and its teams. 

Unless they're going to play at Highmark Stadium, I doubt they'll be a Pittsburgh Maulers. Even though the region is football crazy there's no way minor league football will draw more than a few thousand people to games. 

24 minutes ago, Luigi74 said:

Unless they're going to play at Highmark Stadium, I doubt they'll be a Pittsburgh Maulers. Even though the region is football crazy there's no way minor league football will draw more than a few thousand people to games. 

I agree. It makes sense, to a degree, for the USFL to start out this way. It allows them to start the league without having to secure stadium leases in cities across the country and eliminates some huge startup costs. 

But I also don't know how that works when one of your value propositions involves rekindling brands that are historically tied to specific cities. The stories on this league so far don't really get into how they'll brand these teams or whether they'd be tied to other locales. It would be super weird, though, to launch with a team called the Maulers and then have them end up in, say, St. Louis. 

• Like 1

Fox Sports just announced some details about the league. LINK

Here's some of the more relevant info: 

How many teams will be in the league? How will the league be formatted?

There will be eight teams in the new USFL, split into two divisions –– North and South. Each team will play a 10-game schedule, with teams in the same division playing each other twice and teams in the other division once. 

The top two teams in each division will play against each other in the semifinals followed a week later by the championship game.

Where will games be played?

In the inaugural season of the USFL, all eight teams will play in one location, which will be announced soon. In the future, the USFL expects teams to play in their own markets.

2 hours ago, gosioux76 said:

I agree. It makes sense, to a degree, for the USFL to start out this way. It allows them to start the league without having to secure stadium leases in cities across the country and eliminates some huge startup costs. 

But I also don't know how that works when one of your value propositions involves rekindling brands that are historically tied to specific cities. The stories on this league so far don't really get into how they'll brand these teams or whether they'd be tied to other locales. It would be super weird, though, to launch with a team called the Maulers and then have them end up in, say, St. Louis. 

Outside of the first home game no one went to Maulers games so there's no real history besides the cool painters hats they used to sell. Plus everyone who went to that first game was there to throw snowballs at Cliff Stoudt, not cheer on the Maulers.

18 hours ago, GDAWG said:

Interesting that they don't have any teams west of the Rockies.  Makes sense if they are lowering costs to start.

Not only that, but if you look at the geography, all of those northern teams are within 300 miles of each other (with Philly and NJ obviously being a lot closer), and Tampa and Birmingham being the farthest apart (if you were to connect the dots in line) at about 550 miles, the 350 miles between Bham and NO, and about 300 miles from NO to Houston. All of those are plenty reasonable travel distances via bus, and just about all except Birmingham offer point-to-point flights to one another (I don't know if BHM has any direct flights to EWR or not). But then, they're looking at starting this thing off in Birmingham (Birmingham Bubble?) for the first season, so there you go...

• Like 1

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

Just now, GhostOfNormMacdonald said:

I'm surprised the Generals are back, given the brands connection to a certain former social media influencer that caused the league to go under the first time

The Gunslingers would’ve been the better choice to return. At least their comedy of errors was just football stuff!