USFL 2023 Season

Skycast

34 minutes ago, GhostOfNormMacdonald said:

I'm surprised the Generals are back, given the brands connection to a certain former social media influencer that caused the league to go under the first time

Considering that Fox owns the league and will be broadcasting games, I'm sure the size of the media market had a big influence on that choice. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, SFGiants58 said:

The Gunslingers would’ve been the better choice to return. At least their comedy of errors was just football stuff!

I'm guessing you've never read accounts of pay-day for the Gunslingers. Basically checks were written at a bank a ways away from the stadium and the players knew from past experience that there would only be a certain amount of money in that account to pay the players. So they'd essentially Cannonball Run their way to the bank to be the first so they'd get paid.

• Like 3

27 minutes ago, Skycast said:

I'm guessing you've never read accounts of pay-day for the Gunslingers. Basically checks were written at a bank a ways away from the stadium and the players knew from past experience that there would only be a certain amount of money in that account to pay the players. So they'd essentially Cannonball Run their way to the bank to be the first so they'd get paid.

Oh I know. I’ve read Football for a Buck (good book, BTW).

If the league last longer than a couple seasons (big if), I bet we see the LA Express and Oakland Invaders join. Two brands with some big-time recognition and LA in particular is a huge media market, something I'm sure Fox wants.

• Like 3

the user formerly known as cdclt

2 hours ago, SFGiants58 said:

The Gunslingers would’ve been the better choice to return. At least their comedy of errors was just football stuff!

People don't like the idea of possibly endorsing guns, even if the team is in Texas. It's why Washington is the Wizards instead of the Bullets now. 

2 hours ago, GhostOfNormMacdonald said:

I'm surprised the Generals are back, given the brands connection to a certain former social media influencer that caused the league to go under the first time

I think people remember this team more as the team of Flutie and Hershel Walker. the Generals are like the NY Cosmos, the name itself sells better than any other in the league. 

• Like 3

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

1 hour ago, SFGiants58 said:

Oh I know. I’ve read Football for a Buck (good book, BTW).

Jeff Pearlman wrote that? His "Three Ring Circus" about the Shaq/Kobe Lakers is very good.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

3 hours ago, QCS said:

If the league last longer than a couple seasons (big if), I bet we see the LA Express and Oakland Invaders join. Two brands with some big-time recognition and LA in particular is a huge media market, something I'm sure Fox wants.

It might have to be San Jose for the Invaders because there would be no place to play in Oakland other than the Coliseum and that stadium is on it's last legs.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, GDAWG said:

It might have to be San Jose for the Invaders because there would be no place to play in Oakland other than the Coliseum and that stadium is on it's last legs.  

Well, being that the 49ers presently play in [what may as well be] San Jose as it is, I'd say the locale name thing is really more a formality than a technicality 😁

• Like 1

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

17 hours ago, GDAWG said:

I've been thinking a bit about this, in particular whether the Spring League's ownership of the old USFL intellectual property limits the league to locations that had previously been part of the old USFL. 

In other words, in order to use the Invaders name, would it have to be in Oakland because that's how it's identified in its trademark filing?

What I learned, in digging through trademark filings, is that the league has trademarks for just the names, without city designations. It also filed applications using USFL names but with different cities. For example, in January they made a  St. Louis Invaders trademark claim, as well as a Dallas Stallions. In June it filed trademark claims for four different former USFL team names in Austin ,Texas: Austin Wranglers, Austin Renegades, Austin Outlaws and Austin Gamblers. 

• Like 4

46 minutes ago, gosioux76 said:

What I learned, in digging through trademark filings, is that the league has trademarks for just the names, without city designations. It also filed applications using USFL names but with different cities. For example, in January they made a  St. Louis Invaders trademark claim, as well as a Dallas Stallions. In June it filed trademark claims for four different former USFL team names in Austin ,Texas: Austin Wranglers, Austin Renegades, Austin Outlaws and Austin Gamblers. 

Good detective work there.  I'm gonna start calling you "Mannix".

• Like 4

It is what it is.

17 minutes ago, gosioux76 said:
17 minutes ago, gosioux76 said:

Ha! Thanks, man. More of a Columbo, I'd say. 

Hold out for McMillan.  That way, you get to hook up with a young Susan St. James.

spacer.png

• Like 1

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

On 11/23/2021 at 11:01 AM, GhostOfNormMacdonald said:

I had a meeting at the Pentagon with lots of New Jersey Generals. They were like from a movie. Better looking than Tom Cruise, and stronger. And I had more New Jersey Generals than I've ever seen, and we were at the bottom of this incredible room. I said, "this is greatest room I've ever seen."

• Like 4

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫