USFL 2023 Season

Skycast

• 3 weeks later...

This must be real now.  Fox was plugging the USFL during Thursday Night Football last night.

• Like 1

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

I mean, it's "real," in the sense that the past two seasons of The Spring League got primetime slots on FS1 and FS2, and the FXFL actually existed for a season or two or whatever. That doesn't mean it's worth your time or attention for anything more than a casual flip of the channel to the Birmingham Spring Scrimmage League on a night when the schedules for the other sports leagues are very light.

• Like 1
On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

9 minutes ago, Sodboy13 said:

I mean, it's "real," in the sense that the past two seasons of The Spring League got primetime slots on FS1 and FS2, and the FXFL actually existed for a season or two or whatever. That doesn't mean it's worth your time or attention for anything more than a casual flip of the channel to the Birmingham Spring Scrimmage League on a night when the schedules for the other sports leagues are very light.

I would rather watch C-tier football than any other sport

• Like 1

22 hours ago, MJWalker45 said:

I like how the writer just assumes the rights fees the league is getting will be bigger than what the XFL got for its Disney/Fox combo platter, without citing a single number along the way. Let's not consider that NBC is shedding non-Olympic sports programming to the point of killing its dedicated sports channel, and likely picked up USFL games because it will fill weekend airtime very cheaply.

• Like 1

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

1 hour ago, Sodboy13 said:

I like how the writer just assumes the rights fees the league is getting will be bigger than what the XFL got for its Disney/Fox combo platter, without citing a single number along the way. Let's not consider that NBC is shedding non-Olympic sports programming to the point of killing its dedicated sports channel, and likely picked up USFL games because it will fill weekend airtime very cheaply.

It's likely they are just covering the equipment being used, that's pretty much all that happened with the AAF. Since Fox owns a stake in the USFL they can deal with losing a little money. Heck, if ESPN can afford to take losses on their bowl games, Fox should be good to go for at least 3 years. 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

6 hours ago, Sodboy13 said:

Also, NBC needs to diversify it's spring sporting schedule as right now its: golf, golf, NASCAR, golf and.....golf.  

2 hours ago, GDAWG said:

Also, NBC needs to diversify it's spring sporting schedule as right now its: golf, golf, NASCAR, golf and.....golf.  

Nbc doesn’t have nascar in the spring, they take over the schedule after the half way mark from fox, so they have late summer to fall. Also after the next 2024 NBC likely won’t be in Nascars next TV deal. 

On 12/18/2021 at 7:27 PM, dont care said:

Nbc doesn’t have nascar in the spring, they take over the schedule after the half way mark from fox, so they have late summer to fall. Also after the next 2024 NBC likely won’t be in Nascars next TV deal. 

So without the USFL, their spring schedule is golf, golf, golf, golf and.....golf.

On 12/17/2021 at 10:43 AM, Sodboy13 said:

Obviously the attempt at another spring league isn't your cup of tea, but it is worth my attention and likely many others feel the same way I do.

• Like 7

I've loved and followed the WLAF, the Arena League, the XFL, the UFL, and the XFL again. If I had been old enough when the USFL was around, I would have been all about it, too.

I've also read so much about these leagues over the decades, back to the days of Paul Reeths' Geocities page, because I find them fascinating, and their successes are just as illuminating as their failures. Follow it if you want; I am merely stating what this new USFL is going to be - a hustle built by a hustler on the ashes of two previous failed hustles. If it eventually gets to a point where teams not named the Birmingham Stallions are playing home games in the cities they purport to represent and selling tickets to those games, I will be pleasantly shocked.

• Like 6

53 minutes ago, Sodboy13 said:

I've loved and followed the WLAF, the Arena League, the XFL, the UFL, and the XFL again. If I had been old enough when the USFL was around, I would have been all about it, too.

I've also read so much about these leagues over the decades, back to the days of Paul Reeths' Geocities page, because I find them fascinating, and their successes are just as illuminating as their failures. Follow it if you want; I am merely stating what this new USFL is going to be - a hustle built by a hustler on the ashes of two previous failed hustles. If it eventually gets to a point where teams not named the Birmingham Stallions are playing home games in the cities they purport to represent and selling tickets to those games, I will be pleasantly shocked.

That skepticism is certainly warranted, no doubt. But watching those hustlers burn cash in pursuit of being the ones who finally unlock the success of spring football — the white whale of sports business — is, to me, part of the entertainment value.  There are two games at play here: the one on the field and another in a board room. 

• Like 2

22 hours ago, Sodboy13 said:

Now I REALLY feel old... 🤦‍♂️

• Like 3

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

22 hours ago, gosioux76 said:

That skepticism is certainly warranted, no doubt. But watching those hustlers burn cash in pursuit of being the ones who finally unlock the success of spring football — the white whale of sports business — is, to me, part of the entertainment value.  There are two games at play here: the one on the field and another in a board room. 

If you have not read it yet, read The $1 League by Jim Byrne. It's out of print, but I was able to borrow it through our local public library network. Byrne was a USFL executive who wrote this book in 1986, basically right after the antitrust verdict. The book focuses almost entirely on the front office and team ownerships, and fills in a lot of details and background that Small Potatoes and Football for a Buck don't have with their more on-field perspectives.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, CaliforniaGlowin said:

I usually find a team to like in these spring leagues, but I've learned not to buy gear from these teams.  I got a box of team gear going back to WLAF. 

Orlando Thunder gear? I've got a London Monarchs jersey and I used to have an Ohio Glory hat when they were brought in. I really want to get their away jersey and the San Antonio and NY/ NJ Knights unis.

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png