2021 High School football

MJWalker45

https://www.wkyc.com/article/sports/ohsaa-to-expand-football-playoffs-to-16-teams/512-0c930012-8120-4315-8f2e-c23e3444c710

Ohio is moving to a 16 team playoff schedule in 2021. Previously they were at 8. Higher ranked teams will host the first two rounds instead of only the first round. The location for state championships has still not been decided but will likely either be HOF Stadium in Canton or Ohio Stadium in Columbus. 

While the site for the state championship games has not yet been decided, the format will include one game on Thursday, December 2 and two games each on Friday, Saturday and Sunday, December 3-5.

During the first five rounds of the playoffs, Division I, II, III and IV schools will play on Friday nights, while Division V, VI and VII schools will play on Saturday nights.

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Since I didn't do anything last year, it's fair time to give a review and update everyone on my end..

Washington: The biggest change comes from the Greater St. Helens League itself as the 3A and 4A schools are now in one league. This gives the combined 3A/4A league the same amount of members as the 2A league (9 schools). One of those 2A schools, Fort Vancouver, plays football at the 1A level (It's for better competition as the Trappers were basically the punching bag at the 2A level for the last few seasons).

With the 2B schools, Winlock is playing at 1B while everyone else stayed where they are.

Another thing to keep an eye on is potential nickname changes. The state recently passed a bill that will outlaw Native American nicknames for high schools by 2022. Columbia River, a member of the 2A Greater St. Helens League, already did that by changing their nickname from 'Chieftains' to 'Rapids'. This decision will mostly affect two schools in my local area: Toledo and Kalama. Toledo, who are the Indians, would be forced to change despite a verbal agreement with the Cowlitz Tribe (part of the bill states that Native American based nicknames can stay only if the school is near where the Tribe is located. The Cowlitz Tribe is based in Ridgefield). Kalama, who are the Chinooks, might have an easier time because they'll just need to change the mascot.

Oregon: Rainier and Clatskanie are still 3A schools with their district getting two new schools for the spring season - Coastal Range League rival Warrenton (who did well enough at the 2A level to earn an automatic upgrade) and Blanchet Catholic. Neither team did anything noteworthy in the spring season.

Iowa: After a weird season that saw everyone (and I do mean everyone) get into the playoffs as part of ways to deal with COVID-19, things will get back to normal.. well, a new normal.

Starting this season, there will be seven classes with a new 5A class making their debut this season. The 5A schools will be in 6 groups of 6 schools each. What makes this class different is that each group will be using the 'Success Model' of scheduling. Essentially, this is a tier based system that intends to give these schools competitive games throughout the season. Each of the 36 schools are ranked by RPI and four years' worth of playoff performance with the highest ranking teams in Tier 1 and the lowest in Tier 6 and each group has one school from each tier. The schedules are created for these schools to play similar level schools and are NOT in a round robin format. There is also an extra 'assigned' game against another school in the same tier (For example, the two West Des Moines schools - Valley and Dowling Catholic - will play each other in their assigned game).

My alma mater,  Denison-Schleswig, is now a 4A school for football. In their district are schools they are familiar with in LeMars, Spencer and Storm Lake and two they aren't too familiar with in Webster City and Fort Dodge.

Formats are also different depending on what class you're in. 5A, 4A, and 3A have 9 game schedules while 2A, 1A, A and 8 Man all have 8 game schedules. Playoff field sizes are different as well as 5A, 4A and 3A have 16 team fields (5A is all at-large bids while 4A and 3A have automatic bids for the top two in each district and 4 at-large bids) while 2A, 1A, A and 8 Man have 32 team fields (2A, 1A and A have automatic bids to the top four in each district while 8 Man has automatic bids to the top three in each district and 2 at-large bids).

Kind of early to be talking HS football ain't it? lol

I honestly have no idea what's going on as far as local HS football in the DC area. All my friends and associates that coach have been pretty quiet about it, other than I know teams have been training and conditioning over the last year plus.

Hotter Than July > Thriller

1 hour ago, 4_tattoos said:

I honestly have no idea what's going on as far as local HS football in the DC area. All my friends and associates that coach have been pretty quiet about it, other than I know teams have been training and conditioning over the last year plus.

Depending on where you are, it can be. I know it is in Washington and Oregon since they had a spring season.

In Iowa, it's fair game. They had a traditional fall season.

21 hours ago, Red Comet said:

They made a devout Jew eat a pepperoni pizza. I think this has gone from hazing to potentially a hate crime.

And then tried to say they offered chicken nuggets as well but he chose to eat the pizza after taking the pepperoni off. If you thought one was potentially a bad look, maybe not do either? 

22 hours ago, 4_tattoos said:

To be fair, we're talking about college and NFL already too.  Texas finished up spring football last month, now we're just waiting to see what the district changes for next year will be. 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

3 hours ago, MJWalker45 said:

And then tried to say they offered chicken nuggets as well but he chose to eat the pizza after taking the pepperoni off. If you thought one was potentially a bad look, maybe not do either?

Was making the kid run laps, do bear crawls or Oklahoma drills not enough? That always got me and my teammates in-line whenever we would goof off.

• 2 months later...

Time for an update since most states are starting their seasons this weekend or next weekend..

-The nickname issue is pretty much dealt with out here in Washington as Kalama and Toledo have their issues solved. Kalama has switched mascots from a Native American to a salmon, which allows them to keep the Chinooks nickname. This is the new look:

https://0a3f2a79f1c649a80a14-2219faf57c27e7c0a31d1cb4595d4218.ssl.cf1.rackcdn.com/picture/data/192785/content_salmon_image.png

As for Toledo, they've changed their nickname from Indians to Riverhawks.

Maryland public schools regular season starts on September 3rd. With losing an entire year it's hard to make any sort of predictions.

SN: the MPSSAA is doing an odd new this year.  Each sport has it's own classifications now (4A, 3A, etc).  With this new rule in place, my alma mater is in 2A for basketball but 1A for all other sports. Think it has something to do with the growing number of charter schools within the state's public schools districts.  Apparently every public school in the state offers basketball, which played a factor in my school being bumped up to 2A for hoops. Many of the charter schools in Maryland only offer basketball, no other sports.

Hotter Than July > Thriller

2 hours ago, heavybass said:

Yeah, this thing with the fake high school is turning into an absolute dumpster fire.

Honestly, I'm glad we got this mess. it's likely never going to happen again but how much national attention would Bishop Sycamore get had it not been for this?

Athletic Director: KTU Blue Grassers Football

Well, I and most every one at Yappi.com knew about this scam school since they first started in 19 as COF Academy. Then changed their name to BS last year. 

I tried warning the Western PA v. Everyone folks about them but it was too late to find a replacement for Sto-Rox for Friday night. 

So, I drove over Sunday to watch the charade come crashing down on them. And watching the telecast after the fact was fun.... Witnessing it first hand was awesome.

How they thought they'd get away with it after exposing themselves on ESPN just baffles me. At least when they were trying to fly under the radar it was easier for them to scam players and opposing teams. 

Seeing the Taiwanese basketball league even dragging them on Twitter has been amazing to witness. 

Throw in the fact the coach had an active arrest warrant while on ESPN and it's just... 

Hopefully ESPN determines that paragon marketing isn't actually looking out for the best teams and were star struck by the claim of 26 D1 recruits to even investigate. 

Archived