The (Fictional) Story of Austus (Regals tweaks; 1954 Expansion coming soon)

neo_prankster

The seventh franchise to be granted:

The Cleveland Cardinals.

After just one season as the Cardinals, originally named for the Ohio state bird, the franchise would be renamed the Mad Hatters. This was because the Cardinals' owner Bruno Scarfiotti was deemed "Mad as a hatter" by the Plain-Dealer when he expressed optimism about the future growth of Austus.

hZbuzl7.png

C&C Welcome.

• neo_prankster changed the title to The (Fictional) Story of Austus (Cleveland and Providence added)
  • neo_prankster changed the title to The (Fictional) Story of Austus (Brooklyn added)

And last, but certainly not least, the tenth and final charter member for 1948.

The Cincinnati Regals obviously draw their name from the city's nickname The Queen City.

dOJ0hZ3.png

C&C Welcome.

Here's the alignment for the inaugural campaign of the IAL:

Eastern Division

Brooklyn Gladiators

New York Marvels

Philadelphia Spirits

Pittsburgh Blacksmiths

Providence Steamrollers

Western Division

Buffalo Lakers

Chicago Gaels

Cincinnati Regals

Cleveland Cardinals

Detroit Roadsters

• neo_prankster changed the title to The (Fictional) Story of Austus (Cincinnati added; Inaugural Season Teams Finished)

Very solid until now, can't wait to see next teams.

Also, I watched both Austus videos I could find, and I wondered a bit:

- If Austus is more similar to Australian Rules Football, why helmets?
- Do you plan to have some evolution on the construction of uniforms, maybe considering the 1980's advent of polyester, and then the appearance of the more fitted uniforms at the beginning of this century?

Disappointed to see Milwaukee not in the original lineup, but it probably would make more sense to wait until County Stadium was around (1953).

Hard to give any C&C given the ficticious nature of the sport, but everything you've done so far seems era appropriate; and I love the subtle allusions to actual teams.

3 hours ago, johnrafael said:

Very solid until now, can't wait to see next teams.

Also, I watched both Austus videos I could find, and I wondered a bit:

- If Austus is more similar to Australian Rules Football, why helmets?
- Do you plan to have some evolution on the construction of uniforms, maybe considering the 1980's advent of polyester, and then the appearance of the more fitted uniforms at the beginning of this century?

The helmets represent the "US" part of the Austus name.

Yes, the template will change over time.

3 hours ago, NicDB said:

Disappointed to see Milwaukee not in the original lineup, but it probably would make more sense to wait until County Stadium was around (1953).

Hard to give any C&C given the ficticious nature of the sport, but everything you've done so far seems era appropriate; and I love the subtle allusions to actual teams.

Yeah, Milwaukee will have to wait. Sorry about that.

45 minutes ago, GoCubsGo said:

out of Curiosity, Are you going to add other teams form the Markball thread on Alt-History Sports or are you just using these for the start? 

Markball is the game created by @NoE38_Concepts . I created a fictional game called Driveball. But yes, there will be more teams from the old thread, but I want to create new ones in between.

After a lousy 1948 campaign, the Cleveland Cardinals rechristen themselves as the Cleveland Mad Hatters. The Plain-Dealer tried to mock team owner Bruno Scarfiotti over his goal to grow the game of Austus in the long-term. So the former Cardinals decided to take the insult to see if they couldn't make it into a badge of honor heading in to 1949. The Mad Hatter logo was drawn in this universe by a sports cartoonist for the local paper. Meanwhile, the Wishbone C is a carryover from their lone season as the Cardinals.

XOQL49s.png

C&C Welcome.

• neo_prankster changed the title to The (Fictional) Story of Austus (Goodbye Cardinals, Hello Mad Hatters!)
  • neo_prankster changed the title to The (Fictional) Story of Austus (Regals tweaks; 1954 Expansion coming soon)

Archived