Windows 11 introduces new logos, icons, theme

CS85

210507103337-20210507-microsoft-icon-upd

Old (left) New (right)

f8fdb794b71b27a82b74ad3be1d68a7d.jpg

New centered Start menu (can be moved)

Also observe the new Start icon, which is square, no longer askew. 

Old:

nMV82.png

• Like 2
"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

I'm surprised they went all in on iOS. I guess they want they want to mollify those choice MacBook users who use Apple throughout college and get stuck with a Dell or Lenovo in the workplace.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

19 minutes ago, DG_ThenNowForever said:

I'm surprised they went all in on iOS. I guess they want they want to mollify those choice MacBook users who use Apple throughout college and get stuck with a Dell or Lenovo in the workplace.

I interviewed for a government contractor job may moons ago, and asked what kid of work stations they use, and they asked why, I said because I am a Mac user that would be my preference. The lady straight up said "What is a Mac?"

• Like 4

Wasn't Windows 10 supposed to be the last one??

Anyway, this has more the look and feel of the Windows/Mac icons the old VAX system my  old middle school used...back in '94. 

• Like 3

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

14 hours ago, tBBP said:

Anyway, this has more the look and feel of the Windows/Mac icons the old VAX system my  old middle school used...back in '94. 

OSX was supposed to be the last one for Mac as well but then they changed the name to macOS and made the next iteration  from 10.16 to 11.4 (Big Sur)

To be honest, I dig the whole subtle gradient/soft shadow/rounded corners look. It's definitely in right now, but jesus that taskbar. It's massive, the centered look is kind of weird, and three of those buttons are unnecessary (and by that I mean you could just lump search, task view, and widgets into the start menu or at least make them shortcuts of some kind). Other than that, please please please someone tell Microsoft that Windows Explorer needs tabs. Seriously.

• Like 1

On 6/18/2021 at 6:07 AM, kmccarthy27 said:

OSX was supposed to be the last one for Mac as well

This isn't true, in the sense that Apple has never said anything that could be interpreted as such. The closest reference I can find is Steve Jobs referring to macOS 10 setting Apple up for the next 20 years. He said that in 2005, and macOS 11 came out last year, so it was fairly accurate.

• Like 1

On 6/17/2021 at 3:19 PM, tBBP said:

Someone at Microsoft did say that. It was a stupid thing to say in 2015 for exactly this reason. Because plans change. The quote was in reference to Windows moving to a more service model, and it was something to the effect of "Windows 10 is the last Windows and it will be a service." It's possible the speaker (who I believe was French) meant to say "latest," in which case the quote makes a lot more sense.

• Like 1

On 6/22/2021 at 4:05 AM, Quillz said:

Someone at Microsoft did say that. It was a stupid thing to say in 2015 for exactly this reason. Because plans change. The quote was in reference to Windows moving to a more service model, and it was something to the effect of "Windows 10 is the last Windows and it will be a service." It's possible the speaker (who I believe was French) meant to say "latest," in which case the quote makes a lot more sense.

The guy who said that was American. Ultimately I have to imagine he said that at the time because they were (and clearly still are) doing everything they could to mimic Apple's process, including skipping windows 9 entirely so they could get to windows 10, matching OSX. Now that Mac has moved onto 11, there's suddenly a rush by microsoft to do the same.

Pretty astonishing to see the company with something like 85% of the PC market share trying so hard to be more like their competitors in such superficial ways.

• Like 1

I've got a dribbble, check it out if you like my stuff; alternatively, if you hate my stuff, send it to your enemies to punish their insolence!

On 6/26/2021 at 7:54 AM, MDGP said:

including skipping windows 9 entirely

This was actually due to poor programming practices by third-party developers. Instead of checking for "Windows 4" as they should have (since 9x was based on kernel versions 4.x), they instead only looked for "Windows 9." Which also failed because of Windows Me.

And Apple did have a macOS 9. I don't know why they skipped iPhone 9, they shouldn't have. The re-released SE should have been called the 9.

• Like 3

On 6/26/2021 at 7:54 AM, MDGP said:

Now that Mac has moved onto 11

Also they are already on macOS 12, which is coming out later this year. It will be known as "Monterey." They seem to be moving macOS to annual version updates.

7 hours ago, Quillz said:

Also they are already on macOS 12, which is coming out later this year. It will be known as "Monterey." They seem to be moving macOS to annual version updates.

Which is a bit of an eye-roll.  They said that Big Sur was such a drastic change for their OS that it merited graduation from 10.x to 11.  Monterey is probably not going to be anything substantial, but it gets to be 12.0?  OK then.  It's probably smarter from a branding standpoint, but certainly confusing for the long-time consumer.

• Like 1
"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

9 hours ago, CS85 said:

Which is a bit of an eye-roll.

Perhaps. Me, I don't really care. As long as they have some consistency, that's all that matters to me. If they want to do annual version updates, fine. Although makes me wonder why they still even bother with the code names anymore.

9 hours ago, CS85 said:

Monterey is probably not going to be anything substantial, but it gets to be 12.0?

This has happened before. When Apple released macOS 8 in 1997, it was a very minor update. In fact, it was originally intended to be released as macOS 7.7. The reason it was changed was solely to shut down the Macintosh clone market, which had licenses to run System 7, but nothing newer. Under the hood, it had no new kernel, no new APIs, nothing of significance. Whereas the later macOS 8.5 actually was significant.

So it's happened before. And version numbers are always arbitrary to an extent. The first major release of Windows NT was 3.1, as opposed to a 1.0, simply to keep the versioning in place with the consumer-oriented MS-DOS versions (i.e. Windows 3.1 from 1992).

• Like 1

• 10 months later...

My work PC was updated to Windows 11 last week. Aside from spacing in File Explorer -- things take up more space now -- I like the changes. While my personal PCs could certainly handle Win 11, I'm not on the official upgrade path so they'll remain forever a version abandoned. And that feels kind of like bad news, since my laptop (Dell) is from 2015 and my desktop (Lenovo) from 2018. Getting kind of old in computer years, but well built enough that they don't provide me any issues.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags