Chicago Fire crest re-do

officeglenn

In the MLS kits thread where the new Chicago Fire crest was being discussed, someone mentioned that the original crest seemed pretty dated. And while I agreed with that, I couldn't put my finger on exactly why it seemed dated to me right away. Eventually, I figured some of it out and tried to address it in a concept.

Ā 

I realized I found the original Fire logo too dark, which may a sign of the times in which is was created, and one area in which I think the new crest for 2022Ā Ā succeeds. The original 1998Ā logo doesn't have enough contrast between the navy, grey and red.Ā 

Ā 

I do like the 1998Ā logo's use of the Florian cross as the dominant shape, unlike how the 2021 confines it into a circle. But the 1998Ā Florian cross feels too "big" for me ā€” that is, there are large swaths of unused space. It could be tightened up while keeping the shape, which I hope I've done here. I feel like it's a happy medium between 1998 and 2021.

Ā 

I also kept the red star from the city flag, and tried to evoke the two light blue stripes from the flag with the C. The inline in the C and the font are also meant to bring in some art deco influence, which other Chicago teams have done at times. The 98Ā denotes the first season the club played, as well as filling up some empty space.

Ā 

Anyway, let me know what you think!

Ā 

BVzrGKZ.png

Maybe it's my general taste at the moment or the rememberance of old Fire logos, but I think theĀ darker colors areĀ too saturated for Chicago. Otherwise, is a great improvement to this new thing they revealed. The C matching Cubs is a plus plus for me, a minimal update would be maybe align the ends of the C with the red part.

Ā 

Spoiler

Also, not related, but I answered your message on that other matter.

Ā 

I like it, especially that the C feels like that Chicago theater marquee!

I think I'd prefer for the red sections of the Florian cross be connected with a red ring; I know you might have to mess a bit with the inner part of the roundel to make it work, but it might be worth trying.

Fair points, all. Here's a new version with those revisions, plus I thickened the inline in the C to better match the rest of the crest.

Ā 

8kPHP95.png

Update looks a lot better! Good call on the thicker inline.Ā I'm waffling about whether it'd actually help, but I wonder if you might be able to fit a white outline between the blue and red for the inner roundel, just for consistency's sake?

Ā 

Ā 

On 6/21/2021 at 12:29 PM, officeglenn said:

Fair points, all. Here's a new version with those revisions, plus I thickened the inline in the C to better match the rest of the crest.

Ā 

8kPHP95.png

Thank you for updating the Florian cross without going back to their original logo. This is much better than all of the other logos Chicago has used.

Archived