My Take on the NBA's Uniform System: Team Matchups *Requests are open*

colinturner95

1 minute ago, johne9109 said:

An alternate could be using CLT. The city is really pushing that as the cool nickname/short version of the city name.

In one of the NBA Changes(not sure which one) threads, we recently discussed that “CLT” is not a good look on a basketball jersey, and is too close to a certain word.

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 minutes ago, LA Fakers+ LA Snippers said:

In one of the NBA Changes(not sure which one) threads, we recently discussed that “CLT” is not a good look on a basketball jersey, and is too close to a certain word.

Which word? Colt? Cult? Clot? There are so many choices. Or - and hear me out - what if we ignored some immature people and went with what the city calls itself?

the user formerly known as cdclt

57 minutes ago, QCS said:

I really like what you've done to the three primary jerseys, they're all a step up from what the team currently has. I'd prefer the jerseys all said "Charlotte" like the old Hornets did, but I don't mind "Hornets" on the white. I'm just now noticing how thin that wordmark is and I'm not sure if I'm a fan. I'd like to see alternating pinstripe colors as well (and overall I prefer the single stripes to the double ones) but these are nice enough and I'd be happy with them as a fan.

The complete opposite is true for the gray one. I've never liked gray in the Hornets' look, it never fit, and that gray "cloudy" City jersey was absolute garbage. I suppose, at the very least, it's not black, but there's just nothing here that I like. The honeycomb gradient will get lost as the jersey gets tucked in and the whole set just... doesn't fit. "Buzz City" remains terrible, but that's just like a cherry on top. The Bobcats-inspired side paneling is decent, but overall it just feels dull and edgy - which is something I know the current team goes for, but it doesn't work for the Hornets. 90s-inspired colors, cheese, and nostalgia is what to do here. Perhaps instead of this gray jersey, you could do what the NBA seems to be doing for the 75th anniversary - combine eras. Classic pinstripes and colors with the modern font and possibly the Cats' side panels? I think it'd be a more fitting jersey for the team and would be a vast improvement in my opinion.

(And for what it's worth, the honeycomb pattern is overrated - only pattern the Hornets need are pinstripes.)

12 minutes ago, LA Fakers+ LA Snippers said:

2 minutes ago, QCS said:

Which word? Colt? Cult? Clot? There are so many choices. Or - and hear me out - what if we ignored some immature people and went with what the city calls itself?

I see both sides of the argument but I have to agree with Fakers/Snippers on this one.  For every mature person out there, there is at least another 2 immature people out there. It would correate with their use of CHA opposed to CLT

City moniker aside, I like the idea of a "modern throwback". Though I have to warn that Buzz City will more than likely be sticking around. Or the grey. Maybe both. I don't know yet. 

AmPJ0Ty.png 

Hand Drawn Association/Icon Alternate(s) (Jersey Model: Hassan Whiteside | Players Still With Team: 4/13)

nWZKQGM.png

Association - Icon: While the Vice series gave serious reason to consider a full scale change, as well as an interest in possibly going towards something closer to their inaugural look, it ultimately felt like a change for change's sake. Thus the only real change from real life here is the arm trim continues around the arms and is a little thicker than it is IRL. 

Statement: The Statement jersey continues to be red but this time has a totally different look. This time, it takes on inspiration from the Miami Floridians/The Floridians jerseys the Heat have thrown back to in the past, but this time, takes on the colors and identity of the Heat. Flaming Ball above the number. The NOB moves under the number on the back, to account for the stripe on the back. 

Miami Nights: I'm not sure any NBA team has had a more successful City Jersey program than the Heat. While the overall Vice group is outstanding (plus/minus the Trix Yogurt one from this past season), I kept my personal favorite, as well as the one I felt was the best in the group, the black Vice jersey, aptly titled the Miami Nights edition. 

PzbGzwu.jpgVODwGXH.jpg

1qZJOBj.jpgaJwrrUh.jpg

On 7/26/2021 at 6:01 PM, colinturner95 said:

I see both sides of the argument but I have to agree with Fakers/Snippers on this one.  For every mature person out there, there is at least another 2 immature people out there. It would correate with their use of CHA opposed to CLT

City moniker aside, I like the idea of a "modern throwback". Though I have to warn that Buzz City will more than likely be sticking around. Or the grey. Maybe both. I don't know yet. 

Well I said I was enamored with the idea of a modern throwback. I also did say that Buzz City and grey more than likely would stick around, if not both, and well: 

KyZxrGK.png

Like I said, modern throwback. Grey jersey still, Buzz City still. Classic pinstripe colors, as well as a trim pattern that mirrors the inaugural uniforms, including the "tucked in/folded over" treatment on the V neck. Shorts also mimic the inaugural shorts in logo placement and stripe style. 

C&C welcome!

AmPJ0Ty.png 

• colinturner95 changed the title to My Take on the NBA's Uniform System: Hornets Update/Miami Heat

The Heat's home and road are nice, I've never really been a fan of them or their jerseys so I'm neutral here. Not a big fan of the Statement, I hate jerseys without wordmarks and the primarily red ball gets lost on the red jersey. Love the idea of a Floridians reference though. The Vice jersey is incredible (and in my opinion leagues better than the Heat's red/black set) and it's incredible here as well.

I do really like the "modern throwback" style for the Hornets, but the grey still falls flat for me. Like I said, I hate its use in the current set (literally non-existent - it and the light blue were a part of the stupid side panels from the previous set) and the set just looks dull. Grey, teal, and purple are all either mid or dark tones and they blend together. Personal preference leads me to prefer single pinstripes instead of double and fixing the collar style but still a massive improvement over the original grey jersey you had.

49 minutes ago, QCS said:

The Heat's home and road are nice, I've never really been a fan of them or their jerseys so I'm neutral here. Not a big fan of the Statement, I hate jerseys without wordmarks and the primarily red ball gets lost on the red jersey. Love the idea of a Floridians reference though. The Vice jersey is incredible (and in my opinion leagues better than the Heat's red/black set) and it's incredible here as well.

I do really like the "modern throwback" style for the Hornets, but the grey still falls flat for me. Like I said, I hate its use in the current set (literally non-existent - it and the light blue were a part of the stupid side panels from the previous set) and the set just looks dull. Grey, teal, and purple are all either mid or dark tones and they blend together. Personal preference leads me to prefer single pinstripes instead of double and fixing the collar style but still a massive improvement over the original grey jersey you had.

qmptRC6.png

So I did hold onto my first thoughts for the Heat. I was hesitant to commit to these because they felt Utah Red Rock-y, but then I realized that while that is an issue, it's not going to be because, spoiler alert: those Utah jerseys are getting retired in this series. 

The thought process behind these was to capture some of the original jerseys look with some modern elements. I mention the red rock look because I brought back the orange from the early days to create a yellow-orange-red stripe, giving off fire, heat sort of vibes. I also see the influence the inaugural uniforms had on the Vice sets. Black does stick around in a main fashion, notably as the base color on the Icon jersey, as well as the wordmarks and NOB, and numbers on the Association. 

In the now, the changes to the Statement are simple. With yellow now being much more prominent on the main 2 uniforms, I changed up the striping on the jersey, with two equally sized stripes of black and yellow. The logo is gone with a wordmark under the number, making this look a lot closer to the Floridians jersey that inspired it. Vice has no changes. 

As for Charlotte, I was trying and did want to stay away from having two jerseys of the same color, something I didn't get done here. Also they've already run the gamut of the popular throwbacks. Which led to the first Buzz City jersey and then modern throwback. 

AmPJ0Ty.png 

I like the Heat updates, looks much better IMO. I understand not wanting to change Charlotte, but that doesn't mean I have to like it haha. Looking forward to the next set!

Hand Drawn Association/Icon Alternate(s) (Jersey Model: Mo Bamba | Players Still With Team: 5/14)

p7T1NVd.png

Association - Icon: The original plan was to take things back to 1989, well more like 1994.  But once I got into this, I wanted to steer away from going for a straight throwback and move more towards an "inspired by" sort of thing. But the influence from the Shaq days is pretty easy to pick out, with the triple stripes around the arms, neck, waistband and bottom of the shorts. The side panels were a way to bring something in from the later years of Magic basketball, and then the modern wordmarks and fonts stick around. The pinstripes are back, and tonal on both uniforms. The wordmarks now both have a star in the negative space of the A.  The pinstripes on the shorts have stars worked into the pattern, which resembles the star pattern on the original Magic logo. 

Statement: Taking a different approach to the much maligned "Stars" uniform, which keeps the chonky triple stripes on the bottom of the shorts and the logo on the jersey,  but takes after the 2000-2003 uniforms with the sublimated stars on the jersey and shorts that fade from black to blue back to black from top to bottom. 

Citrus: In what feels like the next logical move for the Magic, once the City jerseys resume after the 75th anniversary season celebrations, is the City jersey from this past season goes full Citrus, with a couple tweaks. The trim changes from a one color to a two color, which is also reflected on the bottom of the shorts. 

C&C welcome!

AmPJ0Ty.png 

• colinturner95 changed the title to My Take on the NBA's Uniform System: Orlando Magic

Our final entry in the Southeast, and the Eastern Conference: 

Hand Drawn Association/Icon Alternate(s) (Jersey Model: John Wall.  | Players Still With Team: 5/15)

SnkpDUg.png

Association - Icon: I'm going to admit that these are not my personal favorites. I didn't want to just roll out the exact same jerseys, but I was gonna try something new.  It's the same basic principle as the current uniforms, but the stripes are based on the 1985-1987 Bullets jerseys, this time distilled down to one set of northwestern stripes up near the shoulders. On the back stripes are the 3 stars from the DC flag. On the shorts the NW stripe is around the bottom of the shorts, with the DC logo on the sides. The basketball playing wizards returns to the waistband. 

Statement: I :censored:ing love these jerseys. I loved the Baltimore pride versions, and I wanted them to come back. I briefly considered making these the main jersey design. But I didn't. This time, the full global logo is on the stripe on the jersey. 

District:  The Wizards' fourth jersey honors the annual National Cherry Blossom Festival, with a pink uniform that fades from the bottom up to the top, representing the changing of the seasons the festival is intertwined with. On the sides of the jersey and shorts is a cherry tree branch with several blossoms. The District wordmark sticks around, with a blossom replacing the basketball, a similar sentiment shared by the DC logo on the shorts. 

KMIdj9s.jpgjsJy446.jpg

nHC5zh3.jpgF0XozI8.jpg

C&C welcome!

AmPJ0Ty.png 

• colinturner95 changed the title to My Take on the NBA's Uniform System: Washington Wizards

Orlando and Washington both look nice, no big complaints, really. As a matter of personal preference I hate it when basketball jerseys don't have wordmarks and it's even worse when it's replaced with simply a logo. Still solid designs, love that DC cherry blossom alt as well.

12 minutes ago, QCS said:

Orlando and Washington both look nice, no big complaints, really. As a matter of personal preference I hate it when basketball jerseys don't have wordmarks and it's even worse when it's replaced with simply a logo. Still solid designs, love that DC cherry blossom alt as well.

Ooh you're not gonna like Utah then 😬😅

AmPJ0Ty.png 

I'll second the thing about preferring wordmarks over logos on basketball jerseys. Other than that, I think the star in the A on Orlando's Icon could maybe be blue instead of gray, and that the logo on the Wizards' Statement might be better without the outer circle. 

I too loved the Baltimore Pride jerseys. I would like to see a full set of that, if possible.  
The City edition is nice. The only gripe I would have is that the main jerseys aren’t visually balanced, with a high-contrast, busy top and bottom, but the rest of the uni is super simple.

21 hours ago, LA Fakers+ LA Snippers said:

I too loved the Baltimore Pride jerseys. I would like to see a full set of that, if possible.  
The City edition is nice. The only gripe I would have is that the main jerseys aren’t visually balanced, with a high-contrast, busy top and bottom, but the rest of the uni is super simple.

pisgUfi.png

Here's the full DC/Baltimore Pride set. As for the first set of uniforms, I knew the sides would be pretty plain but I wasn't sure about what would go well on the sides and not look out of place 

AmPJ0Ty.png 

Well, we've reached halftime on our series here. 

RS6m997.png M3diwJX.png

Uznstnm.png pcSto2l.png

I thought I'd offer a look back at the first 3 divisions, as well as my thoughts on a new Finals patch for the conference champions, in this case, for the Milwaukee Bucks. Jerry West has dribbled away and is replaced by the Larry O'Brien trophy on a gold trimmed league logo. 

Western Conference starting up next week!

AmPJ0Ty.png 

• colinturner95 changed the title to My Take on the NBA's Uniform System: Eastern Conference Recap

Hand Drawn Association/Icon Alternate(s) (Jersey Model: Trey Lyles  | Players Still With Team: 5/16)

WQwdmUZ.png

Association - Icon: Our first entry in the West takes us a mile high to the Rocky Mountains in Denver. While blue and red have been a part of the Nuggets' identity since the ABA, my personal belief is that the double blue and yellow color scheme is the superior scheme for the Nuggets. With that in mind, I love the take on the modern rainbow City jerseys from the past few years and rolled with that as the new primary look, with a stripe set up that captures the mountains of Denver. On the shorts, the same style stripes now fit into the shape of the mountain. 

Statement: Pretty similar to the Association and Icon uniforms with the stripes on the chest, but this time in the navy-light blue-white pattern, as was done on yellow uniforms past. The bigger change happens on the shorts, with the mountain going away for a smaller version of the jersey design. 

Mile High: Pretty similar to the current Statement jersey but with some differences. This time set on a navy uniform, with white stripes found throughout the uniform, similar to the state flag, which is represented on the sides of the shorts. Mile High City straightens out and straddles the numbers on the jersey. 

zMkJXVX.jpgPgKu4vo.jpg

rd7l1m7.jpgJJPRlpm.jpg

C&C welcome!

AmPJ0Ty.png 

• colinturner95 changed the title to My Take on the NBA's Uniform System: Denver Nuggets

I like most of what's here, just a couple suggestions (mostly due to my own preferences). Not a big fan of "Nuggets" being on both of the primary jerseys, one of the two should say "Denver". Second, I've never liked how the wordmark was below the rainbow skyline design, but I'm not sure how to fix that without changing the design itself. Love the colors and the shorts design, just a couple tweaks on the jersey itself.

Hand Drawn Association/Icon Alternate(s) (Jersey Model: Karl-Anthony Towns  | Players Still With Team: 6/17)

oq2GQ8P.png

Association - Icon: While I personally have no issues with the current designs, and you'll see that I kept it somewhere in here, I quickly found that my first idea was going to be incompatible with itself. So the shoulder design goes away here, and changes to similarly styled trim around the neck and arms. Trees return to the uniforms in the way of down the side trim. Shorts just have the trim around the bottom with the roundel logo on the waistband. 

Statement: I told you I still liked the design and it stuck around. So really nothing really changed here, save for the wordmark and the trees are down the side as well, just without the contrasting block behind them. 

Northern Lights:  Toronto might be "The North" but I've never heard of anyone in Toronto seeing the Northern Lights from the CN Tower. (If I'm wrong, feel free to correct me). This uniform honors a different side of the natural beauty of Minnesota and the Northern Lights, with a uniform that fades from shades of purple and blue to solid black in the shorts. Slanted MINN wordmark with the North Star above the N. Shorts have trees on one side in the same color treatment as the jersey and a recolored roundel on the other side. 

nfrogbn.jpgipSNizj.jpg

eYQ4WbD.jpgIW1QQpX.jpg

C&C welcome!

13 hours ago, QCS said:

I like most of what's here, just a couple suggestions (mostly due to my own preferences). Not a big fan of "Nuggets" being on both of the primary jerseys, one of the two should say "Denver". Second, I've never liked how the wordmark was below the rainbow skyline design, but I'm not sure how to fix that without changing the design itself. Love the colors and the shorts design, just a couple tweaks on the jersey itself.

46faPjz.png

Yeah, complete honesty, I have no idea why I left NUGGETS on both the jerseys. Call it undersight I guess. Like you said, there's not much that can be done about the wordmark under the stripes without completely having to rework the design. 

AmPJ0Ty.png 

Archived