Jump to content

My Take on the NBA's Uniform System: Team Matchups *Requests are open*


colinturner95

Recommended Posts

Hand Drawn Association/Icon Alternate(s) (Jersey Model: Lance Stephenson | Players Still With Team: 3/9)

 

m9mHO0N.png

 

Association - Icon: Instead of really focusing on Indiana's mantra of "We Grow Basketball Here", I went with what the previous City jerseys have been focusing on: racing. I retired the new Agency fonts and wordmarks and went with the wordmarks from the 2021 Earned and City jerseys. I also unretired the Paul George number font. The checkerboard from the front of the City jersey's now moves to the sides, on a side stripe that now ends in the shape of the state of Indiana. The shorts are equally as simple, with a checkerboard stripe on one side, Pacers P logo on the other. 

 

Statement: The Statement doesn't deviate too far from the Assoc. and Icon uniforms. Other than being set on a gold uniform, the only other change is to the wordmark treatment, which has the player number in the outline of Indiana with Pacers set next to it. 

 

Heritage: @Conrad.called them "Fauxback Flips", Adidas called them Reverse Retros, I have no idea what I'm calling this jersey 😂. The Pacers 4th jersey borrows from a few eras of Pacers uniform history: The navy and gold of the current era, the wild stripes of the late ABA uniforms, the chest stripes and wordmarks from the mid to late 80's uniforms, and the wordmark down the side of the shorts from the team's first uniform set. 

 

TdIWAXV.png DDUTvoX.pngSHAwumk.png

hvw1Xcz.png

 

C&C welcome!

 

 

 

 

  • Like 17
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • colinturner95 changed the title to My Take on the NBA's Uniform System: Indiana Pacers
On 7/10/2021 at 2:20 PM, colinturner95 said:

eQsyK5z.png

City: One of the few successes in the City Uniform program (in my humble opinion) was the Chicago Flag uniforms. I wouldn't want to see them replace the black and red, but still a nice change of pace. These uniforms are close to the 2017/2018 version, this time in baby blue. Honestly not a tremendous amount of difference between these are the Assoc/Icon uniforms. 

One suggestion for the city edition to better differentiate it from the rest of the set would to use the six pointed star where the pentagon/diamond shape is on the shorts. I'm not quite sure how much space is left for the logo, but I feel like it would be a realistic way to tie in the organization and the city.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'm a little late to the party, but I'm excited to see where you go moving forward with this series! Some quick thoughts on a few teams:

 

For the Nets, instead of using a regular gray, I think a great way to distinguish them from the Spurs would be to use an anthracite shade like they did on their original Statement jersey. I wish that jersey would come back instead of the Statement they have now. I also like the straight letters better than I do the arch. The City uniform is perfect.

 

Although I like the Knicks current uniforms more than most, switching to a look inspired by the Statement full-time looks great, as well.

 

For the Cavs, I think dropping the white outline from the City jersey would go a long way. I'd also love to see how it looks in navy.

 

For the Pistons, I like how the striping looks on the Icon, but it doesn't quite look like the Pistons without two big red stripes and the smaller white stripe in the middle. The City jersey is yet again perfect, I love the inclusion of the chrome in the striping.

 

Can't wait to follow this series more going forward!

 

 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

The Cavs update with the Lebron 1.0 wordmark across the chest is the best one for that set. Side note, there is no convincing me that the Lebron 1.0 color scheme isn't the best look they've ever had. If you can blend eras in that color scheme, I think you have a real winner.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 7/15/2021 at 1:20 PM, colinturner95 said:

Hand Drawn Association/Icon Alternate(s) (Jersey Model: Lance Stephenson | Players Still With Team: 3/9)

 

m9mHO0N.png

 

Association - Icon: Instead of really focusing on Indiana's mantra of "We Grow Basketball Here", I went with what the previous City jerseys have been focusing on: racing. I retired the new Agency fonts and wordmarks and went with the wordmarks from the 2021 Earned and City jerseys. I also unretired the Paul George number font. The checkerboard from the front of the City jersey's now moves to the sides, on a side stripe that now ends in the shape of the state of Indiana. The shorts are equally as simple, with a checkerboard stripe on one side, Pacers P logo on the other. 

 

Statement: The Statement doesn't deviate too far from the Assoc. and Icon uniforms. Other than being set on a gold uniform, the only other change is to the wordmark treatment, which has the player number in the outline of Indiana with Pacers set next to it. 

 

Heritage: @Conrad.called them "Fauxback Flips", Adidas called them Reverse Retros, I have no idea what I'm calling this jersey 😂. The Pacers 4th jersey borrows from a few eras of Pacers uniform history: The navy and gold of the current era, the wild stripes of the late ABA uniforms, the chest stripes and wordmarks from the mid to late 80's uniforms, and the wordmark down the side of the shorts from the team's first uniform set. 

 

TdIWAXV.png DDUTvoX.pngSHAwumk.png

hvw1Xcz.png

 

C&C welcome!

 

 

 

 

I don't think the state shape really works under the arms.

 

I would try a modern take on the FloJo designs.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Quite a few comments to reply to, so I'll save Milwaukee for tomorrow 

 

On 7/18/2021 at 6:59 AM, LA Fakers+ LA Snippers said:

I think it’s a bit overkill on the Statement with the number in the state logo and the state side panels. Then again, it is the Statement, so…

 

It does feel a little bit redundant, but I think it was said best as the Statement jersey. 

 

On 7/18/2021 at 2:40 PM, kb105 said:

One suggestion for the city edition to better differentiate it from the rest of the set would to use the six pointed star where the pentagon/diamond shape is on the shorts. I'm not quite sure how much space is left for the logo, but I feel like it would be a realistic way to tie in the organization and the city.

 

I tried it in an early draft for the City uniform. The spokes of the star made it awkward to work into the stripe on the shorts, so I scrapped it entirely. 

 

21 hours ago, MJD7 said:

I'm a little late to the party, but I'm excited to see where you go moving forward with this series! Some quick thoughts on a few teams:

 

For the Nets, instead of using a regular gray, I think a great way to distinguish them from the Spurs would be to use an anthracite shade like they did on their original Statement jersey. I wish that jersey would come back instead of the Statement they have now. I also like the straight letters better than I do the arch. The City uniform is perfect.

 

Although I like the Knicks current uniforms more than most, switching to a look inspired by the Statement full-time looks great, as well.

 

For the Cavs, I think dropping the white outline from the City jersey would go a long way. I'd also love to see how it looks in navy.

 

For the Pistons, I like how the striping looks on the Icon, but it doesn't quite look like the Pistons without two big red stripes and the smaller white stripe in the middle. The City jersey is yet again perfect, I love the inclusion of the chrome in the striping.

 

Can't wait to follow this series more going forward!

 

 

 

I think that the designs will differentiate the Nets and Spurs enough. Plus I think the lighter grey is better from a contrast standpoint. As for the Pistons, I wanted to continue the Bad Boys inspiration, with a twist so its not just a rehash of the Bad Boys jerseys. 

 

14 minutes ago, neo_prankster said:

I don't think the state shape really works under the arms.

 

I would try a modern take on the FloJo designs.

 

Honestly, I'll pass. I don't think the Flo Jo uniforms are all that great, personally, which is why they didn't have any influence on the Heritage uniform or appear in really any capacity. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I guess waiting was the right call. Rounding out the Central Division is the NBA Champion Milwaukee Bucks. 

 

Hand Drawn Association/Icon Alternate(s) (Jersey Model: NBA Finals MVP Giannis Antetokounmpo | Players Still With Team: 4/10)

 

w8FFGNT.png

 

Disclaimer: The Bucks are not going First Name on the Back. It was just a pain in the arse trying to fit ANTETOKOUNMPO on the back the jerseys. Could I have gone with someone else? Probably. Was I going to? No. 

 

Association - Icon: I normally avert my eyes at most of the Earned jerseys that teams get these days. However, the Bucks' Earned jersey might be the best of the bunch I've seen since the Earned program has gone on. I had one issue with it. The antlers coming up onto the jersey made the overall antler look stretched and not as great IMO. So. The jersey tops actually stay pretty close to what they have now. The side panels go away for the most part. The Modern Milwaukee Rainbow stays under the armhole, with the arm striping being interrupted by it. The shorts have the antler design from the Earned uniforms, with the Milwaukee Rainbow on the front of the waistband. 

 

Statement: One of my personal favorite uniforms in the NBA, which its a shame it's the version that is no longer worn. Much like the Association and Icon uniforms, the tops don't change very much. The only change here is the inclusion of the Jumpman as the uniform supplier logo. The shorts, also like their counterparts change up to match the group. This time, the bottom trim now matches the rainbow on the jersey, with MKE on the waistband. 

 

Classic: If my memory serves, Milwaukee was one of, if not, the first team in the Nike system to wear a throwback jersey, when they wore the white Oscar Robinson/Lew Alcindor championship year uniforms. I went with the green counterparts to those uniforms, since it was in those uniforms they clinched the 1971 championship. Since these uniforms are celebrating a championship, the Jumpman is in Larry O' Brian gold, just a fun little quirk I think would be cool for uniforms of this kind. 

 

9uBqwpJ.jpgQ6WwfEL.jpg

p9F4Q0c.jpggDGaCqk.jpg

 

C&C welcome as always!

 

 

 

 

 

  • Like 10
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • colinturner95 changed the title to My Take on the NBA's Uniform System: Milwaukee Bucks
On 7/21/2021 at 11:42 AM, colinturner95 said:

 gDGaCqk.jpg


I really like what you did with the Bucks. I'm a big fan of the antlers on the earned jersey, but you nailed it on them looking stretched out. I would have kept them on the jersey and changed up the shorts, but I like your solution as well. 

I've been looking for the retro logo you've got on the classic shorts, hiding in the back of this image. Able to share it with me? 
 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Both the Pacers and Bucks look great. I love the heritage and throwback uniforms and the Pacers are an amazing upgrade to their current set. I do have a small nitpick with Milwaukee though.

Maybe it’s just me but I don’t love both the rainbow and the antlers on the home and away. I’d be interested to see a plain-er version with the rainbow under the arms removed or a version a bit more similar to their actual uniforms with the rainbow all the way down. I think it would just look a bit more connected, they currently look like the shorts are from one uniform while the jerseys are from another.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 hours ago, _DietDrPepper_ said:

Both the Pacers and Bucks look great. I love the heritage and throwback uniforms and the Pacers are an amazing upgrade to their current set. I do have a small nitpick with Milwaukee though.

Maybe it’s just me but I don’t love both the rainbow and the antlers on the home and away. I’d be interested to see a plain-er version with the rainbow under the arms removed or a version a bit more similar to their actual uniforms with the rainbow all the way down. I think it would just look a bit more connected, they currently look like the shorts are from one uniform while the jerseys are from another.

 

s9QFoAh.png

 

After the Earned jerseys became a larger focus on the uniforms, I really had no idea what was going to happen with the jerseys. So for this update, I skinnied down the rainbow stripe down to the same weight as the antlers and made in run the sides of the jerseys. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I hate to say this but i might not of best explained what I meant. When I said bring the rainbow all the way down, I meant dropping the antlers completely and replacing them with a rainbow on the shorts.

 I think that you did still looks really un-cohesive and doesn’t address the problem I feel like the uniforms have. I’d still try going either full antlers or full rainbow. I personally think getting rid of the under arm stripe would look best if you really want to evoke the earned jersey. But I understand wanting to keep the rainbow in some facet, so why not drop the antlers on the cream uniform and place the rainbow stripes on the shorts. That way it better matches the top and turns into a full rainbow uniform, leaving the home and away to become fully focused on the antlers.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Since I'm here and have some time before work 🤷‍♂️

 

Hand Drawn Association/Icon Alternate(s) (Jersey Model: Dennis Schroder| Players Still With Team: 4/11)

 

F2kYbU3.png

 

Association - Icon: When I started the drawings on this project, Atlanta was still in the neon green phases. Which to me, had a sense of uniqueness and was pretty cool IMO. But I think the red and yellow is the better color scheme overall after looking at both. But I did keep one thing from the volt uniforms. I like the asymmetricality of those jerseys. So I tweaked the newer stripes and made them fit on the right sides of the uniforms. In most cases I think arched wordmarks are best for basketball uniforms, but in this case, I felt more inclined to the straight wordmarks. 

 

Statement: A yellow jersey would have been too easy. And it would have caused some confusion later on (Spoiler alert concerning Houston). So I looked back to everyone's favorite uniform days: the 1990's. Call it a modern take on those jerseys, with a winged ATL logo that borrows elements from the now previous logo set. Did I mention there's a gradient? 

 

Heritage: Again, I need to find a better word for these jerseys. But much like the Statement, these reach back into the Hawks' uniform past, this time from the early 1970's. This time in black, yellow and red,  and no white. With a swooping stripe that starts on the back shoulder blade and loops down the front of the jersey and finishes up on the shorts. 

 

7TuIUPV.jpgfwCgzjr.jpg

YpZrPQp.jpgy26BL8O.jpg

 

C&C welcome!

 

42 minutes ago, _DietDrPepper_ said:

I hate to say this but I think that still looks really un-cohesive. I’d still try going either full antlers or full rainbow. I personally think getting rid of the under arm stripe would look best if you really want to evoke the earned jersey. But I understand wanting to keep the rainbow in some facet, so why not drop the antlers on the cream uniform and place the rainbow stripes on the shorts. That way it better matches the top and turns into a full rainbow uniform, leaving the home and away to become fully focused on the antlers.

 

IM5jkm9.png

 

I'm gonna go with the latter suggestion. I like the idea of having the continuity of the rainbow across all three jerseys with varying degrees of representation. I like the stripe on the Association/Icon as a way to have something more on the tops. So on the Statement, I dropped the antlers and made the shorts stripe a little bit bigger. 

  • Like 7
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • colinturner95 changed the title to My Take on the NBA's Uniform System: Atlanta Hawks/Milwaukee Update

Not sure I could consider the Bucks an upgrade over what they have now.  I like the current white, green, and earned jerseys on their own, but I don't like seeing the elements mixed together.

Also, I can say this now that the Bucks finally won another championship... the 1971 unis are actually pretty boring.   I've always preferred the 1974 version with the Brewers style scripts.   

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

 

Hand Drawn Association/Icon Alternate(s) (Jersey Model: Kemba Walker | Players Still With Team: 4/12)

 

OKI0YGL.png

 

Association - Icon: The 2020-present uniforms were an immediate upgrade over the first Nike set. But they suffered from one major issue in my eyes: lack of purple. They didn't need a lot, so that issue I remedied with a change to the striping around the arms, hemline and the bottom of the shorts. I also swapped the wordmarks so Hornets is on the Association and Charlotte on the Icon. Other than that and the uniforms being pretty good already, I didn't feel that much else needed changed. 

 

Statement: Every time I do a project like this, I end up with a surprise here and then. I had full plans to hold onto the Buzz City Mint jersey and do a different statement jersey. But by pure accident I made a jersey purple with the teal pinstripes and I loved it. So the statement jersey is a Association recolor with a purple base. Nothing wrong with that is there? 

 

Buzz City: Even though the Mint jersey has grown on me, I had a different plan come to mind. While grey doesn't play a major part in the identity, this jersey is grey. The jersey has a subtle honeycomb pattern that fades from jersey color to darker grey towards the bottom. The side panel harkens back to the Bobcats days, which I thought vaguely resembled a hornet's stinger when recolored. 

 

gHtstwF.jpgWgFngSn.jpg

zsdy99v.jpgl8mjuw2.jpg

 

C&C welcome!

 

On 7/24/2021 at 6:37 PM, NicDB said:

Not sure I could consider the Bucks an upgrade over what they have now.  I like the current white, green, and earned jerseys on their own, but I don't like seeing the elements mixed together.

Also, I can say this now that the Bucks finally won another championship... the 1971 unis are actually pretty boring.   I've always preferred the 1974 version with the Brewers style scripts.   

 

Fair point. I knew there were differing opinions on the Bucks current uniforms. I personally like the current uniforms, but after seeing the Earned uniforms, I at least had to try it. As for the Classics, a lot of basketball uniforms from that era were pretty boring 😂, but at least through July 19th, it was the only championship uniform for the Bucks. And being 50 years to date, it made sense to throw back to it. 

 

 

  • Like 12
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • colinturner95 changed the title to My Take on the NBA's Uniform System: Charlotte Hornets

I really like what you've done to the three primary jerseys, they're all a step up from what the team currently has. I'd prefer the jerseys all said "Charlotte" like the old Hornets did, but I don't mind "Hornets" on the white. I'm just now noticing how thin that wordmark is and I'm not sure if I'm a fan. I'd like to see alternating pinstripe colors as well (and overall I prefer the single stripes to the double ones) but these are nice enough and I'd be happy with them as a fan.

 

The complete opposite is true for the gray one. I've never liked gray in the Hornets' look, it never fit, and that gray "cloudy" City jersey was absolute garbage. I suppose, at the very least, it's not black, but there's just nothing here that I like. The honeycomb gradient will get lost as the jersey gets tucked in and the whole set just... doesn't fit. "Buzz City" remains terrible, but that's just like a cherry on top. The Bobcats-inspired side paneling is decent, but overall it just feels dull and edgy - which is something I know the current team goes for, but it doesn't work for the Hornets. 90s-inspired colors, cheese, and nostalgia is what to do here. Perhaps instead of this gray jersey, you could do what the NBA seems to be doing for the 75th anniversary - combine eras. Classic pinstripes and colors with the modern font and possibly the Cats' side panels? I think it'd be a more fitting jersey for the team and would be a vast improvement in my opinion.

 

(And for what it's worth, the honeycomb pattern is overrated - only pattern the Hornets need are pinstripes.)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, colinturner95 said:

 

Hand Drawn Association/Icon Alternate(s) (Jersey Model: Kemba Walker | Players Still With Team: 4/12)

 

OKI0YGL.png

 

Association - Icon: The 2020-present uniforms were an immediate upgrade over the first Nike set. But they suffered from one major issue in my eyes: lack of purple. They didn't need a lot, so that issue I remedied with a change to the striping around the arms, hemline and the bottom of the shorts. I also swapped the wordmarks so Hornets is on the Association and Charlotte on the Icon. Other than that and the uniforms being pretty good already, I didn't feel that much else needed changed. 

 

Statement: Every time I do a project like this, I end up with a surprise here and then. I had full plans to hold onto the Buzz City Mint jersey and do a different statement jersey. But by pure accident I made a jersey purple with the teal pinstripes and I loved it. So the statement jersey is a Association recolor with a purple base. Nothing wrong with that is there? 

 

Buzz City: Even though the Mint jersey has grown on me, I had a different plan come to mind. While grey doesn't play a major part in the identity, this jersey is grey. The jersey has a subtle honeycomb pattern that fades from jersey color to darker grey towards the bottom. The side panel harkens back to the Bobcats days, which I thought vaguely resembled a hornet's stinger when recolored. 

 

gHtstwF.jpgWgFngSn.jpg

zsdy99v.jpgl8mjuw2.jpg

 

C&C welcome!

 

 

Fair point. I knew there were differing opinions on the Bucks current uniforms. I personally like the current uniforms, but after seeing the Earned uniforms, I at least had to try it. As for the Classics, a lot of basketball uniforms from that era were pretty boring 😂, but at least through July 19th, it was the only championship uniform for the Bucks. And being 50 years to date, it made sense to throw back to it. 

 

 

Everything looks great here, but I do have to echo others that the gray isn't great. I don't mind the honeycomb design and I do like the Bobcats call back; I just don't care for the grey. Maybe try using the colors of the city flag or UNCC? As far as Buzz City goes; I don't know anyone in Charlotte that uses that besides the Hornets. An alternate could be using CLT. The city is really pushing that as the cool nickname/short version of the city name.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • colinturner95 changed the title to My Take on the NBA's Uniform System: Team Matchups *Requests are open*

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.