Cleveland Guardians Concept - Wine, Orange, Cream and Navy

VDizzle12

Posted the start of my logo concept in the MLB changes thread when discussing a new color scheme for the Tribe. Figured it was time to complete the entire brand. Main logo could be the C+Guardian and roundel only appears on the sleeve. There's probably enough roundel main logos in sports right now.

I keep going back to a combo of wine, orange, cream and navy. I think it's the best way to keep everyone happy. Ties in colors from all of Cleveland's teams and still keeps a little bit of that red/navy from the Indians. The script is a modernized version of the current Indians script and the C is slightly modified to mimic the art deco style of the actual Guardians in Cleveland.

I'd eventually like to try some other color schemes down the line too...

ClevelandGuardians_Uniforms_WineOrange

EDIT: City Connect added to the mix.

Looks pretty good overall! The jerseys and the scripts are quite nice, and the colors work fairly well. There's not really any navy anywhere in the actual concept, despite its inclusion in your description, but TBH I like it without.

I'm not really sold on the compositions of the logos. For one, I think the full head doesn't quite gel with the block C, and I'd rather see just the helmet wings stick out of the C (much like a bajillion concepts did with feathers for the old name.) For the roundel, I think the head is titled way too far downward... I'd rather see the wings aligned to the horizontal and the face looking closer to straight forward.

Finally, some thoughts about the execution of the head... The shadows on the front of the face are great, and the ball is a nice touch. Might not be necessary, but I'd consider having the cream outline that wraps around the ball taper to a point rather than make a full circle.

I get that this take is a bit more sharp/dynamic than the real life statue, but the wings could use a tad cleaner of an aesthetic to read more clearly. Maybe they would be better all in cream, without orange, and/or with fewer pointy parts, and/or with the four sections like they have IRL.

Anyways, sorry to be so nitpicky. This is good work; I just think it needs some touchups and then it'll be golden!

19 hours ago, VDizzle12 said:

Posted the start of my logo concept in the MLB changes thread when discussing a new color scheme for the Tribe. Figured it was time to complete the entire brand. Main logo could be the C+Guardian and roundel only appears on the sleeve. There's probably enough roundel main logos in sports right now.

I keep going back to a combo of wine, orange, cream and navy. I think it's the best way to keep everyone happy. Ties in colors from all of Cleveland's teams and still keeps a little bit of that red/navy from the Indians. The script is a modernized version of the current Indians script and the C is slightly modified to mimic the art deco style of the actual Guardians in Cleveland.

I'd eventually like to do a "City Connect" navy uniform playing off "The Land."  Potentially try some other color schemes down the line too...

ClevelandGuardians_Uniforms_WineOrange

These are sexy. I'd gladly take this identity. 

XXFrXXX.png?1

140khld.jpg
7fwPZnE.png
8643298391_d47584a085_b.jpg

18 hours ago, vtgco said:

Looks pretty good overall! The jerseys and the scripts are quite nice, and the colors work fairly well. There's not really any navy anywhere in the actual concept, despite its inclusion in your description, but TBH I like it without.

I'm not really sold on the compositions of the logos. For one, I think the full head doesn't quite gel with the block C, and I'd rather see just the helmet wings stick out of the C (much like a bajillion concepts did with feathers for the old name.) For the roundel, I think the head is titled way too far downward... I'd rather see the wings aligned to the horizontal and the face looking closer to straight forward.

Finally, some thoughts about the execution of the head... The shadows on the front of the face are great, and the ball is a nice touch. Might not be necessary, but I'd consider having the cream outline that wraps around the ball taper to a point rather than make a full circle.

I get that this take is a bit more sharp/dynamic than the real life statue, but the wings could use a tad cleaner of an aesthetic to read more clearly. Maybe they would be better all in cream, without orange, and/or with fewer pointy parts, and/or with the four sections like they have IRL.

Anyways, sorry to be so nitpicky. This is good work; I just think it needs some touchups and then it'll be golden!

Thanks for the feedback, I appreciate it. I definitely felt like including navy on the uniforms was a bit forced, so the identity can probably do without. Maybe relegate it to just a City uniform or alternate down the road. I'll have to try some tweaks to the guardian head logos. Still a work in progress for sure. 

I love this concept (and I’m always dying for a new Cleveland baseball submission)! The colors pop, work with the city, but avoid feeling like it’s derivative of the teams borrowed from.  I will say, the inclusion of navy is not necessary in the primary color scheme. Instead, I’d go full fauxback/city uniform and use the old colors on a clash set (which could look just like the navy uniform with red).

There are a number of directions the team could go that I think are workable. Guardians is among them but it’s not the strongest name and thusly needs a well executed design. This hits the mark to me. The uniforms are consistent and stand out for an MLB team. The script is gorgeous and I love the continuity with the franchise’s current/historic designs.

Logo-wise:

Head-Decent enough, I think I prefer the Guardians concepts that utilize the art-deco without involving a head, because… idk I just think it’s hard to make a human head look good on a sports logo.

C-Smart to give the Block C a little more oomph.

Combo-Don’t really see them complementing one another, both are fine on their own.

Just a couple things:

• The script word mark needs to be a little thicker on the thin strokes to make it more uniform-friendly.
  • The C should stand alone as a monogram.  A monogram logo is essential to a proper baseball identity.
    • That being said, pick whether you are doing a square serif on the top of the C or the diamond stud serif in the middle of the C.  You can have either one, but not both.
  • Im all for the wine and orange pallet - anything to get more colors in pro sports, however the navy seams unneeded.
  • Why not try making the gray uniform a true cream color to match the Guardians/Bridge outside the stadium?
  • The Guardian head logo is awesome.  Really well done.  The nickname and architecture really lends itself to an incredible logo package.
  • The round logo, instead of just the singular stripe, take more inspiration/elements from the actual sculptures. 

Overall, I really like the color scheme. And the away uniform is really sharp.

I'll echo what most have said about the C/Head combo. It just doesn't quite work. The C that you have as a hat logo stands on its own (and I also like the City Connect hat logo with the lightning bolt) plus you could have just a Guardian logo with head/helmet only for that Art Deco feel.

The big problem, to me, is the script used for the other three logos. It just feels thin in general. It seems more like a script you'd see on signs and printed material and not a baseball jersey where the fonts tend to be heavier. And the capital G in particular rubs me the wrong way - it feels too much like the General Mills logo. 

Overall, though, I love the colors, the general idea and in particular that you used the Guardians name instead of the Spiders. Just a more "basebally" script font and you'll have nailed it IMO.

Man do I not want them to be the Spiders. Why the historically worst team in the history of MLB with no actual connection to the current franchise is getting so much traction is beyond me.

As a diehard Cleveland fan, I love this. While I agree with some of the nitpicky stuff above, the overall vibe is exactly what I'm hoping for.

Guardians is my #1 choice, and while I doubt they'll change the color scheme I think it would be best to do so. 

Since you said you'd like to try some other color schemes, I'd love to see this in a wine/light blue scheme.

Archived