NBA in Seattle

2 minutes ago, the admiral said:

"Basketball is truly a global sport! There's never been more talent than there is now!"

"Is there enough talent for 32 teams?"
"oh jesus christ no are you insane"

More talent then ever before and enough talent to support a large league aren't necessarily mutually exclusive things.

the user formerly known as cdclt

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

With the growth of the game and the explosion of talent in the last 25 years, if there aren't three extra teams' worth of players out of all that, something is wrong. It's the same as how drafting 4th overall shouldn't be a death sentence, but it is for some reason.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

"talent pool" != "star pool".

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

1 hour ago, CaliforniaGlowin said:

An updated supersonics branding could be very interesting. Nothing too crazy just a modern version.

There are so many options it could be the best.

Logano wins BOWL before Chargers.

On 6/28/2021 at 3:58 PM, CaliforniaGlowin said:

I just looked up their logo history.  This one is slick!

spacer.png

Jetstream J has always annoyed me with that logo and being green like New York Jets just makes it worse.

Also why is the wording and the jetstream all the wrong directions to each other?

Logano wins BOWL before Chargers.

Knowing what the new model for franchise recognition is in the NBA, I do hope it's an expansion team. I don't want to see the long history of the Kings or the sad history of my team (T-Wolves) just stop in favor of defunctness.

Assuming the Wolves stay in Minnesota, I'd really love them to go east. I like it so much better when the Wild's division rivals are in their own time zone and the T-Wolves have been plying Milwaukee and Chicago twice per year for too long.  And of course, fewer 9:00 PM road games would be nice, too. (Of course I really wish it would have happened a long time ago so a couple of the Kevin Love teams could have snuck into the playoffs).

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

I thought the OKC was only going to "gift" the history/records/banners back to Seattle if they got a team within some set number of years from the move, and that's long since passed.  Was some other deal cut?

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

1 hour ago, BBTV said:

I thought the OKC was only going to "gift" the history/records/banners back to Seattle if they got a team within some set number of years from the move, and that's long since passed.  Was some other deal cut?

I'm pretty sure the deal was about payments to the city if they got a team back within 10 years or whatever. The history remains with Seattle no matter the length of time.

the user formerly known as cdclt

Just now, QCS said:

I'm pretty sure the deal was about payments to the city if they got a team back within 10 years or whatever. The history remains with Seattle no matter the length of time.

Also, as we learned with the Bobcats/Hornets stuff, histories are tied to name and logo trademarks in the NBA.

According to Wikipedia,

" According to the conditions of the settlement, the Sonics' name and colors could not be used by the team in Oklahoma City, but could be taken by a future team in Seattle, although no promises for a replacement team were given. The Oklahoma City team would retain the franchise history of the SuperSonics, which could be "shared" with any future NBA team in Seattle."

"According to the terms detailed in the settlement agreement, items associated with the SuperSonics' history in Seattle, including trophies, banners, and retired jerseys, stayed in the city and were placed in the Museum of History & Industry (MOHAI)."

Shared history?   Other than something like a split/de-merger like the North Stars and Sharks (and even then I don't think it's shared) that sounds like a horrible idea.

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/1/2021 at 2:22 AM, BBTV said:

According to Wikipedia,

" According to the conditions of the settlement, the Sonics' name and colors could not be used by the team in Oklahoma City, but could be taken by a future team in Seattle, although no promises for a replacement team were given. The Oklahoma City team would retain the franchise history of the SuperSonics, which could be "shared" with any future NBA team in Seattle."

"According to the terms detailed in the settlement agreement, items associated with the SuperSonics' history in Seattle, including trophies, banners, and retired jerseys, stayed in the city and were placed in the Museum of History & Industry (MOHAI)."

Shared history?   Other than something like a split/de-merger like the North Stars and Sharks (and even then I don't think it's shared) that sounds like a horrible idea.

My guess is that the league will treat the new Sonics much the same as they did the Hornets - OKC would be considered an "expansion team" that started in 2008, and the Sonics would officially be "deactivated" from 2008 - whenever they get a new team.

• 2 weeks later...

At 32 (with Seattle and Las Vegas), the NBA should revert to Atlantic, Central, Midwest, and Pacific, 4x8...and I lean toward the Wolves going to the Central. 

As far as where they’d actually play...just as Climate Pledge is a major step toward and can accommodate a Sonic return,  the T-Mobile does likewise vis-á-vis a Vegas entry.

Here's my map for 32 teams in the NBA

8 DIVISIONS, 4 TEAMS PER DIVISION:

WEST:

PHOENIX SUNS

PORTLAND TRAIL BLAZERS

SEATTLE SUPER SONICS

UTAH JAZZ

GOLDEN STATE WARRIORS                                                      GOLDEN STATE WARRIORS

LOS ANGELES CLIPPERS                             OR                          LAS VEGAS VENOM

LOS ANGELES LAKERS                                                                   LOS ANGELES CLIPPERS

SACRAMENTO KINGS                                                                    LOS ANGELES LAKERS

DENVER NUGGETS                                                                          DENVER NUGGETS

KANSAS CITY MONARCHS                       OR                         KANSAS CITY KINGS (from Sacramento)

MEMPHIS GRIZZLIES                                                                      MEMPHIS GRIZZLIES

OKLAHOMA CITY THUNDER                                                   OKLAHOMA CITY THUNDER

DALLAS MAVERICKS

HOUSTON ROCKETS

NEW ORLEANS PELICANS

SAN ANTONIO SPURS

EAST:

CHICAGO BULLS

DETROIT PISTONS

MILWAUKEE BUCKS

MINNESOTA TIMBERWOLVES

CLEVELAND CAVALIERS

INDIANA PACERS

TORONTO RAPTORS

WASHINGTON WIZARDS

BOSTON CELTICS

BROOKLYN NETS

NEW YORK KNICKS

PHILADELPHIA 76ERS

ATLANTA HAWKS

CHARLOTTE HORNETS

MIAMI HEAT

ORLANDO MAGIC

4 DIVISIONS, 8 TEAMS PER DIVISION:

WEST:

GOLDEN STATE WARRIORS

LOS ANGELES CLIPPERS

LOS ANGELES LAKERS

PHOENIX SUNS

PORTLAND TRAIL BLAZERS

SACRAMENTO KINGS                           OR                          LAS VEGAS VENOM 

SEATTLE SUPER SONICS

UTAH JAZZ

DALLAS MAVERICKS

DENVER NUGGETS

HOUSTON ROCKETS

KANSAS CITY MONARCHS                       OR                         KANSAS CITY KINGS (from Sacramento)

MEMPHIS GRIZZLIES

NEW ORLEANS PELICANS

OKLAHOMA CITY THUNDER

SAN ANTONIO SPURS

EAST:

BOSTON CELTICS

BROOKLYN NETS

CHICAGO BULLS

DETROIT PISTONS

MILWAUKEE BUCKS

MINNESOTA TIMBERWOLVES

NEW YORK KNICKS

PHILADELPHIA 76ERS

ATLANTA HAWKS

CHARLOTTE HORNETS

CLEVELAND CAVALIERS

INDIANA PACERS

MIAMI HEAT

ORLANDO MAGIC

TORONTO RAPTORS

WASHINGTON WIZARDS

SqZ68qe.png

tL45BrE.png

If this were to happen, I'd hope the NBA would drop the facade with divisions and just go two conferences, single table. There's no way to go to 8 divisions without several of them having a Colts in the AFC South sort of situation where one team has no natural division rivals.

ATLANTIC = Boston, Brooklyn, Miami, New York, Orlando, Philadelphia, Toronto, Washington.

CENTRAL = Atlanta, Charlotte, Chicago, Cleveland, Detroit, Indiana, Milwaukee, Minnesota.

MIDWEST = Dallas, Denver, Houston, Memphis, New Orleans, Oklahoma City, San Antonio, Utah.

PACIFIC = Golden State, LAS VEGAS, LA Clippers, LA Lakers, Phoenix, Portland, Sacramento, SEATTLE.

(To Bruhammydude) I kind of like the Las Vegas Venom as a team name. [Snake-print side panels? Black, Old Gold, and Cerise colors, maybe?]

On 8/2/2021 at 11:45 PM, NicDB said:

If this were to happen, I'd hope the NBA would drop the facade with divisions and just go two conferences, single table. There's no way to go to 8 divisions without several of them having a Colts in the AFC South sort of situation where one team has no natural division rivals.

Honestly, that's basically what they've done for the past ... what? ... 10 seasons? Division titles don't mean anything anymore.

kimball banner.png

"I always wanted to be somebody, but now I realize I should have been more specific." Lily Tomlin

8 hours ago, kimball said:

Honestly, that's basically what they've done for the past ... what? ... 10 seasons? Division titles don't mean anything anymore.

That's precisely my point... why even bother having divisions then?

In the NFL and MLB, division rivalries actually mean something and are a factor in determining playoff position.  Division titles in the NBA are such a glorified participation trophy that even the NBA website gives you the option to filter them out of the standings.

Archived