Collingwood FC Logo Concept (Australian Football)

AusGiant

I love footy, though I'm not enough of an expert to know if there are any elements of the Collingwood logo that fans would consider "essential" to the design other than of course the bird itself. So with that caveat out of the way, I like your redesign! The white patches having less detail is definitely in line with a more modern look, and losing the shield and being perched on the football is fun.

I feel like one thing the original has going for it is the magpie's eye; it seems too small in your version. I'm finding it a bit tough to make out even on my screen, so I'd imagine that would only get worse the smaller it got scaled down. I only hope adjusting the eye doesn't then have a cascading effect and throw off other proportions of your version!

5 hours ago, WLD42 said:

I love footy, though I'm not enough of an expert to know if there are any elements of the Collingwood logo that fans would consider "essential" to the design other than of course the bird itself. So with that caveat out of the way, I like your redesign! The white patches having less detail is definitely in line with a more modern look, and losing the shield and being perched on the football is fun.

I feel like one thing the original has going for it is the magpie's eye; it seems too small in your version. I'm finding it a bit tough to make out even on my screen, so I'd imagine that would only get worse the smaller it got scaled down. I only hope adjusting the eye doesn't then have a cascading effect and throw off other proportions of your version!

Thanks! I'm going for that classic feel with the logo. A Sherrin (what we call the footballs) together with a magpie bring up suburban feel. I'm sure there's a large portion of Australians that have gotten swooped by a magpie while having a kick of the footy at a local field. 

The eyes are the one thing I'm continuing to tweek. I like the structure of them, but they're way too small as you said, making it tricky for smaller applications. I've scaled them up a bit, hopefully they don't look too cartoony or anime-y.

xM9VCPL.png

Yours is much better than what they've manage to squash into theres.

It is very simplistic and as has been stated elsewhere it is almost European in style.

Logano wins BOWL before Chargers.

51 minutes ago, tigers said:

Yours is much better than what they've manage to squash into theres.

It is very simplistic and as has been stated elsewhere it is almost European in style.

Thanks mate. Collingwood is like Australia's Yankees, in that you either hate them or love them. I'm the former, though it's annoying seeing an admittedly famous and historic club have such a convoluted logo. 

Maybe this is me being just detail-oriented and simplistic at the same time, but I miss the "FC". I also believe that the name font would work better (for all logo applications), if it was similar to the font used in the "1892" part.

Otherwise, brilliant. I loved how you simplified the magpie, yet focusing on the important features. Mind to show us some applications of the branding?

Archived