2021 NFL Season - Adults Arguing About Matt Stafford

Alright look, I've been away for a while and away from sports, football especially, since the Rams left St. Louis in 2016. 

If anyone dives deep enough into my profile, they'll see the absolute adoration I showed for the Rams for years. Being born and raised in St. Louis, having my dad work for the team, and having my grandpa take me to the games every Sunday was something that I lived for and cherish so much in my life. Football to me, and the Rams especially, were a family. 

That being said, I went into the game this afternoon absolutely wanting to see Tom Brady pull it out again in an electrifying performance to stick it to the Rams, and, for me, Kroenke specifically. 

However after talking with my dad, grandpa, and girlfriend, and seeing the old royal blue and yellow (granted, the bastardized version of the uniforms I once loved as a kid), I couldn't help but to want the Rams to win. Or, Tom Brady to lose again. Dad was for the Rams, Gramps was for the Bucs, and I was along for the ride, finding myself really wanting to see Stafford finally get a chance to play for a legitimate Super Bowl contender. 

So yeah, I absolutely loved this game. The only one I've watched all year honestly. I'm the GM of a pizza place so... Sundays are not for football for me, unfortunately. 

It was really cool to have my girlfriend meet my grandparents for the first time as they're aging, watching what seems to be the never-ending storyline of football; will Tom get another ring? 

This really has been one of the craziest NFL playoffs I can remember. I really wish St. Louis still had a team. 😂

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Scrumptious Ham said:

Gabriel Davis is the most underrated player in the NFL. Why the Bills didn't use him more is beyond me. That guy is a stud. He will have a great career. I'm jealous he isn't on my favorite team. 

He has made some huge plays for Buffalo this year. I'd definitely like to see him have a larger role in the offense. I mean, Emmanuel Sanders got hurt and basically disappeared halfway through the season and I feel like Davis made a case that he should be the #2 guy opposite Diggs on the outside next season.

• Like 2

That is one of the most heartbreaking losses I’ve ever seen. Of course it happened to the Bills. My biggest takeaway from last night's game is that neither outcome would've been good for our beloved Cincinnati Bengals. I'm just happy to be here. 

• Like 4

PvO6ZWJ.png

That may have been the most incredible, insane, entertaining weekend of football.... in my lifetime at least. Each subsequent game was out-doing the one previous, like saying, "Hold my beer" . If I had rank the games by entertainment AND insanity, I would go with :

4. Cincinnati at Tennessee

If anything this game was more "insane than entertain"  The game itself was most notable for having a quarterback being sacked NINE times, and yet, was on the winning side. The inexplicable Tannehill interception that led to the field goal would put the insanity level up. In most years, this game would have been number 1 or 2 on the list.

3. Los Angeles Rams at Tampa Bay

I rank this here because it was more entertaining than  the Benglas-Titans. Stafford-Brady was a good duel. Had the Buccaneers won the game, the insanity level would have went way up, but just the comeback, itself, was entertaining enough. 

2. San Francisco at Green Bay

OK. It was the insanity factor that help rank this higher than LAR-TB. Yes, the entirety of of game was not the most entertaining.... but it was the moments. A blocked field goal and blocked punt that went up in the air like an infield pop-fly really jumped out... and yes, Jimmy Garoppolo was capable enough to lead the Niners to within field goal range in the final drive.  (Give credit the Niners defense for the entirety of the game)

1. Buffalo at Kansas City

I may have ranked this number 1 just for the sheer entertainment value. Two really good quarterbacks who went back and forth. There were deep touchdowns, last minute drives, and let's throw in the missed PAT.  That final two minutes in regulation was like watching two heavyweight boxers just throwing with every intent to knock the other out at the end of the 12th round.  

• Like 6

I saw, I came, I left.

7 hours ago, Sykotyk said:

. Rams might be the only team to contest the Chiefs and that's only because it'll be a home game and enough LA wealth will buy up over priced tickets to make it somewhat of a home game for the Rams.

Have you watched any Rams "home" games?  The only home benefit they get is that they don't have to travel.  Every "home" game I've seen of them sounds like a road game.  I'm not sure if KC fans will go to the game or even watch it - they might be watching reruns of Cops and cheering for the domestic abusers - but maybe Bengals fans would descend on LA for what (for them) could be a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity.

• Like 1
  • WOAH 1

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

10 hours ago, BBTV said:

Honestly, OT should simply be each team sending its toughest player out to mid field and they fight each other till one either dies or submits.  The other players could form a circle around them and snap their fingers while they're fighting.  If one team was savvy enough to save its ape till OT, then good on them!

EDIT:  better idea - the players that are fighting are chosen by random draw.  So you could have some big bad-ass lineman beating the ever living hell out of the backup QB and then snapping his neck.

Sack Race GIFs | Tenor

3 hours ago, Sport said:

That is one of the most heartbreaking losses I’ve ever seen. Of course it happened to the Bills. My biggest takeaway from last night's game is that neither outcome would've been good for our beloved Cincinnati Bengals. I'm just happy to be here.

It's entirely possible that I'm letting my love for the underdog cloud my judgement, but I honestly believe the Bengals have a real shot at winning. NFL football is weird. Some teams just match up really well against a team that, on paper, they have no business beating.  Take the 49ers and Rams. On paper, you'd never guess that the Niners have won six in a row against that Rams team, but here we are. How about the the putrid Jags and the Colts? There is no way the Jags should have a home winning streak of 7 games against anyone, but the Colts haven't won in Jacksonville since 2014. 

I honestly believe that the Bengals, bad O-line and all, match up really well against the Chiefs. It's one of those weird "this team shouldn't be doing this, but it's happening" match ups. I'm not so delusional that I'm going to call my shot and predict a Bengals win, but I won't be shocked at all if they are packing for LA this time next week.

• Like 6

BB52Big.jpg

1 hour ago, infrared41 said:

It's entirely possible that I'm letting my love for the underdog cloud my judgement, but I honestly believe the Bengals have a real shot at winning. NFL football is weird. Some teams just match up well really against a team that, on paper, they have no business beating.  Take the 49ers and Rams. On paper, you'd never guess that the Niners have won six in a row against that Rams team, but here we are. How about the the putrid Jags and the Colts? There is no way the Jags should have a home winning streak of 7 games against anyone, but the Colts haven't won in Jacksonville since 2014. 

I honestly believe that the Bengals, bad O-line and all, match up really well against the Chiefs. It's one of those weird "this team shouldn't be doing this, but it's happening" match ups. I'm not so delusional that I'm going to call my shot and predict a Bengals win, but I won't be shocked at all if they are packing for LA this time next week.

I'm not going to pretend to know enough about football X's and O's to explain why the Bengals struggled so much with the Titans when they didn't struggle as much with the likes of Maxx Crosby, Nick Bosa, TJ Watt, Chris Jones, etc. Clearly the Titans defense was a bad matchup for the Bengals o-line and they disguised pressures and stunts and it was a clinic. It could be they just had a bad day. I saw a stat somewhere that said they're the first team in NFL history to win any game when giving up 9 sacks and scoring under 20 points so that's amazing. I want to say that Joe Burrow was waiting too long because he's not afraid to hold it an extra beat if it means Chase or Higgins is open, which means he gets taken down more, but I don't know how many of those you can pin on him. Probably 3 of the 9 were on him. 

Feels like people are dismissing the game from earlier this season as a fluke or something that actually works in the Chiefs' favor. The Bengals beat them less than a month ago, the Bengals had 400 yards passing, and the o-line actually played pretty well in that one. Burrow and Chase were assassins in that game so the question is can they do it again? I like the Bengals offense vs the Chiefs defense. I don't like the Bengals defense vs. the Chiefs offense, though, if they play the way they did at Tennessee they can do this. I do think the Chiefs did some load management stuff in that game and thought once up 14-0 they could coast to the #1 seed and the Bengals took advantage of that and were shrewd about clock strategy, which makes sense when you look at how the Bills lost last night.

I'll still be shocked if they win because Arrowhead is tough to play in and the Chiefs are a wagon, but it's not inconceivable - Worse teams have won in similar situations. Again, I'm just happy to be here. 

• Like 3

PvO6ZWJ.png

It's weird that in the past four AFC Championship games, we had 9-7 Tennessee (two years ago) and 10-6 Jacksonville (four years ago) that seemingly had no business being there. The Titans lost by 11 and the Jaguars somehow only lost by 4.

This matchup reminds me of the ECF in the NBA this part year. The Hawks got hot in the playoffs, beating the number 1 seed in a seven-game series and then lost in 6 to the best player in the league.

I'm also just happy to be here, and I think they'll lose by like 20.

• Like 3

This weekend came within 13 seconds of seeing four road teams win. If ever there was a year for an out-of-nowhere team to win, this feels like it.  At this point, the smart money is probably on KC but at this point, I think all four teams have a shot...particularly with Greasy Aaron and Brady out.

And while Rodgers and Brady are the two elder-statesmen of QB greatness, there are some good ones still around...Joe Burrow has something intangible ("swagger," I guess)...I think he's going to win a Super Bowl some day (even though he plays where he plays). Mahomes is obviously great. And it's good to see Stafford play well in meaningful games. Garapolo...well 3/4.  

The three guys who I look forward to watching are Burrow, Allen, and Herbert. 

Anyway, I think the Bengals have a shot and it's because of Burrow. But ultimately, I'll go KC over LA.

• Like 7

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

13 hours ago, DoctorWhom said:

I'm 50/50 on the OT rules. I mean if your defense can't get a stop, why should you get the ball back? 

By that logic, why should KC get to win the game without their defense getting a stop? If a team hits a home run in the top of the 10th, would you just end the game there and say "if your pitcher can't get the out why should you get to bat?"

If a team scores on the opening drive, the other team should get a chance to match. If they do then you start all over again.

13 hours ago, Kramerica Industries said:

Regardless, I've long said OT should be the 4th quarter all over again. 15 minute period and however it ends is however it ends. I've never liked sudden death in the NFL. It doesn't fit with the way the game is played like it does in hockey, or like it would in soccer.

Meh, playing a full quarter would most likely lead to teams just playing to run out the clock. I'd rather not see a playoff OT game ending on a guy taking a knee.

3 hours ago, BBTV said:

Have you watched any Rams "home" games?  The only home benefit they get is that they don't have to travel.  Every "home" game I've seen of them sounds like a road game. 

It's LA. The city is full of people who will hop on a bandwagon when it's the place to be seen. Even the Kings had people coming out of the woodwork when they were going on Cup runs.

• Like 3

I'd be curious to see OT trends...of course that's difficult since the current rules haven't been around that long.

Even with the old sudden death OT rule, I think the coin-flip winner was like 52%. But as defense gets more and more hamstrung, I wonder if that coin flip becomes more and more important.  Yesterday, I think both defenses were gassed and there was going to be a TD on the first drive either way.  Yeah, Buffalo had their chances, but the coin flip seems really important.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

Because I'm sure you all care about more Snatit news...

...Fan comments on Snatit FB pages (and apparently Twitter, but I'm not on there) are calling for Tannehill's head. I'm not willing to go that far, but dude definitely does need to look himself in the mirror. He definitely has some decision-making issues to work  out. In the meantime, unless Jon Robinson somehow figures out a way to net Russell Wilson in a trade with Seattle for Tannehill (and Lord knows what/who else--and yes I would absolutely favor of such a deal), Tennessee is stuck with him for at least one more season. The QB draft pool ain't really hitting on nothing much this year, so this is what this is. 

But none of of that is gonna matter if Vrabel keeps Todd Downing at the OC position. That guy is NOT the answer. And I don't care who you have at QB...bad coaching/playcalling can't even make up for that--well, most times it can't make up for that. I only saw a scant few comments about his wildly inconsistent playcalling--and how do you expect a QB to get into any kind of rhythm when you call plays the way he did?

I've seen this script before too: try 1997-2001 down in Tampa. Dominant defense, lackluster offense with an all-world featured back (in that case, Mike Alstott, also spelled.by Warrick Dunn). The thing that held Tony Dungy back was his choices in OCs, all of whom were frustratingly predictable witj their playcalls, and none of whom ever (or Dungy himself, apparently) pushed the offense to the same level of competitiveness as the defense. Vrabel is running close to that same fate if he doesn't so something about that, and fast.

Anyway, on toward the title games...I actually agree with @infrared41 in that the Bengals have a chance, based on their offense. The OL CAN rise up to the occasion if they choose to, else Burrow may as well order a few sides of KC Masterpiece to go with all the grass blades and rubber pellets he'll be eating. And plus, like @Sport mentioned, just a few weeks ago they kinda did beat KC, albeit in Cincy. This will be different...but these Bengals are also built different. It'll be a tall order, but they have a shot, as long as Burrow & Chase is out there. (Which again would require the OL to keep Burrow upright long enough to get the ball to the man, or any of his other receivers.)

• Like 4

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

4 hours ago, BBTV said:

Have you watched any Rams "home" games?  The only home benefit they get is that they don't have to travel.  Every "home" game I've seen of them sounds like a road game.  I'm not sure if KC fans will go to the game or even watch it - they might be watching reruns of Cops and cheering for the domestic abusers - but maybe Bengals fans would descend on LA for what (for them) could be a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity.

To elaborate on this, there's a large chunk of people in LA that suddenly became "life-long" 49er fans after the '96 exodus, not grasping the irony of them covering their cars and flying flags with an interlocking SF logo that they suddenly react to like a crucifix to a vampire when it's in black and orange.

• Like 8

VmWIn6B.png

Yeah, part of me is worried about a letdown after last night’s game. The other part recognizes that the Chiefs offense can strike at will and it’s going to take an absolute monster game from Burrow and Chase for Cincinnati to win. Still very much looking forward to this match.

The playoffs this year have been amazing and I believe its because there has been no overall dominant team. No one loss teams or teams who ran the table.  It felt like everyone was at a somewhat level playing field.

Signature intentionally left blank

5 hours ago, OnWis97 said:

I'd be curious to see OT trends...of course that's difficult since the current rules haven't been around that long.

Even with the old sudden death OT rule, I think the coin-flip winner was like 52%. But as defense gets more and more hamstrung, I wonder if that coin flip becomes more and more important.  Yesterday, I think both defenses were gassed and there was going to be a TD on the first drive either way.  Yeah, Buffalo had their chances, but the coin flip seems really important.

Since the current OT rules were implanted, 11 playoff games have gone to OT. The winner of the coin toss has won 10 of those 11 games. 

I don’t have any evidence to suggest why that is, but I’d speculate it’s because playoff teams are generally really good, and they don’t waste the opportunity to score. Additionally the rules are set up to benefit offenses over defenses, that’s probably another significant factor.

• Like 6

Cowboys - Lakers - LAFC - USMNT - LA Rams - LA Kings - NUFC 

1 minute ago, Rockstar Matt said:

Since the current OT rules were implanted, 11 playoff games have gone to OT. The winner of the coin toss has won 10 of those 11 games. 

I don’t have any evidence to suggest why that is, but I’d speculate it’s because playoff teams are generally really good, and they don’t waste the opportunity to score. Additionally since the rules are set up to benefit offenses over defenses, that’s probably another significant factor.

And fatigue always favors the offense.

It's really not a hard fix.  Guarantee at least one possession for each side, THEN go to sudden death.

• Like 11
  • Love 1

VmWIn6B.png