Saturday Night Football Fever: Reimagining the World Football League (New LA Action colors)

neo_prankster

I wasn't born yet when the World Football League crashed and burned in the mid-1970's. However, seeing the NFL Films Lost Treasures special about the WFL many years ago inspired me to ponder what it would've been like if things turned out right for the WFL. Where else could they have expanded? Could they have stuck around by the time ESPN launched? If the WFL stayed and there was no USFL, would Steve Young, Sam Mills, Reggie White, etc. have launched their careers in the WFL? Or....Could the WFL have had teams in Europe?

Another inspiration is the Major League Football thread created by @BayBaseballFan.

Keep in the mind, the 12 cities for 1974 will be the same, but as time goes on, some places will have different names to mix things up a bit.

We begin with the Memphis Hound Dogs.

spacer.png

C&C Welcome.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • neo_prankster changed the title to Saturday Night Football Fever: Reimagining the World Football League (Hawaiians added)
  • neo_prankster changed the title to Saturday Night Football Fever: Reimagining the World Football League (Philadelphia added)

The Birmingham Vulcans

Even though Birmingham won the only World Bowl as the Americans, I felt the name Vulcans was more unique to the region, thanks to the Vulcan Park and Statue. In real life, virtually nobody in the WFL had the UCLA/Colts-style shoulder loops. I thought I'd change that with the Vulcans design that you see here.

uce1qJ9.png

C&C Welcome.

• neo_prankster changed the title to Saturday Night Football Fever: Reimagining the World Football League (Birmingham added)
11 hours ago, rjrrzube said:

I alway love WFL ideas! 

Sad to see the Southmen/Grizzlies go away, but like the idea of the Hound Dogs. Would like to see it look mean, though. It just looks stunned. 

How's this? Maybe the equipment manager uses some white athletic tape, masking tape or electrical tape to make the angry eyebrows on short notice.

Nh8LUAv.png

C&C Welcome.

• neo_prankster changed the title to Saturday Night Football Fever: Reimagining the World Football League (Jacksonville added)
  • neo_prankster changed the title to Saturday Night Football Fever: Reimagining the World Football League (Chicago Fire added)

Now, let's meet the Portland Chinook.

Some of you may remember the logo from one of my Driveball threads, except now with green instead of black.

a2UW5mQ.png

Here's how the '74 alignment will look in this scenario:

Eastern Division

Jacksonville Sharks

New York

Philadelphia Bell

Washington/Baltimore/Virginia/Orlando (TBD)

Central Division

Birmingham Vulcans

Chicago Fire

Detroit (TBD)

Memphis Hound Dogs

Western Division

Hawaiians

Portland Chinook

Houston Texans

Southern California (TBD)

C&C Welcome.

• neo_prankster changed the title to Saturday Night Football Fever: Reimagining the World Football League (Portland added + '74 Alignment)
12 hours ago, neo_prankster said:

How's this? Maybe the equipment manager uses some white athletic tape, masking tape or electrical tape to make the angry eyebrows on short notice.

Much better, thanks for listening! 

• neo_prankster changed the title to Saturday Night Football Fever: Reimagining the World Football League (Houston Texans added)
  • neo_prankster changed the title to Saturday Night Football Fever: Reimagining the World Football League (Orlando added)
  • neo_prankster changed the title to Saturday Night Football Fever: Reimagining the World Football League (Detroit added)

Archived