USFL Logo/Helmet Refresh (AZ Wranglers & OAK Invaders Revisions)

Wildcomet

43 minutes ago, walkerws said:

The Chrysler logos worked better, but I think the 5 stars making a pentagon would have been a better direction or a cleanup of the original logo. These new pentagon shapes are a little confusing. 

Honestly if the idea wasn't already done by others I would have gone the five stars route, but the idea was essentially taken in my mind. Ironic given the accidentally recreating the Chrysler logo thing that happened instead, lol. I really didn't like the pentagons empty and chevrons still at least have a military leadership connection which is the thought behind the revision. I may revisit this again, and honestly probably start from square one if this general concept just isn't working in anyone else's eyes.

Sportslogo-Forum-Signature-2.png

As my previous posted indicated, I may end up returning to the drawing board on the Generals since it doesn't seem to be working; but the feedback is appreciated so I can get better.  In the meantime I got a new one up for people to check out. Moving back out west, it's time for the Oakland Invaders!

A couple changes of note; I added a lighter shade of blue to help give the design some depth and detail in the hand/wrist, and rather than make it solid blue circle it's now a ring with both shades of blue and a black outline, and the hand was changed to match. The lightning bolt stays pretty similar, but is now going through the ring. The helmet stays pretty simple here; a black shell with the logo on it. The lighter blue helps bring out the logo off the black helmet and the white lightning bolt really pops off it. Hope you all enjoy this one!

Oakland-Invaders-Refresh-Presentation.jp

• Like 2

• Wildcomet changed the title to USFL Logo/Helmet Refresh (Oakland Invaders)

Not a whole new logo/helmet concept (will probably be later Sunday or Monday for that), but I thought I'd share a new iteration of the New Jersey Generals logo, and I still want to get that right and I'm not feeling like I have yet. It's closer to a redesign rather than just a modernization update, but I kept the basic 5 stars motif, and the script style of font for the Generals. What do you all think? Should I make up a helmet based on this design?

New-Jersey-Generals-Logo-Update-Mk-3-600  

• Like 4

17 hours ago, Wildcomet said:

Not a whole new logo/helmet concept (will probably be later Sunday or Monday for that), but I thought I'd share a new iteration of the New Jersey Generals logo, and I still want to get that right and I'm not feeling like I have yet. It's closer to a redesign rather than just a modernization update, but I kept the basic 5 stars motif, and the script style of font for the Generals. What do you all think? Should I make up a helmet based on this design?

New-Jersey-Generals-Logo-Update-Mk-3-600  

Nice. Very unique 

6 hours ago, Skycast said:

The five stars for the Generals is WAY better than the pentagon thing. Why no yellow with the Invaders? That was a primary color.

Thanks, the more I've sat on it the more I'm happy I redid the Generals logo. For the Invaders it was kind of the same situation as the Panthers, basically it wasn't in the logo I was referencing so I just didn't think of it when making the new version.

With the missing color from the team's set pointed out I did a quick touch up and redesign on the Oakland Invaders. I added the yellow into the logo; frankly I just think a primary color should be in a team's logo. It is now a highlight color on the lightning bolt and filling in the O behind the hand and bolt. I considered keeping the helmet black with the new variation, but with the yellow inside the O it looked more natural for it to be outside the logo on the helmet as well. While I liked the contrast of the white bolt on the darker helmet, the yellow background does make the logo quite stand out. Hope you all like this, I still like the last version but overall I think this may be an improvement.

Oakland-Invaders-Refresh-Presentation-Mk 

On another note, I decided to keep going with this beyond the first 8 teams, so there will be at least four more teams coming after Tampa Bay and Washington. Those are Arizona, Birmingham, Jacksonville and Pittsburgh, with potentially more if inspiration and motivation keep up. I do also have revisions to New Jersey and Detroit in the pipeline.

• Like 4

• Wildcomet changed the title to USFL Logo/Helmet Refresh (Revised Oakland Invaders)
13 hours ago, Wildcomet said:

Thanks, the more I've sat on it the more I'm happy I redid the Generals logo. For the Invaders it was kind of the same situation as the Panthers, basically it wasn't in the logo I was referencing so I just didn't think of it when making the new version.

Man, sorry to say, you have some good concepts but I feel you are just doing a quick search for logos and slapping them on helmets. Dig a little deeper, look at some uniforms, pictures, etc. You are missing out on vital elements of many of the logos.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Skycast said:

Man, sorry to say, you have some good concepts but I feel you are just doing a quick search for logos and slapping them on helmets. Dig a little deeper, look at some uniforms, pictures, etc. You are missing out on vital elements of many of the logos.

That's a fair criticism. Since I wasn't doing uniforms I underestimated the importance of researching them, and the logos I've been largely grabbing from this site's database. My initial goal was more or less updating these classic logos and then making a helmet I thought would look good with it, and took for granted that colors, etc that matter to teams' identities would all be in the logos. I've been researching more with the recent designs  and revisions now, but a lot of these first 8 were started/completed before I began this thread in the forum so they were all done or in various stages of development before getting any feedback so that lesson isn't being reflected in some of these.

I hope the revamped Oakland is well liked. I'm going to go ahead and share out the next planned team, the Tampa Bay Bandits!

I made a point to familiarize myself with the prior helmet/uniform design given some of the feedback I've received and kept the gray shell color, but I made a change regarding the center stripe and facemask as the old helmet was basically Ohio State's helmet with a logo based on the pics I found. The red facemask and the new smaller graphic above the helmet help to separate this helmet. The red facemask also reflects the red bandana in the new logo. The center graphic is taken from the highlights on the new logo's hat, but using the black-white-red scheme of the old helmet's center stripe. Regarding the logo itself, I struggled finding a way to modernize and make a full-body horse/rider logo appealing without being too detailed, so I chose to focus on the rider's head for this new logo. I hope this one is enjoyed, I really made a point to try and better account for the past design without just copying them onto a modern looking helmet.

Tampa-Bay-Bandits-Refresh-Presentation-M

• Like 2

• Wildcomet changed the title to USFL Logo/Helmet Refresh (Tampa Bay Bandits)

Well I might as well keep going. I hope the Tampa Bay one was enjoyed. Up next is the Washington Federals!

Not too much was changed around here; I made the lines and spaces between elements more even throughout the logo and added some darker shades to give the logo some depth. I made the eye a small pentagon just to tie it more into the DC area. On the helmet, I made the choice to recolor it to dark green to give them a more unique look among teams in the league. It also helps the logo stand out I think given the heavy white outline. I retained the center stripe but reordered the colors to work better on the dark-green shell and kept the black facemask (I found pics online showing use of both black and white facemasks, so I chose black). I used part of the wing design to accent the helmet along the bottom jaw in that recessed area of the helmet. I think this helmet model lends itself well to that sort of design feature. I hope you all enjoy this one as well as the last. I'll be back next with a couple revisions.

Washington-Federals-Refresh-Presentation 

• Like 4

• Wildcomet changed the title to USFL Logo/Helmet Refresh (Washington Federals)
11 minutes ago, WideRight said:

I cannot get any of these images to show.  Just broken image icons and black squares. 

Weird, I can still see all of them. Anyone else on here having an issue? If you're interested I can PM you a link to the album where they're all hosted.

31 minutes ago, Wildcomet said:

Weird, I can still see all of them. Anyone else on here having an issue? If you're interested I can PM you a link to the album where they're all hosted.

Sure, I 'd love to see them.   I did a version of a Federals logo combining an eagle with the Baltimore Stallions "stars and stripes" horse from the CFL team.  Still think I want to try some new ideas with the Feds. 

27 minutes ago, WideRight said:

Sure, I 'd love to see them.   I did a version of a Federals logo combining an eagle with the Baltimore Stallions "stars and stripes" horse from the CFL team.  Still think I want to try some new ideas with the Feds. 

Sounds good, the link is in your mailbox.

• Wildcomet changed the title to USFL Logo/Helmet Refresh (Revised Detroit Panthers)

Morning all, I got a revised version of the Detroit Panthers for you to check out!

I added the champagne color to the logo in place of white, and decided to make it the color of the helmet shell also. I considered continuing the old tradition of the oversized logo coming up from the bottom, but I don't think it looks good on this helmet model with the layered ridges and recessed sections of the helmet. In lieu of that I kept the forehead and jawline stripes from my original concept. Hope you all enjoy!

spacer.png

• Like 6

2 hours ago, Skycast said:

Panthers look much better with that color added back, but why the rename from Michigan to Detroit?

Appreciate that about the logo, thanks again for pointing that color out. I changed the location name- not knowing or finding any good reasons why it was named Michigan to begin with mind you (I did try to find one)- because I feel using the state name works better for smaller cities that aren't as much of a "draw", or when the city name is just kind of clunky and hard to pair with a good team name, and Detroit doesn't meet either of those criteria in my view. I honestly think if the USFL had maintained until this day it would probably have changed to Detroit by now to better sell their place in the market. When I hear a team is "Michigan _____" I'm assuming it's in Lansing or Grand Rapids or some other area that's maybe got a decent sized population but not representing a major media market.