2022 2023 NFL alt helmet speculations

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 9/8/2021 at 5:56 PM, canzman said:

Now due to the fact that they are locked into the Royal color rush and Navy color rush as their alts for the next 4 season. Here are 2 throwback options for the Chargers but the soonest we could see one of these is 2025. 

RpYZcbZ.jpgvD8NEQx.jpg

If they pick an alt helmet between now and 2025 it might be a clue as to which throw back they favor down the road.

I would guess they go with the darker navy to get a bit more space between them and the Rams. 

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

1 hour ago, Sport said:

This is probably a minority take in the Bengals fanbase, but my personal preference is for the 70's throwback helmets because it would mean they'd finally sell throwback jerseys. I don't care if they look like the Browns - that's part of their history.

That is fair, especially given then Bengals recently started to honor their franchise history more wholly. But yes you are definitely in the minority on this. However, I do think that if they don't go with a white helmet, they'll go this direction.

Their standard helmet is orange, they do not need a secondary helmet for a throwback.

They can introduce a white helmet to go with an all white look as white jersey, pants and socks are already standard.

Teams are allowed 2 alt uniforms. The white helmets wouldn't add a new uniform.

They can keep their orange alt jersey and introduce a throwback jersey as well.

49 minutes ago, canzman said:

Their standard helmet is orange, they do not need a secondary helmet for a throwback.

They can introduce a white helmet to go with an all white look as white jersey, pants and socks are already standard.

Teams are allowed 2 alt uniforms. The white helmets wouldn't add a new uniform.

They can keep their orange alt jersey and introduce a throwback jersey as well.

But the stripes are painted, they would need new shells to wear a “BENGALS” throwback

2 hours ago, dont care said:

But the stripes are painted, they would need new shells to wear a “BENGALS” throwback

Stripes are vinyl decal as well not paint. You can see the edges.

spacer.png

Think of the time effort and overhead week in and out to keeping the helmets looking pristine if they were painted. Remasking and all to repaint. Peeling off decals, touching up solid color and apply new decals is faster. No way they could keep painted helmets like that pristine all season as the players need them for practice during the week and well.

37 minutes ago, canzman said:

spacer.png

Think of the time effort and overhead week in and out to keeping the helmets looking pristine if they were painted. Remasking and all to repaint. Peeling off decals, touching up solid color and apply new decals is faster. No way they could keep painted helmets like that pristine all season as the players need them for practice during the week and well.

Those stripes are painted, look at the paint bleed over the vent holes.

The stripes are painted. In 2018, the Cincinnati Enquirer ran an article about how the stripes on new helmets were painted incorrectly. https://www.cincinnati.com/story/sports/nfl/bengals/2018/06/10/cincinnati-bengals-xtra-new-helmets-and-supplemental-draft-steal/685860002/

Others have noticed that the black striping painted on the new helmets during the spring sessions is slightly different from player to player, and that is due to a manufacturer error. When the players reconvene for training camp at the end of July, the striping will be once again be uniform across the locker room.

This is, of course, assuming the article was right.

I think about this every time the discussion about the helmets comes up, but I keep forgetting to post it.

I am the only one who thinks faux leather helmets suck? Hard pass

Wants (outside of the obvious throwbacks like Tampa, and Atlanta etc but NOT Philly)

Carolina - Blue! And hopefully it becomes their main helmet. Too many silver helmet teams and their shade of blue would make a gorgeous looking helmet

Seattle - Lime green. Why not? They seem like the kinda team that wouldn't mind going crazy. I don't like their throwbacks anyway

Bills - Red. Not enough red helmets in this league. And too many white helmets in the AFC East, past and present

Bengals - White. Obviously

Jaguars - Teal. They're the teal team. They should embrace it. With gold facemasks

Titans - Powder blue with red facemasks

Raiders - Black. Black facemask. All black everything but the silver numbers and maybe silver pant stripes. I don't care what anyone says. They need an all black mono uniform. That would look SO good

Washington - Dark metallic gold, or maybe black or white? Like someone else ITT said, they need to make a splash to distance themselves from their former identity

On 9/20/2021 at 9:12 PM, AFirestormToPurify said:

I am the only one who thinks faux leather helmets suck? Hard pass

That is your opinion and you are totally entitled to it.

I think the application of it the way Washington did it wasn't good.

It was just bland applying a faux leather texture to the entire helmet making a modern helmet look like it was made of leather.

I think what Texas A&M did in making it appear like there were leather panels and stitching like a true old school leather helmet was great.

If any team does opt for a faux leather I hope that they go more the Texas A&M route with it.

spacer.png

19 hours ago, canzman said:

Look closer. The Bengals use black shells that are masked off and then the whole thing is painted orange. Enlarge that picture and note how the orange is slightly raised over the black stripes, especially evident in the area under that flexible piece on the top of the helmet. The sun is coming from the left and if you look closely on the left side of each tiger stripe the orange paint casts a small shadow on the black stripe. On the right side of each stripe you can see the orange paint catching some highlights from the sun. If they were decals on top of an orange shell the decals would cast a shadow. 

19 hours ago, canzman said:

The reason they went to painted helmets is that it's actually not faster. For the first 20 something years of the striped helmet design they used decals, but painted helmets require less intensive week-to-week maintenance than decals, believe it or not. When they used to use decals the equipment managers would have to spend a lot of time replacing damaged decals every week. With painted helmets they give them a buff and polish and they're good as new. The other benefit of paint is you don't get stripes ripping off or getting shifted in games, which used to happen frequently in the decal years. 

So because they don't actually use helmets that are orange shells, the one helmet rule has prevented them from wearing a proper 70's throwback. In 1994 when the league did the big throwback event there wasn't a one helmet rule in effect, but the Bengals used decals at that time so they were able to rip off the stripes and put the arched BENGALS wordmark on the sides.

PvO6ZWJ.png

On 9/8/2021 at 4:56 PM, canzman said:

Now due to the fact that they are locked into the Royal color rush and Navy color rush as their alts for the next 4 season. Here are 2 throwback options for the Chargers but the soonest we could see one of these is 2025. 

RpYZcbZ.jpgvD8NEQx.jpg

If they pick an alt helmet between now and 2025 it might be a clue as to which throw back they favor down the road.

If they decided to come up with something like that yellow fashion jerseys that's been making the rounds, royal would probably be the one that fits it better, as long as it's the color used in place of powder blue on the jerseys. 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

Archived