2021 NHL Offseason - Let's Get Kraken

spartacat_12

With the Stanley Cup being awarded, we are now officially into the offseason. We should start seeing some business being done, considering the condensed schedule for the next few weeks. Here are the key dates coming up.

July 17: All teams (minus Vegas) must submit their protection lists for the expansion draft

July 21: 2021 NHL Expansion Draft 

July 23: 2021 NHL Entry Draft

July 28: Free agency opens, 12 p.m.

Considering some high profile free agents could be on the move (Hamilton, Hall, Landeskog), some big names are likely to be traded (Eichel, Tarasenko), and expansion is looming, this will likely be one of the most interesting offseasons we've had in a while.

My Ottawa Senators are trending today with one of their most notable front office hirings in a while. With NBC no longer covering the league, Pierre McGuire has taken the position of senior VP of hockey development with the team. As expected, the reaction is very polarizing. Older, conservative fans seem to be happy about the move, while the younger, analytics-driven hockey crowd is mortified.

I'm skeptical of anyone hand picked by Melnyk to work for the team, as he likely won't be hiring anyone who will challenge him when it comes to decision making. It sounds like McGuire will be the public face of the organization in the media. There's no way he can be worse than Dorion or Melnyk, but I'm still expecting the team to be the butt of a lot of jokes.

• Replies 238
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, DG_ThenNowForever said:

Should I be able to buy a Kraken jersey by now or what?

Folks on reddit (so take it with a boulder of salt) are saying after the expansion draft at the earliest,  but possibly as late as September due to adidas changing fabrics.

1 minute ago, officeglenn said:

Folks on reddit (so take it with a boulder of salt) are saying after the expansion draft at the earliest,  but possibly as late as September due to adidas changing fabrics.

Got it. I also did a quick check of eBay if I wanted to go this route (and I don't):

s-l500.jpg

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

That's a very OITGDNHL move to not have expansion team's jerseys for sale immediately after they were unveiled.

And I've been LOLing about the Senators hiring Pierre McGuire all day. I wouldn't hire Pierre McGuire to walk my dog. 

PvO6ZWJ.png

30 minutes ago, DG_ThenNowForever said:

Got it. I also did a quick check of eBay if I wanted to go this route (and I don't):

s-l500.jpg

I wouldn't trust bootlegs of this team at all. That ice blue color will be tough to get right. I can tell from this it's too green.

And where I come from, the phrase is Let's Get IT Kraken or What's Krakalaken? 😆

spacer.png

Last updated 2/26

Duncan Keith's ironman run as a Blackhawk comes to end.  Off to Edmonton to see his kids or whatevs.

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

2 minutes ago, Ridleylash said:

Is Holland legit trading Jones and a 3rd for a washed-up Duncan Keith lmao

Also!

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

1 hour ago, Unocal said:

I............. like this trade for EDM

5.53 million in cap for a player who's analytically terrible and has been cooked for a couple of seasons is a bad trade. Giving up a pick and prospect on top of taking on that entire salary is practically Chiarellian dumbassery.

When both fanbases are considering this a massive steal for Chicago, you know you :censored:ed up.

EDIT: It gets even worse!

Now they not only take on a declining Duncan Keith who's barely a top-six player, now they have to protect him in the expansion draft, too!

Sounds like the Hawks came out ahead on the trade, but Stan Bowman should still be banned from the NHL for fostering and enabling a child rapist.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Excellent thread name. 

As for the trade, LOLOILERS remains in full effect. This franchise has done basically zero things of note since 1990, is continually rewarded with #1 picks and yet is still stuck spinning their tires in the mud. They don’t deserve Ryan Nugent-Hopkins, much less Draisaitl or McDavid. 

In terms of the expansion draft, there’s about five different guys I could realistically see Seattle snatching from the Caps, and it really all depends on what they’re prioritizing. If they want an immediate veteran leader who can be the guy to market right out of the gate (basically their Fleury), they could snatch Oshie. If they want cheap depth scoring they probably take Sheary or Sprong, and I could easily see them taking either one of our young goalies. It will be very interesting to see. 

spacer.png

6 minutes ago, Crabcake said:

In terms of the expansion draft, there’s about five different guys I could realistically see Seattle snatching from the Caps, and it really all depends on what they’re prioritizing. If they want an immediate veteran leader who can be the guy to market right out of the gate (basically their Fleury), they could snatch Oshie. If they want cheap depth scoring they probably take Sheary or Sprong, and I could easily see them taking either one of our young goalies. It will be very interesting to see. 

Oshie's also a local boy, as well, so I could very easily see them going for him.

9 hours ago, the admiral said:

Sounds like the Hawks came out ahead on the trade, but Stan Bowman should still be banned from the NHL for fostering and enabling a child rapist.

As a starting point. And purge every individual who knew and did nothing down to the finest granule of the organization that had any complicity whatsoever. 

twitter

10 hours ago, Ridleylash said:

Oshie's also a local boy, as well, so I could very easily see them going for him.

After doing some more reading, the Caps subreddit seems convinced he’s not going anywhere, but their main reasons for thinking that are 1) assuming the Caps have an under-the-table extension already agreed with Ovechkin, meaning they don’t have to protect him from Seattle, thus opening up a forward spot to protect Oshie, and 2) Oshie saying he wants to stay in D.C. 

1 sounds plausible, even likely, but obviously we won’t know until after the expansion draft, and in terms of 2, I trust player statements like that about as far as I can throw the players themselves. So while I think it’s unlikely Oshie is left unprotected, anything is possible. 

spacer.png

Archived