Portland Winterhawks' New Logo

Brian in Boston

Guaranteed this bird head was sitting around in somebody's unused pile for years and they hamfisted all the other elements into/onto it subsequently.

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Brian in Boston said:

I'm going to go out on a limb and say some combination of team ownership, team management, and the graphic designer responsible for the logo. 😉

Add in the Portland-based lifestyle brand (that's pretty unimpressive in it's own right) to the mix and you get far too many opinions and people pleasing to make this work. I've been through his process enough to recognize the symptoms of too many cooks or a designer going off unchecked. I've followed Gundell's trajectory for over a decade when he was posting concepts on this board to deduce it wasn't the latter. I'm giving him a pass on this one, but I'd love to see what he had in his sketches.

On 7/14/2021 at 1:14 PM, Brian in Boston said:

spacer.png

It would appear that the Portland Winterhawks' new logo may be hiding in plain sight in the banner atop the team's web page.

Very nicely done. Kudos to Brian Gundell.

1200px-Springfield_Thunderbirds_logo.svg

I mean, there's only so many ways to render scowling bird head.

On September 20, 2012 at 0:50 AM, 'CS85 said:

It's like watching the hellish undead creakily shuffling their way out of the flames of a liposuction clinic dumpster fire.

On February 19, 2012 at 9:30 AM, 'pianoknight said:

Story B: Red Wings go undefeated and score 100 goals in every game. They also beat a team comprised of Godzilla, the ghost of Abraham Lincoln, 2 Power Rangers and Betty White. Oh, and they played in the middle of Iraq on a military base. In the sand. With no ice. Santa gave them special sand-skates that allowed them to play in shorts and t-shirts in 115 degree weather. Jesus, Zeus and Buddha watched from the sidelines and ate cotton candy.

POTD 5/24/12POTD 2/26/17

Those black “feathers” kill the look for me. They don’t even look like feathers. Why not attach a couple of the actual Blackhawk feathers to the bird? Or just get rid of it for a much cleaner look.

washingtonst.gif

My teams

NCAA: Washington State

MLB: Seattle Mariners

NFL: Seattle Seahawks

NBA: Portland Trailblazers

EPL: Liverpool FC

MLS: Seattle Sounders FC

NHL: Pittsburgh Penguins

On 7/19/2021 at 11:26 PM, TenaciousG said:

Those black “feathers” kill the look for me. They don’t even look like feathers. Why not attach a couple of the actual Blackhawk feathers to the bird? Or just get rid of it for a much cleaner look.

I think the decision to excise any Blackhawks imagery while keeping the Blackhawks' uniform template was a very sophisticated agency's attempt to send a message to the actual Blackhawks: this is what you can do, this is what you should do, this is what we're going to make you do. You can't rule it out entirely, can you?

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

On 7/21/2021 at 12:34 AM, the admiral said:

I think the decision to excise any Blackhawks imagery while keeping the Blackhawks' uniform template was a very sophisticated agency's attempt to send a message to the actual Blackhawks: this is what you can do, this is what you should do, this is what we're going to make you do. You can't rule it out entirely, can you?

Well, since it wasn’t created by a “sophisticated agency” and the press images themselves confirm that the feathers are intended to represent the legacy of the previous mark, yes, we can rule it out. Entirely.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

It isn't a matter of opinion; you could buy literally shirts with that logo on an off-day in the Rosemont Horizon parking lot.

23 hours ago, SFGiants58 said:

It’s better than this thing:

spacer.png

This feels like it’d be painted on the side of a van.

Debatable, but I think if you go this route, having a native artist design the mark is a must, and that alone makes the Ivall original a better choice, to me.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

On 7/21/2021 at 11:51 PM, andrewharrington said:

Well, since it wasn’t created by a “sophisticated agency” and the press images themselves confirm that the feathers are intended to represent the legacy of the previous mark, yes, we can rule it out. Entirely.

I think you're lying to me. I think there was something intentionally instructive about the choice not to redesign the sweaters themselves. That'd be a pretty big thing to overlook in a redesign.

49 minutes ago, the admiral said:

I think you're lying to me. I think there was something intentionally instructive about the choice not to redesign the sweaters themselves. That'd be a pretty big thing to overlook in a redesign.

WFT and the Guardians got you suspicious? My guess is that the Braves are where the pressure is going next. They have it easy: ditch the chop chant they stole from FSU, make the tomahawk a fire ax, and now they’re firemen!

On 7/22/2021 at 5:06 PM, SFGiants58 said:

It’s better than this thing:

spacer.png

This feels like it’d be painted on the side of a van.

I hate this logo. Not really for how it looks (I think it's fine, a bit over designed and too much of a morph of the existing Blackhawks logo, but fine enough), but for the seemingly annual "discovery" of this logo on Reddit and/or Twitter. "Has anybody seen this logo before!1!!1!" Yes we have, multiple times.

Didn't it also get stolen by some podunk junior team at some point in the past?

57 minutes ago, the admiral said:

Don't underestimate the power of catalogue ordering for junior hockey, even in the CHL.

I really think it's a misstep to not change the jerseys, especially with all the interview quotes about getting their own identity and not wanting to be confused with the Blackhawks anymore, but I don't see this at all being a situation where Portland didn't change the jerseys as an intentional show to Chicago.

15 minutes ago, SFGiants58 said:

WFT and the Guardians got you suspicious? My guess is that the Braves are where the pressure is going next. They have it easy: ditch the chop chant they stole from FSU, make the tomahawk a fire ax, and now they’re firemen!

I mean, it worked for Peoria.

ghows-IO-201019993-206cb4f9.jpg?width=13

IbjBaeE.png

On 7/14/2021 at 8:20 PM, nash61 said:

Im7hLoG.png

The alternate bird head feels cleaner and more professional.

It has a subtle connection to the old logo with the feathers and doesnt have a completely unnecessary mountain element. The new logo is generic. The third is hands down better in execution and it is a far more attractive logo. Portland fans should demand they use this. It's a no brainer.

13 hours ago, monkeypower said:

I hate this logo. Not really for how it looks (I think it's fine, a bit over designed and too much of a morph of the existing Blackhawks logo, but fine enough), but for the seemingly annual "discovery" of this logo on Reddit and/or Twitter. "Has anybody seen this logo before!1!!1!" Yes we have, multiple times.

Didn't it also get stolen by some podunk junior team at some point in the past?

The Port Huron Fighting Falcons (NAHL)

M7EYfbJ.gif

After they got caught, they subtly changed it, even though it looked out of place in their way better new graphics package.

png

On September 20, 2012 at 0:50 AM, 'CS85 said:

It's like watching the hellish undead creakily shuffling their way out of the flames of a liposuction clinic dumpster fire.

On February 19, 2012 at 9:30 AM, 'pianoknight said:

Story B: Red Wings go undefeated and score 100 goals in every game. They also beat a team comprised of Godzilla, the ghost of Abraham Lincoln, 2 Power Rangers and Betty White. Oh, and they played in the middle of Iraq on a military base. In the sand. With no ice. Santa gave them special sand-skates that allowed them to play in shorts and t-shirts in 115 degree weather. Jesus, Zeus and Buddha watched from the sidelines and ate cotton candy.

POTD 5/24/12POTD 2/26/17

Archived