Portland Winterhawks' New Logo

I realy like it. The mountain comes to a weird peak because the bird is slanted down to the right, but overall I like it, and it'll look great on an actual uniform.

I'm assuming the silver and gold aspects will be as such on the uniform, otherwise i would've much rather they opt for just a gold and grey solid color in those spots.

Like the jaguars, it's metallic gold on their game helmets and wherever it can be, and a mustard yellow in other applications

I'm not sure they're hiding it. They just announced it publicly. 

Looks like Oregonian columnist John Canzano also wrote about the expected reveal earlier this week, too. He includes this interesting little nugget of history about how the Winterhawks came to adopt the Chicago Blackhawks look:

Portland’s hockey franchise needed a set of jerseys in 1976. The Chicago Blackhawks had a pile of used ones. Don’t know if you know this, but the Winterhawks’ biggest acquisition in that inaugural season was to accept the donation of an old set of Blackhawks’ jerseys.

The iconic Illinois Sauk Nation figure made the trip to Portland on the chest, where it’s been squatting for 45 years.

Really not crazy about it. Happy for the change, but it feels like a 2nd draft of a really good idea. I'm getting mid major college program vibes. Like a 2004 MAC team. I'd love to see it without the red keyline and no gradient. Just feels very cluttered and committee designed, which is unlike Gundell's typically clean work.

Meh, not a fan. I always really liked how the Winterhawks wore hand-me-down Blackhawks jerseys, and that it stuck around into the over licensed world we’re in now. It was an odd quirk that just sorta worked in lower level hockey. Now the team is just as boring as every other team in that league. 

This is boring and forgettable IMO, but at least that’s one less team in Indian dress up, I guess 🤷‍♂️

I figure there was far less of a headache regarding the decision to switch from the Indian to the bird than the Football Team's ongoing drama.

Meh.  

Some of the ideas are okay but the execution is amateurish. Others, like the WH and the mountain edge, aren’t even okay and should have been discarded with the first draft. 

1 hour ago, Discrim said:

I figure there was far less of a headache regarding the decision to switch from the Indian to the bird than the Football Team's ongoing drama.

True, but that’s because the name itself wasn’t a problem.   Unlike in Washington. 

While I don’t hate this logo (there are far worse and far better in the CHL overall), fwiw I didn’t mind the direction they were taking with the alternate jersey they released a few years back.

spacer.png

The bird head maybe could’ve been cleaned up a bit, but the shoulder patch tied into the rest of the “Rose City” theme, and overall was pretty slick. 

It looks woefully generic.  Create-a-Team with a few slivers of tribute thrown in.  Could've gone a lot of ways with it.  Went with the most uninteresting.