Milwaukee Bucks Rebrand: The All-Time Irish Rainbow

Indigo

The Mil, sorry, NBA Champions Milwaukee Bucks have had a plethora of color schemes over the years.  The originals were simple--green w/ red trim. They started experimenting with different shades of green in the 70's, and by the late 80's, fully embraced the "Irish Rainbow". Milwaukee then took an interesting turn and followed the purple craze of the 90's, leading to a look that was more "Mighty Ducks" than "Milwaukee Bucks". By the mid 2000's they decided to return to their roots, with the color red being featured prominently for the first time since 1986. Ten years later (sensing a trend?), the Bucks bring back the rainbow, but with a twist--cream becomes the secondary color, with black and blue replacing the bright greens.

spacer.png

What I have decided to do is unite all of Milwaukee's past colors in a way that isn't garish (red, purple, light green and cream??), but also reflects and embraces the history of Milwaukee's basketball team. 

The Logo

• Purple (from the 90's), lime green (from the 80's), and red (from the 60/70's & 00's) all return to form a new "Irish Rainbow" in Milwaukee's current primary. 

iZbDxZK.png

The Uniforms (remain mostly the same from Milwaukee's current set, but there are a few key differences).

• The cream is darkened so that is is more legible when appearing on and/or next to white.
  • The new rainbow appears on the side panels, and is now placed on the shorts as well.
  • On the cream Statement, the new Irish Rainbow colors are featured across the chest.

wj8hEko.png

LIVf3Dm.png

The Court

• What better way to unite the Bucks history than to bring back the Mecca? The pointed edges forming the "M" returns.
  • The new Irish Rainbow is placed on the baseline, surrounding the wordmark.

mf4qEIz.png

I think alternating greens and red/purple makes this a bit busier than it needs to be.  Granted the current Bucks stripe is rather busy, but the reason the original Irish Rainbow is so great is because the colors were similar so the rainbow was more subliminal than obvious.  I know this move was probably a way to remove blue, and I respect that, but to make a nice rainbow, I think it needs to be lime green-forest green-Great Lakes Blue-purple-red.  Or, you could try a cream to original Bango orange to red to purple route.  Bringing back the MECCA M court is a fantastic move though, hate the M camo court they have now.

hm7YvwN.png

OgzK3Ub.png

Soon as I saw the title I thought "Dammit... someone else beat me to my own idea!" Second time that's happened here.

Though I have to say, so far it looks like a better idea in theory than practice.  Honestly, I like their current colors, minus the blue (except on the Wisconsin logo). They're actually quite consistent with the classic logo.

spacer.png

Archived