2020 Olympics in Tokyo

GDAWG

• Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply
29 minutes ago, GDAWG said:

Has anyone been watching the Summer Olympics?  Does anyone care?

Skateboarding is now a sport in the Olympics.

No.

No.

Yes., so is Sport Climbing. I hear you ask what is sport climbing friend?

I have no idea, but i'm guessing it's a sport that involves climbing.

Logano wins BOWL before Chargers.

6 hours ago, nickp91 said:

Was watching I thought skateboarding had been there before Especially since snowboarding been in Olympics since 1998

I had the same Mandela Effect type of thing. I could have sworn I have seen skateboarding in the Olympics. I have never watched the X Games so I didn't confuse it for that. Maybe I am thinking about snowboarding too.

I haven't watched much of the games, but I've been following through other sources.. The Americans were off to a slow start with losses for the Women's Soccer team and the Men's Basketball team.. but with 10 medals right now, I think things are just fine for now.

I've been watching, but mostly online through CBC because NBC's coverage is terrible, as usual. I watched the entirety of the men's street skateboarding competition last night which was pretty cool. Checked out surfing, but it was pretty boring, honestly.

spacer.png

16 hours ago, tigers said:

No.

No.

Yes., so is Sport Climbing. I hear you ask what is sport climbing friend?

I have no idea, but i'm guessing it's a sport that involves climbing.

this is the first thing i thought of when i saw sports climbing:

so long and thanks for all the fish.

As I posted on the NBA thread:

NBA Players in the Olympics (excluding Team USA):

Argentina: Luca Vildoza (Knicks, although I don't think he played a game for them yet as he only signed in May), Facundo Campazzo (Nuggets), Gabriel Deck (Thunder).  Former NBA Player Luis Scola is on the team.

Australia: Patty Mills (Spurs), Josh Green (Mavericks), Aron Baynes (Raptors), Dante Exum (was with Houston but now a free agent), Joe Ingles (Jazz), Matisse Thybulle (76ers)

Czech Republic: Tomáš Satoranský (Bulls)

France: Nicholas Batum (was with the LA Clippers in the playoffs), Rudy Gobert (Jazz), Frank Ntilikina (Knicks), Evan Fournier (Celtics)

Germany: Isaac Bonga (Wizards), Moritz Wagner (Magic)

Italy: Nico Mannion (Warriors), Danilo Gallinari (Hawks)

Japan: Rui Hachimura (Wizards)

Nigeria: Chimezie Metu (Kings), Josh Okogie (T'Wovles), Gabe Vincent (Heat), Jordan Nwora (Bucks.  Was not a part of their Championship Parade), Precious Achiuwa (Heat), Jahlil Okafor (Pistons), KZ Okpala (Heat), Miye Oni (Jazz)

Slovenia: Vlatko Čančar (Nuggets), Luca Doncic (Mavericks)

Spain: Ricky Rubio (T'Wolves), Marc Gasol (Lakers), Willy Hernangómez (Pelicans), Juancho Hernangómez (T'Wolves).  Former NBA Star Pau Gasol is on the team

So, even though we're in 2021, they kept everything as originally planned as the 2020 Olympics, even though the year ended. I thought they were going to change the last zero to a one on the graphics (unless they were made in advance and they had to be used).

1 hour ago, habsfan1 said:

So, even though we're in 2021, they kept everything as originally planned as the 2020 Olympics, even though the year ended. I thought they were going to change the last zero to a one on the graphics (unless they were made in advance and they had to be used).

The medals, torches, merchandise, and whatever were already made or being made with 2020 on them when the decision to postpone them was made. 

As far as the original posts question... I love the Olympics. I will watch as much as I possibly can.  Don't really care for the sports I can watch throughout the year at a high level, like basketball or tennis, though (except for hockey in winter, though).

IUe6Hvh.png

1 hour ago, See Red said:

The medals, torches, merchandise, and whatever were already made or being made with 2020 on them when the decision to postpone them was made. 

As far as the original posts question... I love the Olympics. I will watch as much as I possibly can.  Don't really care for the sports I can watch throughout the year at a high level, like basketball or tennis, though (except for hockey in winter, though).

Same.  Men's  Basketball is nothing more than a glorified international tournament of NBA players.  Tennis has names like Novak Djokovic and Naomi Osaka.  I do watch tennis, and if I want to watch Djokovic or Osaka, I'll watch them on the ATP tour.  

14 minutes ago, burgundy said:

Two 13 year olds just won gold and silver in Women's Street Skateboarding, and made the veterans look like chumps. This is what makes the Olympics fun.

The 13-year-olds (and 16 yo) were great but I thought it was a pretty poor showing for the sport in general. Felt like I was just watching girls hurl themselves onto the concrete. 

IUe6Hvh.png

Skateboarding is one of the most difficult sports there is to do at that high of a level. It’s sort of like baseball in that the truly elite can only land the toughest tricks like 30% of the time (a number I kinda pulled out of thin air, but years of watching the X Games/Street League Skating have prepared me for seeing skaters repeatedly fail). 

Also, what an Olympic debut from Luka. 31 in the first half. 

i have unquantifiable corpses on my conscience 

Archived