2020 Olympics in Tokyo

GDAWG

On 7/24/2021 at 8:18 PM, GDAWG said:

Has anyone been watching the Summer Olympics?  Does anyone care?

Skateboarding is now a sport in the Olympics.

No, and no. 

Doesn't help that I lost my access to NBC Sport recently and there's no way I've found to watch much of anything. But honesty between no spectators and the majority of the country hosting the games actively opposed to them... I'm failing to see why they're even being held. 

• Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply
18 hours ago, LMU said:

New candidate for the Wide World of Sports agony of defeat:

9xhm6lM.gif

I'm not going to lie. I thought skateboarding being an Olympic discipline was a joke. Opinion hasn't changed, but I'm glad it's there if it's going to produce gold medal content like this... Bravo!

It's a function of media rights, I know, but I find it impossible to know what Olympics are on and when.  I check sports on ESPN, but ESPN doesn't have Olympic rights so they're not compelled to tell you what events are happening. I know that USA basketball exists, but I don't know if/when/how they play their games until after they're played.

Yes, I could go to Olympics.org or NBC.com or whatever, but why should I have to? Why isn't it just more obvious what's happening when?

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

49 minutes ago, DG_ThenNowForever said:

It's a function of media rights, I know, but I find it impossible to know what Olympics are on and when.  I check sports on ESPN, but ESPN doesn't have Olympic rights so they're not compelled to tell you what events are happening. I know that USA basketball exists, but I don't know if/when/how they play their games until after they're played.

Yes, I could go to Olympics.org or NBC.com or whatever, but why should I have to? Why isn't it just more obvious what's happening when?

They're always a :censored: to watch when they're on a opposite side of the world time zone. I mean most of the results get spoiled for the bigger events the second you view ESPN or other sports sites to find out how your MLB team did today. Kinda takes the joy out of watching if you know what's going to happen in advance. 

Baseball is back on the Olympics for this one, but not back for 2024 in France, although likely back for 2028 in Los Angeles

USA Baseball has a bunch of minor leaguers and a few free agents including Edwin Jackson.  Yes as in Edwin "One Team Away from playing for half the Major League Teams" Jackson.

Notable former Major Leaguers in Olympic Baseball:

Dominican Republic: Melky Cabrera, José Bautista, Emilio Bonifacio, Erick Mejia, and Juan Francisco.

Israel: Ian Kinsler, Ryan Lavarnway, Jeremy Bleich, Jon Moscot, Zack Weiss, Josh Zeid , Ty Kelly and Danny Valencia

Japan: Masahiro Tanaka

Mexico: Oliver Perez, Adrian Gonzalez, Danny Espinosa, Brandon Laird, Sammy Solis, Fernando Solis

South Korea: Jae-Gyun Hwang, Hyun-Soo Kim

4 hours ago, GDAWG said:

Baseball is back on the Olympics for this one, but not back for 2024 in France, although likely back for 2028 in Los Angeles

USA Baseball has a bunch of minor leaguers and a few free agents including Edwin Jackson.  Yes as in Edwin "One Team Away from playing for half the Major League Teams" Jackson.

Notable former Major Leaguers in Olympic Baseball:

Dominican Republic: Melky Cabrera, José Bautista, Emilio Bonifacio, Erick Mejia, and Juan Francisco.

Israel: Ian Kinsler, Ryan Lavarnway, Jeremy Bleich, Jon Moscot, Zack Weiss, Josh Zeid , Ty Kelly and Danny Valencia

Japan: Masahiro Tanaka

Mexico: Oliver Perez, Adrian Gonzalez, Danny Espinosa, Brandon Laird, Sammy Solis, Fernando Solis

South Korea: Jae-Gyun Hwang, Hyun-Soo Kim

First I'd heard that...

How the :censored: is baseball (and softball) not an Olympic sport... but breakdancing is now a "sport" for 2024 along side such "sports" as synchronized swimming and skateboarding.

9 minutes ago, Digby said:

I enjoyed the skateboarding even though I find the street format odd. If gymnastics and figure skating are established Olympic bonafides, why not skateboarding?

I mean I've been questioning the validity of both gymnastics and figure skating as "sports" for years. I'm not a fan of anything that's primary scoring component is completely subjective. Not to say they're not all incredible feats of athleticism. But so is Circe du Soleil. 

1 hour ago, bosrs1 said:

First I'd heard that...

How the :censored: is baseball (and softball) not an Olympic sport... but breakdancing is now a "sport" for 2024 along side such "sports" as synchronized swimming and skateboarding.

Europeans don't play baseball so they never include it when they host the games

3 hours ago, ManillaToad said:

Not entirely true but also not entirely false either.  The thing is that the Dutch do play baseball, but most of their players are from the Dutch Island territories of Curacao and Aruba but are considered as The Netherlands National Baseball Team.  There's also Italy that plays in the World Baseball Classic,  but that is largely made up of American baseball players of Italian descent.

2 hours ago, ManillaToad said:

Most likely enjoy putting salt in their eyes more than watching Baseball.

Logano wins BOWL before Chargers.

3 hours ago, ManillaToad said:

I don't understand the 2024 decision at all, but baseball made its debut at the 1992 Olympics in Barcelona, and also was on the slate for the 2008 Olympics in Athens. Its removal in 2012 wasn't because the Olympics were in London, but because MLB wouldn't release its players for the Olympics, thus preventing the top players in the world from playing. (Granted, you can say this about soccer as well, which is a glorified U23 competition. The IOC has never been known for its consistency...) 

Think it was revived this year because of a new policy allowing the host country to nominate certain events on a one-time basis. Guessing that'll repeat in 2028 with the USOC reviving baseball and softball on a one-time basis again.

2 minutes ago, kroywen said:

I don't understand the 2024 decision at all, but baseball made its debut at the 1992 Olympics in Barcelona, and also was on the slate for the 2008 Olympics in Athens. Its removal in 2012 wasn't because the Olympics were in London, but because MLB wouldn't release its players for the Olympics, thus preventing the top players in the world from playing. (Granted, you can say this about soccer as well, which is a glorified U23 competition. The IOC has never been known for its consistency...) 

Think it was revived this year because of a new policy allowing the host country to nominate certain events on a one-time basis. Guessing that'll repeat in 2028 with the USOC reviving baseball and softball on a one-time basis again.

Baseball's growing in Australia so I could see 2032 also having it.

VmWIn6B.png

Other countries after hosting the Olympics: "We don't know what to do with these facilities after the Olympics"

The US after hosting the Olympics: "Well, the Olympics are over, so many of our venues will go back to being used by NFL, NBA, MLB, MLS, NHL or College teams"

Speaking of prior Olympics:

Biles leaving due to mental health concerns I put at the feet of NBC's "GOAT" promotional machine.

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

2 hours ago, CS85 said:

Biles leaving due to mental health concerns I put at the feet of NBC's "GOAT" promotional machine.

And leave it to the mouth breathers with their “ShEz A qUiTtEr!” takes. Imagine what would have happened if she pushed through, got lost mid-air again, and broke her neck.

VmWIn6B.png

30 minutes ago, LMU said:

And leave it to the mouth breathers with their “ShEz A qUiTtEr!” takes. Imagine what would have happened if she pushed through, got lost mid-air again, and broke her neck.

Twitter is trending Kerri Strug comparisons to Simone Biles and I won't even look.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

Archived