Official College Football Uniform Announcement

CityOfWalrus

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Two things and I'm two lazy to double quote:

1) UÇonn does look good. I really like the simple arching of the lettering above the numbers. The stripes on the sholders are unique, but classy.

2) Swooshes in the endzones???? I hope I misread that. Please, post a pic if you can find one!

its funny tho, because you'll see just as many Nike logos at the University of Texas, or the University of Oklahoma, or even Washington....it just so happens that Phil Knight is an Oregon alum, so everyone gives UO crap for that, when he's done a lot of good for the university itself, yes including athletics (but in athletics just as much as any other Nike school). Phil Knight pitches in money to Oregon because he appreciates his alma mater, and gives to the entire university. And you dont see Nike swooshes on any buildings, official documents, or books.

OD_Signature.jpg

I greatly dislike UConn's pants, but other than that, it's a good looking uniform.

Nike has done a terrific job redoing Missouri's football uniforms - no crazy striping schemes (matter of fact, there's only a single sleeve stripe and the pants have no stripes whatsoever) or unconventional fonts. And there are no swooshes anywhere within the confines of Memorial Stadium.

I must say that for the most part, I am not a fan of Nike-designed college football uniforms, but I think the blame for what shows up on the field is mostly the fault of the universities that approve the designs that the Nike people propose. I've gotta believe that Nike came to Mizzou with some less than conventional proposals for uniforms and the Mizzou Athletic Dept. insisted that their updated uniforms incorporate a more traditional design.

right on man! more teams should do that. make the designers cater to the client and not give in to modern overhaul. that arhed wormark CONNECTICUT over ht uconn chest is awesome! its so unique too. i dont know of anybody who uses something like that. that could go a long way with a uniform element like the TEXAS or SOONERS wordmark on their respective uniforms. also, i think arizona is looking pretty good with those simple uniforms and blue helmet.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

oh man i couldnt stand it haha. maybe if it was filled in like a colts-stripe, but not as just piping. eww.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

I've always wondered how "Bear Down" became associated with Arizona football. Can someone enlighten me?

from the UA Athletics Web Site

Bear Down, Arizona!

One day in 1952 Jack K. Lee, an applicant for the UA's band directorship, was leaving Tucson by air following an interview with university administration. From his airplane window, Lee observed the huge letters on the roof of the UA gymnasium. Inspired, he began to scribble down the music and lyrics to an up-tempo song. By the time his plane landed, he had virtually finished it. A few weeks later Lee was named the university's band director, and in September of that year, the UA band performed "Bear Down, Arizona!" in public for the first time. Soon thereafter, "Bear Down, Arizona!" became accepted as UA's fight song.

I've always wondered how "Bear Down" became associated with Arizona football.  Can someone enlighten me?

Bear Down, Arizona!

One day in 1952 Jack K. Lee, an applicant for the UA's band directorship, was leaving Tucson by air following an interview with university administration. From his airplane window, Lee observed the huge letters on the roof of the UA gymnasium. Inspired, he began to scribble down the music and lyrics to an up-tempo song. By the time his plane landed, he had virtually finished it. A few weeks later Lee was named the university's band director, and in September of that year, the UA band performed "Bear Down, Arizona!" in public for the first time. Soon thereafter, "Bear Down, Arizona!" became accepted as UA's fight song.

Tru, but not the origin of the phrase.

In 1926, on the day before the first football game of the year, John "Button" Salmon, a football and baseball player and student body president, suffered a serious spinal cord injury in a car accident. Just before his death on Oct. 18, athletics director and football coach J. F. "Pop" McKale visited his starting quarterback in the hospital and asked if he had a message for the team. Salmon said "Tell them ... tell the team to bear down." A year later Bear Down was painted on the roof of the gymnasium and the student body voted to make "Bear Down" the official slogan for all UA teams. In 1939 the state declared "Bear Down" to be the sole and exclusive property of the University of Arizona.

I've always wondered how "Bear Down" became associated with Arizona football. Can someone enlighten me?

Bear Down, Arizona!

Tru, but not the origin of the phrase.

In 1926, on the day before the first football game of the year, John "Button" Salmon, a football and baseball player and student body president, suffered a serious spinal cord injury in a car accident. Just before his death on Oct. 18, athletics director and football coach J. F. "Pop" McKale visited his starting quarterback in the hospital and asked if he had a message for the team. Salmon said "Tell them ... tell the team to bear down." A year later Bear Down was painted on the roof of the gymnasium and the student body voted to make "Bear Down" the official slogan for all UA teams. In 1939 the state declared "Bear Down" to be the sole and exclusive property of the University of Arizona.

ah...cool...I stand corrected

Archived