Olympic Madness by johnrafael — 2: Sailing

johnrafael

Hey, hello again!

Some of you will remind of my previous topics about my NationStates nation, Lisander. Resuming the story in four sentences, to avoid being hit by Banhammer (as Sports Fan Fiction years ago):

NationStates is a role-playing game where each user creates (and controls) one (or more nations).

My nation there is named Lisander.

I'm active in the NS Sports forum, where people simulate and roleplay sports events between nations.

I'm a graphic designer and a long time member of this forum, and I love to design stuff to the teams of my nation.

Enough talk about the basic idea, let me explain the concept on this topic:

We're having Olympics right now, also in NationStates. Some users (myself included) are writing lots of stuff about hundred of athletes and various sports, like Association Football, Basketball, Judo or Sailing. Being myself a graphic designer for the last 10 years in my life, I went to design a lot of stuff, but I've never participated in Olympics before, so there's a lot of stuff I could design this time.

Now, to some concepts:

q4rGxrg.png

Firstly, I bring the National Olympic Committee Logo. It's simple, coat-of-arms-esque and includes the Olympic Star, the NationStates equivalent to the Olympic Rings (that does not exist in that forum). I also designed a version of this logo with the Real Olympic Rings, just for fun.

With the NOC Logo presented, let's start with the uniforms. The first team event of the NationStates Olympics will be the  Water Polo. Luckily or not, we had some Water Polo in RL Olympics last night, so while I watched the Women's medal games, I developed a set of Water Polo Uniforms for Lisander, including caps and swimwear for both men and women:

NI8bbC7.png

The concept here was to be modern yet simple. As most Water Polo uniforms, these would be mostly below the water line, so no need to something really catchy.  I decided to go with the pattern from the national flag to the swimsuits, but with subtle shades of Dark Green. For accenting, a light green with a little bit of fluo and all the lands. According to the FINA Water Polo Cap regulations, they must be contrastant with the opposite team and only the goalkeeper can wear a red cap. I decided to keep the concept of the flag pattern here too, applying more subtly in the dark cap, while the light cap I decided to strike with a combo of white + light green. As mandatory, goalkeepers wear red.

Just because I'm irretrievably lazy, I will not develop specific swimming suits for other aquatics events like  swimming, so think on these uniforms as general aquatic apparel.

• johnrafael changed the title to Olympic Madness by johnrafael — 1: Water Polo

YVZ6NRu.png

Today, something that I'm not sure that fits in the category "Sport Design". It's a Sailing One-Person Dinghy, called Laser. For these, I'm mostly using the design of the event logo, that wasn't made by me, and the design of Laser Boats in Tokyo Olympics. The template comes from Wikipedia.

• johnrafael changed the title to Olympic Madness by johnrafael — 2: Sailing

Idk why, but I like the decision to use forest green/deep teal as the federation's main color, rather than the kelly from the flag.

The swimsuits are solid designs, and the sublimation is classy, but I don't know how I feel about the simultaneous use of neon green AND yellow instead of gold on the logo (much like my feelings about my hometown Seattle Storm...) You might just go with a one-color logo in neon green or white, or stick with the metallic gold logo from the first post.

Also, I like the light swimcap design; it's loud enough to show a bit more pride without going too over-the-top. Only thing is that the number should definitely be in forest green for contrast purposes, and maybe the ribbons could be as well?

Fun to see a sailboat livery concept, that's a new one for me! And it totally counts as a sports design; sailing seems like a really strenuous sport...

Your design doesn't look out of place in the templated Olympic style, but I'd be more interested to see a design more focused on Lisander specifically even if it's unrealistic... After all, your title does leave room for a bit of "madness" 😝

Archived