WNBA Uniform Concepts - Freezin' Finale (with Stinging Updates)

edjb93

SAN ANTONIO SILVER STARS

Just in time for Becky Hammon's return to the Utah/San Antonio/Las Vegas franchise, I give y'all my Silver Stars concept. Take note that I'm using the 'Silver Stars' moniker instead of just 'Stars', as the team is later known before moving to Las Vegas.

I was inspired by the team's star-filled uniforms, and those became the basis of my concept uniforms. However, the team never had a white uniform during its time in San Antonio. And so, I wanted to try something new. Since the league adopted the theme of dropping the standard home-road-alternate designation in favor of 'editions', I made my heroine uniform different from the explorer and the rebel. The latter two uniforms get the star-filled design, while the heroine features a simpler overall design, but with a sublimated star gradient pattern on the jersey and the shorts.

Meanwhile, the storyteller uniform gets a wacky treatment, primarily inspired by the dark uniforms used in the 1996 NBA All-Star Game held in San Antonio. And instead of the usual city name, I went with a nickname for the city: The 210 (one of San Antonio's area codes).

0HAP03D.png

ka0F0Ix.png

eC2i2bX.png

fE336i9.png

• Like 5

• edjb93 changed the title to WNBA Uniform Concepts - Deep In The 210, The Silver Stars Are Shining
On 1/5/2022 at 4:03 AM, raysox said:

Just came across this thread and it's great top to bottom! Good work man, love seeing some WNBA stuff on here.

Thanks for those kind words! Also, your college lacrosse uniform concepts are so awesome. Comparing your original concepts to your latest ones, things have really changed for the better.

• Like 1

On 11/7/2021 at 12:07 PM, Will94 said:

is Cleveland and Sacramento next?

I already had Sacramento, so the one that's next is Cleveland. However, I'm torn between using the Cavs' current colors and the Rockers' only palette since their beginning. Also, I came up with a new logo because the team's logo, while still serviceable, looks kinda dated to me. I'll provide a further explanation when I come up with the final palette and the uniforms, but here are the color options:

wKNQHor.png

Let me know which do you want between these two! Your replies will be fully appreciated. 😉

• Like 5

• edjb93 changed the title to WNBA Uniform Concepts - Color Poll for the Rockers

I’d go Option B, as you said it’s the only palette they’ve ever used, and it stands as a more familiar look. As far as the logo, I believe you did an excellent job of bringing it into present day, as the imagery of their name does well to allude to the influence(Guitar as an “R”, pick as a crest, strings in the center).

• Like 3

3 hours ago, edjb93 said:

I already had Sacramento, so the one that's next is Cleveland. However, I'm torn between using the Cavs' current colors and the Rockers' only palette since their beginning. Also, I came up with a new logo because the team's logo, while still serviceable, looks kinda dated to me. I'll provide a further explanation when I come up with the final palette and the uniforms, but here are the color options:

wKNQHor.png

Let me know which do you want between these two! Your replies will be fully appreciated. 😉

Option A but you could use option B for a alternate

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

CLEVELAND ROCKERS

Sorry for the long delay, but at long last, I finally made up my mind: I have decided to use the Rockers' original colors, because I thought this particular color palette will translate well onto the jerseys. But first off, here are the logos. Thanks to @Jay_Mellowed for providing the statement as to how I came up with these.

8pKbdR5.png

The six strings are the focal point of the uniform designs I made, with emphasis on black on both heroine and explorer uniforms. The rebel uniform also has the six string pattern but in a horizontal orientation. This was inspired by the different eras of Cavs' uniforms: horizontal striping from the 1980-1983 uniforms, the number/logo placement from the 1994-1996 and 1996-1999 uniforms, and the sleeve/collar trim from the 1970-1974 and 2010-2017 uniforms.

As the home of the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, it's just right that my storyteller uniform pays tribute to it. The pattern on one jersey side panel and the pyramid on one side of the shorts are taken from the Rock Hall's building, while the subtle grunge background of the entire uniform evokes the theme of most modern-day rock bands (kinda similar to the Cavs' 2020-21 city uniform). The font used by the wordmark and the numbers are similar to the one used on the 'Long Live Rock' signage outside the Rock Hall, with 'Long Live Rock' adorning the buckle on the shorts. To top it all off, I used the Cavs' current colors as a shout-out to the Rockers' NBA counterparts.

Lg5NE8s.png

3Dj3bFz.png

3yifXrh.png

YyojvDf.png

• Like 9

• edjb93 changed the title to WNBA Uniform Concepts - Long Live the Rockers

Pros:

• Logo package is really strong. The GuitaR, pick shield, and orange/white basketball all look great.
  • 6 string motif is smart. I personally really like the paneled pinstripes when the Magic have tried that, and this reminds me of that.
  • Great use of the Rock Hall pyramid.

Cons:

• I would include more orange. It works well with both the periwinkle and black from that old color scheme and helps set it apart from the slew of black and light blue teams out there.
  • The primary logo feels a little unbalanced because the Rtar is so prominent.  Not sure how to improve it, though, I still like it.
  • Like 2

Sorry to not comment for a while; your concepts definitely deserve more appreciation!

Your updated Rockers logo set is a really elegant cleanup of the original branding. The original color scheme works quite well, but I think either way, ditching that innermost outline like you did on the Cavs colors mockup would make a big improvement. Certainly the basketball looks much better in black/white/orange!

The jerseys are really classy; honestly my biggest complaint is that the silver and light blue bleed together on the black uniform. I'd go with black strings, and maybe give the side panels floating silver outlines. The separation of the silver and blue on the alternate is really nice, though the difference in the outlines of the number and script is a bit bothersome (it would be fixed by addressing my first complaint above), and going all the way around the jersey with the chest stripes would work well.

To bounce off of @Akronite's comment, I imagine adding orange would work only if it's *really* minor accents (the Nike/WNBA logos?)

The Rock and Roll alt is gorgeous, though it makes me wish you went with the Cavs colors *just* so having it in black & blue would make sense.

I love the side-paneling on that blue Houston Comets jersey! Works much better as a jersey element than it did on the original logo, IMO.

I know it was a while back, but that Minnesota Lynx aurora jersey is simply breath-taking! Absolute perfection.

As for the rest of the Lynx set, I think I'd rather see the navy/green/royal striping from the gray jersey on the white jersey, and there's a part of me that'd like to ditch royal from the gray jersey and gray from the royal jersey altogether... But none of that is super necessary, since it's still beautiful stuff as-is, and that spots pattern is quite a nice element.

You did a good job adapting the Sting to look more presentable in the modern day and work with the Hornets' modern typography. I do really appreciate the upward wings too, and the wordmark-less alternate logo is genuinely nice.

However, I can't help but feeling the primary logo's dated '90s vibes (especially when it's paired with the modern stylings of the hexagon logos) and the un-distinctiveness of the Sting brand (especially after the return of the Hornets name), not that any of that is your fault.

The stinger design on the home and away is quite nice, though the silver feels very out of place with the rest of the uniform. I quite like the two alternates, though I'd ask whether the black on the Queen City jersey and the big gaps between the colors on the CLT jersey are necessary...

I personally prefer the nicely updated Stars branding over the outdated Silver Stars, but I can respect your executive decision here... So I will simply say that the original side paneling of the black and silver jerseys are quite nice, and work much more in tandem with the rest of the brand than the uniform grid of stars on the white jersey.

Finally, I normally don't like silver & white bleeding together, but it really looks nice that way on the Detroit red and blue jerseys, since it keeps the look fairly clean. The primary white jersey feels a bit busy with all those outlines; I'd probably prefer blue as the inner outline and silver as the outer one on the script and number, and I'm curious if a silver bolt with red and blue outlines would work? Also, that Hitsville alt is a nice-looking way to make the Motown reference.

If you choose to revive the Orlando Miracle, I'd love to see something new logo-wise from them to distinguish them from the Stars and Rockers, if you feel up to that... Maybe in purple for Lions/Pride/Solar Bears synergy; maybe, since the name is abstract enough to work with anything, it could incorporate a swan theme like this Pride jersey or a roller-coaster theme or a movie reel theme, I dunno...

Despite all my nitpicking once again, you've got some good work here, and hopefully you find some of my rambling helpful! I look forward to the remaining teams!

• Like 1

10 hours ago, -Akronite- said:

Pros:

• Logo package is really strong. The GuitaR, pick shield, and orange/white basketball all look great.
  • 6 string motif is smart. I personally really like the paneled pinstripes when the Magic have tried that, and this reminds me of that.
  • Great use of the Rock Hall pyramid.

Cons:

• I would include more orange. It works well with both the periwinkle and black from that old color scheme and helps set it apart from the slew of black and light blue teams out there.
  • The primary logo feels a little unbalanced because the Rtar is so prominent.  Not sure how to improve it, though, I still like it.

First of all, thank you for this review. I truly appreciate these kinds of comments where there are pros and cons, which goes to show that you guys really care about it.

As far as the non-inclusion of orange on the jerseys is concerned, that was intentional, because black, light blue, and silver really look cool to me. I know that there are several teams that use more than three colors (excluding white) on their palette, but I'm gearing towards simpler routes, with all the design trends we have now. Though I might consider adding orange on the jerseys sometime, but for now, I'm fine with the way the jerseys currently appear.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, vtgco said:

Your updated Rockers logo set is a really elegant cleanup of the original branding. The original color scheme works quite well, but I think either way, ditching that innermost outline like you did on the Cavs colors mockup would make a big improvement. Certainly the basketball looks much better in black/white/orange!

The jerseys are really classy; honestly my biggest complaint is that the silver and light blue bleed together on the black uniform. I'd go with black strings, and maybe give the side panels floating silver outlines. The separation of the silver and blue on the alternate is really nice, though the difference in the outlines of the number and script is a bit bothersome (it would be fixed by addressing my first complaint above), and going all the way around the jersey with the chest stripes would work well.

To bounce off of @Akronite's comment, I imagine adding orange would work only if it's *really* minor accents (the Nike/WNBA logos?)

The Rock and Roll alt is gorgeous, though it makes me wish you went with the Cavs colors *just* so having it in black & blue would make sense.

Another comprehensive comment here that I truly appreciate. Thank you very much! Originally, I wanted to wrap the six-string pattern all the way to the back of the rebel jersey, a la Montreal Canadiens, but the numbers (front and back) should be both aligned to the stripes. My attempts to do that failed on the back number, so I decided not to push that through, although I can revise it sometime.

13 minutes ago, vtgco said:

You did a good job adapting the Sting to look more presentable in the modern day and work with the Hornets' modern typography. I do really appreciate the upward wings too, and the wordmark-less alternate logo is genuinely nice.

However, I can't help but feeling the primary logo's dated '90s vibes (especially when it's paired with the modern stylings of the hexagon logos) and the un-distinctiveness of the Sting brand (especially after the return of the Hornets name), not that any of that is your fault.

The stinger design on the home and away is quite nice, though the silver feels very out of place with the rest of the uniform. I quite like the two alternates, though I'd ask whether the black on the Queen City jersey and the big gaps between the colors on the CLT jersey are necessary...

As far as the inclusion of black goes, I just followed the color palette on the city's website: https://charlottenc.gov/

Both the black and the color gaps aren't that really necessary, but I wanted to include a design element from the comeback of the Hornets name to Charlotte, and thus I looked upon their jerseys before the return of the pinstripes.

19 minutes ago, vtgco said:

If you choose to revive the Orlando Miracle, I'd love to see something new logo-wise from them to distinguish them from the Stars and Rockers, if you feel up to that... Maybe in purple for Lions/Pride/Solar Bears synergy; maybe swan themed like this Pride jersey or roller-coaster themed, I dunno...

Good timing! The Miracle will be my next team, and I'm sorry if I'm about to break your heart in advance, but I'm going to retain the Miracle's colors and logos, though you somewhat gave me an idea on what to do with my storyteller jersey concept for the team. To give everyone a preview, the first three jerseys will be based from the team's real-life design, but without the orange or red since I think it's out of place. Since I don't have a design for the storyteller uniform, my concept is still subject to changes, so you might have to wait further.

CROWDSOURCING:

Since I already made concepts for the San Antonio Silver Stars and the Detroit Shock, that leaves both Utah Starzz and Tulsa Shock respectively having similar names. I originally wanted the defunct teams to come back and expand the league, but with those names already taken, I'm having a hard time on what to name the WNBA teams from Utah and Tulsa.

And that's where I'm going to ask for your help. What do you think would be the names that would perfectly suit these two WNBA cities? Even if I'm going to design other teams, I'll still monitor the naming progress from time to time. Since I don't live in the US, I think most of you can come up with much better choices.

Thanks in advance!

11 hours ago, edjb93 said:

CROWDSOURCING:

Since I already made concepts for the San Antonio Silver Stars and the Detroit Shock, that leaves both Utah Starzz and Tulsa Shock respectively having similar names. I originally wanted the defunct teams to come back and expand the league, but with those names already taken, I'm having a hard time on what to name the WNBA teams from Utah and Tulsa.

And that's where I'm going to ask for your help. What do you think would be the names that would perfectly suit these two WNBA cities? Even if I'm going to design other teams, I'll still monitor the naming progress from time to time. Since I don't live in the US, I think most of you can come up with much better choices.

Thanks in advance!

Utah: Red Rocks,  Canyoneers, Salt Lakers, Bees, Beehives, Sister Wives

Tulsa: Oilers, Barons, Twisters, Tornadoes, 66ers, Mares, Foals

• Like 2

19 hours ago, edjb93 said:

Originally, I wanted to wrap the six-string pattern all the way to the back of the rebel jersey, a la Montreal Canadiens, but the numbers (front and back) should be both aligned to the stripes. My attempts to do that failed on the back number, so I decided not to push that through, although I can revise it sometime.

I think the solution here is a bigger back number! Right now they're a touch small.

Both the black and the color gaps aren't that really necessary, but I wanted to include a design element from the comeback of the Hornets name to Charlotte, and thus I looked upon their jerseys before the return of the pinstripes.

Sorry to be confusing; the white gaps between the stripes on the Queen City jersey are lovely. By "color gaps," I meant the large dark purple gaps between each color on the CLT hexagon jersey.

Also, the black is fine; it's just that the solitary black stripe feels a bit out of place when it's almost the only black on the jersey.

Good timing! The Miracle will be my next team, and I'm sorry if I'm about to break your heart in advance, but I'm going to retain the Miracle's colors and logos, though you somewhat gave me an idea on what to do with my storyteller jersey concept for the team. To give everyone a preview, the first three jerseys will be based from the team's real-life design, but without the orange or red since I think it's out of place. Since I don't have a design for the storyteller uniform, my concept is still subject to changes, so you might have to wait further.

Well, glad to be of assistance on that alternate, if not on the primary set. I imagine leaning into orange rather than ditching it (or incorporating yellow like the Orlando city flag) could help on this front, but I hope you can find another way to really distinguish them from the Rockers even without it!

Besides reviving the D-League '66ers name, you could go with Tulsa Greens to represent the Green Country (and subtly reference the extremely historically significant Greenwood District), or with Tulsa Swing / Tulsa Sound for the local music genres? Regardless of the name, the team could definitely go with some Art Deco stylings (like the marquee element from the Shock's IRL logo.)

As for Utah, I like @pepis21's suggestions and @-Akronite-'s suggestions of Red Rocks or Canyoneers (Bees is taken, as are the Tulsa Oilers.)

It's maybe a bit kitschy and I'm not sure how I feel about it, but you could go with the Utah Five for the five major national parks and the five players on the court, and go with arch-themed logo/colors... Otherwise, maybe the Utah Pines or Aspens, or Utah Racers?

• Like 2

Thanks for all your suggestions! I got overwhelmed by the number of options I can pick. But it might take a long time for me to come up with the final choices for Utah and Tulsa, so keep those options coming.

If there's probably a consensus on what should I name for Tulsa's WNBA team, it would be the "66ers". However, I'm not totally keen on bringing that back for a WNBA team since it's already taken by the G League (formerly D-League). Perhaps, I could make a G League concept and bring the Tulsa 66ers back, since that team's current IRL name Oklahoma City Blue just doesn't make sense.

19 hours ago, Will94 said:

What about the Tulsa Drillers and the Utah Ego Lillies ?

"Drillers" is still being used by a Minor League Baseball team. And what's with "Ego Lillies"? I'm unaware about the theme behind it, so I might want to ask for clarification about that name.

On 1/25/2022 at 12:11 AM, -Akronite- said:

Utah: Red Rocks, Canyoneers, Salt Lakers, Bees, Beehives, Sister Wives

Tulsa: Oilers, Barons, Twisters, Tornadoes, 66ers, Mares, Foals

Like @vtgco said, "Bees" is already taken, since it has the same case as "Drillers" in Tulsa. Fun fact, I'm considering a natural calamity themed name for Tulsa, in conjunction with Oklahoma City Thunder, but it's not yet final. "Barons" might also present conflicts due to a hockey team with the same name. And "Sister Wives" might not sound empowering for women.

On 1/25/2022 at 5:43 AM, vtgco said:

It's maybe a bit kitschy and I'm not sure how I feel about it, but you could go with the Utah Five for the five major national parks and the five players on the court, and go with arch-themed logo/colors...

I immediately thought of Qualtrics' 5 for the Fight that's featured on the Jazz's jerseys.