MLB 2022 Uniform/Logo Changes

TheGiantsFan

17 minutes ago, BBTV said:

Im on board with this for teams like SF (black), White Sox, any blue team and any darkish team. I don’t really care to see full red like the old Cleveland set or full orange. 

Belts need to contrast though, and preferably socks are visable.  

I'll hop on this train, particularly for certain cases, like when an alternate is a lighter color. I can't stand it when a light-colored jersey is paired with white pants. The most egregious example is the Royals powder blue alternate. This was a fully royal blue road team for two decades. Yet they wear their current powder blues with white pants? I don't know how to describe that look other than awkward. 

I feel less strongly about it when it comes to teams with navy or red alternates. Using the same team, the Royals City Connect -- navy jersey, white pants -- strike me as the correct balance. 

In fact, maybe I really only want to see this become a thing with teams wearing powder blue, just because it used to be such a standard look. (This has been a real journey. haha)

5 hours ago, BBTV said:

Im on board with this for teams like SF (black), White Sox, any blue team and any darkish team. I don’t really care to see full red like the old Cleveland set or full orange. 

Belts need to contrast though, and preferably socks are visable.  

I was going to say this exact same thing. The darkest colors (navy, black, forest green) and the lightest colors (white, gray, sand, powder blue) generally work best for monochrome I’d say. Any colors in the middle (especially red & orange like you said) often becomes too loud & bright. We saw the same thing with the Color Rush program in the NFL.

The only exceptions to that might be the A’s and the Pirates with their green & yellow throwback uniforms, which I think could both still work in the modern day.

I guess it’s an unpopular opinion to say that any monochrome look is worse than any uniform with white or grey pants. It just looks more professional to me. Monochrome baseball uniforms always just look like pajamas to me. 

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, dont care said:

I guess it’s an unpopular opinion to say that any monochrome look is worse than any uniform with white or grey pants. It just looks more professional to me. Monochrome baseball uniforms always just look like pajamas to me. 

As a Twins fan, I'm biased, because I think this is one of the best uniforms in baseball.

spacer.pngspacer.png

• Like 2
  • Love 6
  • Yawn 1

28 minutes ago, dont care said:

Which is  more formal?

Sport-Coat-Featured-Image-600x620.jpg?fi  black-suit-for-men.jpg

Obviously, the aesthetics of baseball aren't directly related to the aesthetics of business so it's reasonable to discard this argument, but in general, I associate colored top / white pants with a BP or "casual Friday" type of look.  Matching pants and top actually looks more professional to me - when, just like a suit, it's a dark formal color.  I'm even down for black/navy with pinstripes.

But definitely not this red nonsense - this ruins everything.

osui-0014_red_devil.jpg

• Like 1

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

37 minutes ago, Digby said:

I was thinking this week how terrible the Red Sox City Connect jerseys look over the white pants. OTOH, I don't want any more of that banana color in my field of vision, either. So no good solution there.

I mean there is one solution.

• Like 2
  • LOL 2

4 hours ago, BBTV said:

Which is  more formal?

Sport-Coat-Featured-Image-600x620.jpg?fi  black-suit-for-men.jpg

Obviously, the aesthetics of baseball aren't directly related to the aesthetics of business so it's reasonable to discard this argument, but in general, I associate colored top / white pants with a BP or "casual Friday" type of look.  Matching pants and top actually looks more professional to me - when, just like a suit, it's a dark formal color.  I'm even down for black/navy with pinstripes.

But definitely not this red nonsense - this ruins everything.

osui-0014_red_devil.jpg

I feel if the midlife crisis dude wore a tie he’d look just as professional as the guy in the full suit. And at the same time the dude in the suit would stick out and be viewed as a try hard in most offices that aren’t board rooms. The guy on the bottom looks like he’s auditioning for the next remake of dumb and dumber.

• Like 2
  • Dislike 1

On 7/28/2022 at 2:28 PM, FiddySicks said:

I’m probably going to get tomatoes thrown at me for this, but I think more teams should wear matching pants with their alternate color jerseys. 

I'm not quite on board with that one, but I think the Pirates would look pretty sharp if their black jerseys were always paired with yellow pants. 

On 7/29/2022 at 8:16 AM, gosioux76 said:

I'll hop on this train, particularly for certain cases, like when an alternate is a lighter color. I can't stand it when a light-colored jersey is paired with white pants. The most egregious example is the Royals powder blue alternate. This was a fully royal blue road team for two decades. Yet they wear their current powder blues with white pants? I don't know how to describe that look other than awkward.

I've explained how the Royals can solve this problem a thousand times: use a particularly bluish shade of grey for the road uniforms so they split the difference between Sansabelt nostalgia and how baseball uniforms should actually look, then leave the powder/white alt combo so they can wear them at home and sell merch.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

19 hours ago, the admiral said:

I'm not quite on board with that one, but I think the Pirates would look pretty sharp if their black jerseys were always paired with yellow pants.

The Pirates should just go back to the mix and match monochrome chaos of the 70's era. It makes more sense for it to happen now than it did in the 70's.

bSLCtu2.png

1 hour ago, Old School Fool said:

The Pirates should just go back to the mix and match monochrome chaos of the 70's era. It makes more sense for it to happen now than it did in the 70's.

How does it make more sense now than in the '70s?  The '70s were all about stuff like that.

That kind of look today would clash pretty bad with their park, not that there's not precedent for that (Astros come to mind.)

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

1 hour ago, Old School Fool said:

It didn't make sense then and it doesn't make sense now. So just leave it where it happened, at least. In the past.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, ManillaToad said:

Guy in the middle = pajamas

Guy on the right = great uniform

I don't disagree that the one example looks like pajamas. But it would look like pajamas whether it was all white, all gray, or all color. 

22 hours ago, the admiral said:

I've explained how the Royals can solve this problem a thousand times: use a particularly bluish shade of grey for the road uniforms so they split the difference between Sansabelt nostalgia and how baseball uniforms should actually look, then leave the powder/white alt combo so they can wear them at home and sell merch.

My issue with the Royals isn't out of a yearning borne from Sansabelt-era nostalgia. I don't particularly care if the Royals wear all gray on the road or all powder blue. 

I can't speak for anyone else, but my issue with those Royals uniforms is my personal dislike for pairing a lighter color (powder blue) over white pants. It's the same thing I feel when I see someone wearing, say, a tan-colored shirt over lighter-colored pants. There's a color imbalance that I find off-putting.  It's more to do with the top color not having enough visual weight.  It's doubly annoying knowing that they have a history of pairing that color with matching blue pants. I don't see the logic in only going halfway with it. 

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, CaliforniaGlowin said:

These are fashion jerseys that are never seeing the light of day the Marlins actually wear it in game

• Like 1