MLB 2022 Uniform/Logo Changes

TheGiantsFan

On 11/17/2021 at 11:26 AM, TheGiantsFan said:

The Royals seem to have a new jersey lined up for Friday:

Royals' social media team knows all the photoshop tricks that plagued unveilings in the past: 

Royals-Uniform-message.jpg?w=576

https://fox4kc.com/sports/royals/spoiler-alert-kansas-city-royals-leave-hidden-message-in-new-uniform-tease/

• Like 13

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

New road uni, two new alts. Sleeve piping is now thick stripe. And I think the sleeve patches no longer have the black drop shadow that had been around forever. The powder blue jersey is really cool. 

• Like 2

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

I hate the giant stripes on the sleeves, but other than that, those uniforms all look good. Think I prefer the script "Kansas City" to the block letters, but that's probably just what I'm used to. Objectively, block lettering looks better for a two-word name.

Though the A being split down the middle is 😬.

• Like 5

I got nervous when I saw this but the Royals did not go too crazy. I didn't want gold/yellow to become prevalent.

All that said, I think it's a minor downgrade overall.  I'm not a fan of the thick sleeve stripe, particularly on the white jersey. I also prefer a script Kansas City. The new one doesn't work because 1) the way the "A" gets broken up and 2) the  unbalance with "Kansas" moving over to the left chest.

The Royals still look good but just a hair less good than they used to.

• Like 7

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

I like the thicker sleeve striping, but man, is that disappointing they got rid of the Kansas City script on the road. They could've just done a reverse Brewers and used the block font for the road alt while keeping the cursive for the primary. 

• Like 12

AM-JKLUm-gD6dFoY5MvQGgjXb2rzP7kMTHmGf8UsR6KOCYQnHU-0HSFi-zjXHepGDckUAHcduu3pVgvwxe06RKDW2y2Z2BmhEOe8OP-WSY1XqLT9KsQ0ZP75J9loQuNrvLW208pEWCg9jq8aNx-zFneH9aPQQA=w800-h112-no?authuser=0

spacer.png

Oh wow, so they updated the whole set. I was not expecting that.

Overall, I’d say it’s a lateral move. I actually really like the thicker striping, I think that’s a massive improvement.

I’m not too big on the road wordmark at the moment, although the block lettering does a nice job of differentiating from the Dodgers. I have a feeling it might end up growing on me.

It’s kind of baffling they didn’t add a pair of light blue pants to compliment the jersey, especially since that was the trend for teams to do as of last year. If any team needs a full powder blue road uniform option, it’s the Royals.

• Like 11

Royals roads are just gonna alternate between arched and script every few years.  I can come to terms with that.

The new roads and alt are firmly in the ok category. I wouldn't have hated a little contrast around the letters and numbers- maybe a powder blue outline?

• Like 4

Matching road scripts are hard when the road script has that many more letters. The Dodgers one works since it’s thicker. The thinner Royals word mark font didn’t work as well as it should have in theory.

• Like 1

VmWIn6B.png

34 minutes ago, LMU said:

Matching road scripts are hard when the road script has that many more letters. The Dodgers one works since it’s thicker. The thinner Royals word mark font didn’t work as well as it should have in theory.

Yeah. Working with both of them was a frustration for me. Legibility was always an issue. The block letters have history, so I’m cool with that. Thicker stripes are also an improvement.

I’m annoyed that the team didn’t make the powder blue jersey the new road alternate with powder pants. Don’t go halfsies like that. Heck, make powder blue the road primary if you really want to go all the way.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, SFGiants58 said:

I’m annoyed that the team didn’t make the powder blue jersey the new road alternate with powder pants. Don’t go halfsies like that. Heck, make powder blue the road primary if you really want to go all the way.

It's quite maddening that the Royals are the one MLB team (with the exception of Toronto) who really should commit to a solid powder blue road look more than anyone--certainly more so than teams like the Cardinals and Rangers--and yet they continue to do this half measure thing. 

Also, unpopular opinion, but I prefer the block wordmark. To me, the only "Kansas City" script that looked any good was their very first one:

spacer.png

• Like 3