MLB 2022 Uniform/Logo Changes

TheGiantsFan

1 hour ago, Dynasty said:

It's hard to believe that place is only 30 years old. It feels like an all-time classic, arguably in the same class as Wrigley and Fenway.

Harder to believe it's the 10th oldest park in the league and will be working it's way up. likely  to6th or 7th, in the next 5 years.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Dynasty said:

It's hard to believe that place is only 30 years old. It feels like an all-time classic, arguably in the same class as Wrigley and Fenway.

And every stadium since has been trying to copy them and not execute it as well as they have.

• Like 5

12 hours ago, dont care said:

And every stadium since has been trying to copy them and not execute it as well as they have.

I'm pretty sure PNC Bank & whatever the Giants is calling theirs these days come pretty close (Oracle Park after looking it up_.

Citizens Bank Park which is the one I would have bias for....falls under what you're saying I will admit (still nice tho!)

• Like 8

I thought Camden Yards was a dump.  A very attractive dump, but a dump nonetheless.  Any stadium without open concourses is obsolete, and the lack of open concourses stifles airflow which makes certain sections of the stands like sitting in a sauna.  Between missing parts of the game to grab food or a beer, and sweating my balls off, it was one of the more frustrating game-day experiences I've had in a while.  Can't deny it's very pretty though, and the big open area with the high-tops is nice, but pretty much every park has something better now.

• Dislike 1

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

5 hours ago, BBTV said:

I thought Camden Yards was a dump.  A very attractive dump, but a dump nonetheless.  Any stadium without open concourses is obsolete, and the lack of open concourses stifles airflow which makes certain sections of the stands like sitting in a sauna.  Between missing parts of the game to grab food or a beer, and sweating my balls off, it was one of the more frustrating game-day experiences I've had in a while.  Can't deny it's very pretty though, and the big open area with the high-tops is nice, but pretty much every park has something better now.

Yeah, Camden really shows it's age in the concourses. I can't think of another "modern" ballpark without the open concourses at this point.

Anubis.png

On 1/5/2022 at 6:09 PM, MCM0313 said:

Yeah, the designers hit a home run there. They knocked that park out of the park. 

On 1/5/2022 at 5:24 PM, Dynasty said:

To me, the incredible thing about Camden Yards is how it still stands out even though pretty much every ballpark built since has copied it in one form or another.

• Like 7

On 1/5/2022 at 7:45 PM, Krona said:

Harder to believe it's the 10th oldest park in the league and will be working it's way up. likely  to6th or 7th, in the next 5 years.

Who's going away? Skydome is getting renoed, Tampa maybe going away hopefully, and Oakland is going away one way or another. Anaheim was floated but I don't see it happening, Kaufmans last reno was amazing, Dodger and the Cell aren't going anywhere...

• Like 1

Anubis.png

On 1/6/2022 at 8:50 PM, NicDB said:

To me, the incredible thing about Camden Yards is how it still stands out even though pretty much every ballpark built since has copied it in one form or another.

The only thing that makes it stand out anymore is its backdrop with the warehouse in right field and "skyline" of Baltimore.  It's been passed over many times since.

That being said, baseball fans (and sports fans in general) should be eternally grateful that the Orioles challenged the thinking of the time that sport-specific stadiums were wasteful, downtown stadiums can't work, and that "classic" == "old" rather than... well, "classic".   It was a complete paradigm shift, and even though the "neo-retro" era is over (Marlins Park, the Texas Costco, and other newer parks are obviously not retro), it really was the turning point for American stadiums.

The flip side of that is that Camden Yards ended up costing American tax payers billions, since every team wanted its own version, and most - if not all - got public funds for them.  It's also probably indirectly responsible for team moves, even if not in baseball.

• Like 10

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

The players’ union agreed (or better said, didn’t fight back against) a proposal to allow ad patches on uniforms today. 

MLB proposed to increase the competitive balance threshold from $210 million to $214 million but added penalties for teams that exceed it, while the union said it would allow teams to place advertising patches on uniforms.

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/33059512/sources-mlb-makes-first-labor-proposal-lockout-awaits-union-counter

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

The players would absolutely be in favor of additional ad patches besides what's already there - as long as they get their fair cut.

What I'd love to see is for the patches to be sold at a player level rather than at a team level.  So maybe the star player on a team has a Draft Kings patch, while the other players have Stubhub or Crypto.com patches, and the backup catcher has a Jake's Windows and Siding patch.

• Like 4
  • LOL 1

Wow - that's not insignificant.  I'm assuming there's stats that prove that it was too easy to hit HRs to left there?  I assume seats have to be removed and STHs (if there are any) relocated.

24 minutes ago, BBTV said:

Wow - that's not insignificant.  I'm assuming there's stats that prove that it was too easy to hit HRs to left there?  I assume seats have to be removed and STHs (if there are any) relocated.

From the photos I've seen, it looks like 14 rows removed.  It could be that a few rows may be removed only temporarily to protect them during construction but it could still be easily 10 rows permanently removed.   1,000 seats gone?  It's been several years since there's been a capacity crowd, so not a big deal.   OPACY was 8th overall in terms of seating, but many of the newer parks have several thousand less seats by design.  STH have already been notified.   

There are more HR friendly parks than Camden, but it's still above average, so analytics was a part of the decision.   Some of that is due to lousy pitching and some may be due to that Hilton monstrosity that was built a block behind the park changing the air currents.   I'd say it's much more of the former.    The team leases the stadium so the Maryland Stadium Authority picks up the tab (from state lottery revenues).

It's harder to find pre-Hilton 2008 images but here's one where you can still see the iconic Bromo Seltzer Arts tower beyond the light tower in LCF.
spacer.png

• Like 1

4 hours ago, BBTV said:

What I'd love to see is for the patches to be sold at a player level rather than at a team level.  So maybe the star player on a team has a Draft Kings patch, while the other players have Stubhub or Crypto.com patches, and the backup catcher has a Jake's Windows and Siding patch.

That's not going to be a uniform disaster? 😆

spacer.png

Last updated 2/26

5 hours ago, BBTV said:

The players would absolutely be in favor of additional ad patches besides what's already there - as long as they get their fair cut.

Well that sounds horrible...

• Like 5