ARZ, ATL, CAR, LAR, SEA added 4/9 | Perrin Redesigns the NFL

PERRIN

I've done a thread for NFL redesigns in the past, but looking back I'm not too fond of any of the changes I made. So, I decided to go at an full NFL redesign again, tailored more toward making every team look the best they can than change for change's sake. I'm sure some of the changes I've made are ultimately gonna ruffle someone's feathers, but this project is more of a personal 'what if' scenario looking at what changes would be made if it were up to me alone. With that little intro out of the way, let's lay out some rules.

• Teams may have up to 2 alternate uniforms; 1 home alt and 1 away alt. Alternate uniforms can be worn for up to 5 games a year.
  • 1 alternate uniform, preferably a throwback, may use an alternate-colored helmet.
  • Socks must contrast pants on the main set;  1 alt/throwback look for each team can go full monochrome.
  • Both of a team's alternate uniforms can be throwback/fauxback looks.
  • If a team prefers white-at-home or one set over another, then the preferred uniform cannot be worn more than 10 games a year. (Looking at you, Cowboys!)
  • Color vs. Color matchups are allowed, though only with sufficient, noticeable contrast to accommodate for colorblind viewers.

Alright, time to jump into the redesigned jerseys.

Buffalo Bills

The Bills already have a really solid look nailed down, so only minor tweaks are needed for them to be perfect in my eyes. The facemask switches from white to blue, the navy trim is eliminated, and the champion block font returns. Alts include a red jersey taken from the current color rush look and the white 1960s throwback they've used for awhile now.

y5ThyBz.png

XLyFTjg.png

Miami Dolphins

The current Dolphins set is woefully average. Nothing terrible, but a far cry from what they could look like. My redesign meshes the throwbacks with the current set for a more balanced look, with two striping patterns that keep the aqua and orange separate for contrast. An update orange alt jersey gets thrown into the mix, along with a vice-themed Color Rush set for extra Miami flair. Logo is a color-modified version of Mark Crosby's amazing Dolphins logo.

FkwoUIN.png

UrNn9mg.png

New England Patriots

The current Pats look is easily the worst in the team's history. Every single previous set, however gaudy or stuck in the early 2000's, has worked with the era it's from and been some form of charming or iconic. The current mismatched color rush is just boring and ugly. So I took the good elements of the color rush and the Brady era set and reworked it to be more consistent and professional. Navy pants get the boot. Alts bring the return of the Elvis shoulder '96 set and the classic shoulder stripes Pat Patriot set.

0UQN0Zw.png

LEZRgw0.png

New York Jets

The Jets current triangle stripe set isn't bad, but they feel more like a MAC NCAA team than a Nike-branded NFL franchise, especially one with such a long history. I kept the Kelly green helmets, with a custom NY plane logo inspired by Mark Crosby and GameplanChicago's Jets concepts. Jersey and sock striping is a shrunken, more stripes version of the classic shoulder stripes of the past. Pants and helmet stripes angle at the bottom for a jet trail effect. Alternates include a reworked black alt and a New York Titans AFL throwback.

bII2OXI.png

o9rHCzR.png

That's all I have for now. I plan to take this series a division at a time, maybe updating sporadically every 2-8 weeks or so. This fall will be particularly busy for me (yay senior year) so posts here or on the IAAF thread will be fewer and farther between.

Made in Affinity Designer. C&C appreciated.

• Like 31
  • Applause 1

lBzmcSM.png

Perrin Grubb | Aspiring Designer | NAFA Project ~ NFL Redesigns

A new Perrin series, exciting! Let's see what we got here:

BUF - Love what you've done here, no complaints!

MIA - I like the primary set, the two alts feel unnecessary, but they're solid enough.

NE - I don't really like the numbers on the white jersey, it feels too busy. Definitely an improvement with everything else.

NYJ - No black. No thanks. Some teams don't need alternates. Everything else is nice.

• Like 1

the user formerly known as cdclt

Well done with all of these, the Pats concept really stands out. Your take on the shoulder stripes offers a modern look that still harkens to the beloved throwback they are currently failing to live up to. 

The Miami Vice alt makes me think... What if all the Miami teams had a vice-inspired alt but they maintained their individual identity? The Heat have obviously gone pretty far with the city jerseys, but their primaries remain great. The Dolphins have a unique look as it is, but I love this alt. And the Marlins latest rebrand still doesn't seem like something with staying power. It'd be much better if they returned to the teal & black while throwing a vice alt in as well.

• Like 1

I think these are great!  You've done a really good job of mixing classic and modern elements. My only complaint (and my one complaint for the NFL in general) is too many all-white uniforms.  I think the NFL has the best spectrum of color combinations out of the Big 4, and it seems like most teams don't use their colors properly and wear far too much white

• 2 weeks later...

Going at the series a division at a time isn't working for me, so I'm just gonna post teams on their own as I make 'em. Given that, here's Atlanta.

The Falcons' current set doesn't seem terrible on paper, but in practice it looks both garish and underwhelming at the same time. My redesign throws out the whole current set aside from a tweaked number font, adding a striping pattern based off of the body segments in the logo and returning to red helmets and silver pants. The Falcons logo just doesn't work on a black background to me, plus the red helmet helps set them apart from other black jersey teams. Alternates include a red alternate instead of a gross gradient mess and a white throwback to the Falcons' 1997 set.

nKFPfG4.png

j6Wz0gC.png

That's all I have for now, expect some scattered teams every once in a while. I'm mostly just doing whatever team I have ideas for in the moment, so I can't say for sure who'll be next.

• Like 19

lBzmcSM.png

• PERRIN changed the title to Perrin Redesigns the NFL: Atlanta Falcons Added 9/7
  • 2 weeks later...

I was hoping for some C&C on the Falcons, but whatever. On to the next team, the Titans.

Tennessee Titans

The Titans current set makes me unspeakably angry. Every single element is cheesy or ugly or both, and yet somehow it comes together to not look that bad. It's still awful, especially in monochrome, but at the very least all the stupid stuff plays off of each other well. And yet, it's awful. The color balance is atrocious, taking a unique and vibrant color scheme and turning it into a bland mess of navy and grey.  The sword motif is wayyy overplayed and is executed poorly, there's way too many bad-looking combos, the helmet looks ugly, and there's not nearly enough powder blue. My redesign takes the whole current set and combines what works there with the previous look, slightly tweaking the colors to be more vibrant, turning the sword motif into a usable striping pattern, emphasizing the blocks of color that made the Titans' inaugural set so enduring, making the helmet light blue, and ditching all the gross silver tones. The alternates include a light blue jersey and a throwback to the inaugural Titans set.

qWYKq10.png

uGUwg66.png

That's all for now, I have some ideas for some teams with more pressing need for change, but I'm still keeping with the 'one team at a time' plan.

• Like 27

lBzmcSM.png

• PERRIN changed the title to Titans added 9/18 | Perrin Redesigns the NFL

I like what you've done with both Atlanta and Tennessee here. Not sure I see the need for navy pants for the Titans, but that's ultimately not a big deal. I still think Atlanta's number font is ridiculously ugly, but at least it's not the Titans' real-life garbage. Great work here, looking forward to the next team.

• Like 5

I think I prefer the falcons with a black helmet, but then the color balance would be too black heavy I feel, especially for the road whites. I just think they maybe look too much like Georgia, even though it's a cool callback to have the falcons pay homage to the bulldogs. I agree with QCS about the number font still being pretty rough, but the set overall is a massive upgrade, with or without the black helmet. Not sure why I've always loved the Titans inaugural uniforms, and this new set feels like a perfect modernization of what is, in my opinion, a modern classic, albeit a little dated. These feel like the perfect refresh, wish they were really being used on the field. 

• Like 2

• 8 months later...

Been a while since I updated this thread. I haven't had many ideas for NFL teams over the last 8 months, but now that school is over I might start picking this series up again. I recently did a quick redesign for the Washington Commanders as a entry to a small branding contest, so I thought I'd share it here.

I decided - half out of laziness, half because it's more of a challenge - to stick with the Commanders moniker, despite not liking it all that much. This is less of rebranding Washington to be my ideal team, but fixing the Commanders brand to be something that's actually serviceable and fits the city of DC without using too much military imagery.

The logo keeps the W, with the stars and stripes of the DC flag added for flair and the Washington Monument hidden in the negative space.

I redesigned the badge to be far simpler, still retaining many of the elements of the original without looking cluttered. I also added a secondary pentagonal logo based off of my NAFA team, the Washington Sentinels.

The uniforms return to a more traditional style, with the stripes and stars from the logo used on the shoulders and blocky stenciled numbers adding a slight modern flair. I decided to bring back the gold pants as a primary combo, as I'm not too fond of having white pants when there's so much gold elsewhere in the uniform set. I kept the white and burgundy pants as secondary options.

Overall, I'm quite pleased with this redesign. Can't wait to see what y'all think.

wndgzMy.png

OEIJJEL.png

uaydIlM.png

5i9ANcj.png

That's all for now. I'll try to come up with more ideas to continue my NFL redesigns, but I've found that many of my ideas are either to similar to other concepts out there or don't change enough from the original sets to warrant posting. Regardless, I'll see what I can do.

• Like 24

lBzmcSM.png

• PERRIN changed the title to Commanders Added 5/27 | Perrin Redesigns the NFL
  • 1 month later...

With the Texans releasing a new Battle Red alternate helmet, I took a stab at redesigning the Texans with an emphasis on red over navy, inspired by @nate.sweitz's Texans concept. Harnessing Texas flag imagery, the new uniforms rely on thick blocky stripes of color for a more modern look. Jerseys and pants come in red, white, and navy to be mixed and matched. The number font style invokes an ol’ western flair. For the throwback, I just said ‘screw it’ and gave the Texans some Oilers throwbacks. I don't care that the Titans own the rights. I make the rules here. I am a cranky toddler and the NFL is my sandbox. I put together a generic 1930’s-adjacent fauxback, but I wasn’t a huge fan. This is much funner.

PhehOfm.png

1jwO4h5.png

That’s all for now. Made in Affinity Designer. C&C appreciated

• Like 12
  • LOL 2

lBzmcSM.png

• PERRIN changed the title to Texans added 7/19 | Perrin Redesigns the NFL

Loving the design, the only thing that's not working for me is the overprint on the shoulder numbers. I'd either drop them or make them smaller so they can fit within the yoke. I especially love the Oilers throwback. Houston deserves it!

• Like 4