Rochester Rhinos now "Rochester New York FC"

Burmy

Being the only non-MLS team to win the US Open Cup (since MLS started) is something to continue embracing. The 1999 Rochester Rhinos are important in US Soccer history and should be treated as such. Your erasing its legacy for this cheap European style name. 

If they wanted New York in the name, Rochester Rhinos NY would've done just fine. 

XM4KeeA.png

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 hours ago, MJWalker45 said:

That logo is absolutely dreadful and it's not even the worst part of this rebrand. 

And sometimes I think that the name is all that's still out there. I know they're in NISA now, but they've sat out part of the current season so it's almost like they roll the name out to keep someone else from taking it. 

We saw that when Columbus Crew became Columbus SC for about 3 days. People were willing to let that stuff sit around and cost the Haslem's some cash. They changed back to Columbus Crew SC, and slightly changed the incoming badge but I guess we'll see how well that change does next season.  As far as the Yankees outselling the others, it's because they are the big local team. I'd expect them to outsell everyone, especially since the Jets and Giants are floundering and the Mets are the Mets. Even though the Yankees haven't won the World Series in a while, they are still competitive enough to make the playoffs and they are still the team that everyone else in the league hates more than anything else. 

I like the update more than the original. They could have tried keeping the badge shape of the original but it's much cleaner than the one on it's replacing. 

The Yankees outsell ALL sports teams worldwide!  Just not in the NY/NJ/CT metropolitan area!  The Cowboys are outsold by the Montreal Canadiens and even the Toronto Maple Leafs.  

The Sounders put forth 5 names for fan vote and did NOT include Sounders.  The team allowed them to write in a name, and Sounders won convincingly.  

tumblr_nulnnz7RCV1r5jqq2o1_250.jpg

Oh what could have been....

24 minutes ago, the admiral said:

I've noticed the convention now seems to be "Nippon-Ham Fighters," finally settling whether the team fights against ham or on behalf of it. 

Yeah, and the results are disappointing. Now they can't have cold cut races during the seventh inning stretch. 

24 minutes ago, Needschat said:

The Yankees outsell ALL sports teams worldwide!  Just not in the NY/NJ/CT metropolitan area!  The Cowboys are outsold by the Montreal Canadiens and even the Toronto Maple Leafs.  

The Sounders put forth 5 names for fan vote and did NOT include Sounders.  The team allowed them to write in a name, and Sounders won convincingly.  

Same would've happened in Columbus and Montreal and, I'd wager, Rochester, had such things been allowed to happen. Thank goodness the original Seattle ownership monkey's paw-ed their way into that one.

Showcasing fan-made sports apparel by artists and designers

1 hour ago, IceCap said:

I've never heard of anyone having any issues with the names of Japanese teams. The league is incredibly popular over there and if there were any issues with the way the teams were named I feel like we'd have heard about it by now. 

Oh yeah - I've been to a game, and it's super fun - like being at a college football game, but baseball.  The best part is the beer vendors are young women who literally have mini-kegs strapped to their back with a tap to fill you up.  Just sayin' we don't read the Japanese SportsLogos.net (logo being half the rising sun and half a maple leaf for some reason).  Given their lust for certain aspects of western culture, I highly doubt that they have issues, but I wouldn't assume it just for argument's sake.

But, the real issue is that Rhinos is too cool and underused to be flushed down the toilet.   If there's any kind of fan backlash and they bring back the name, I'll buy a shirt and maybe a cap, even though I never heard of them till right now.  

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

56 minutes ago, BBTV said:

...but I wouldn't assume it just for argument's sake.

I get where you're coming from...but I think Japanese baseball at that level is so well established that we can assume that they're fine with how the teams are named. 

22 hours ago, Digby said:

At the very least, a true faux-English rebrand could've done just fine with "Rochester FC" and kept the rhino as the focus of a shield in the English animal mascot tradition, these bizarre hybrid brands are the worst of all worlds and will age about as well as Miami Fusion did.

This I could probably live with.  Just don't do away with any hint of the rhino.

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

On 9/2/2021 at 6:14 AM, oldschoolvikings said:

Interesting point about Japanese baseball teams. Was there some other previously established naming convention they left behind for American style names?

The earliest pro baseball teams in Japan sported both names that ran the gamut of construction: Dai Tokyo, Hankyu Baseball Club, Nagoya Baseball Club, Tokyo Kyojin (Giants), Nagoya Golden Dolphins, Osaka Tigers, Tokyo Senators. 

Due to hostility towards the West during the build up to World War II and throughout the conflict, the Japanese Baseball League (1936-1949) banned the use of English in team names.

With the launch of Nippon Professional Baseball in 1950, the move towards today's mash-up of geographic place names, corporate owner/sponsor brands, and nicknames began (i.e. Chiba Lotte Marines, Fukuoka SoftBank Hawks, Hiroshima Toyo Carp, Hokkaido Nippon-Ham Fighters, Saitama Seibu Lions, Tokyo Yakult Swallows, Yokohama DeNA BayStars). 

13 hours ago, nickp91 said:

the Columbus Crew faithful pressured ownership to keep the name of their team Maybe the Rochester faithful can do the same

The club have played a single game since 2017. How many have stuck around since?

XM4KeeA.png

All this Euroizing and global branding desperation is the 21st century version of the 90's "Black For Black's Sakes" branding. It's the theft of anything distinctive, unique and North American sports traditional. I remember great games between my Vancouver Whitecaps and the Rhinos in the A-League and USL. Just like in Montreal and Columbus, Rhinos ownership DIDN'T EVEN consult their fan base about brand satisfaction. A longtime and longstanding team name ditched just to satisfy the globalists.

Here is a great read:

https://www.si.com/soccer/2021/05/10/columbus-sc-crew-team-name-mls-rebrand

5 hours ago, Dilbert said:

The sad thing is this is NISA level branding, however NISA already has an expansion team for Rochester starting next year and their branding is better than this

spacer.png

Flower City is fine but UNION?

I suppose FCFC is to much.

Logano wins BOWL before Chargers.

Archived