Not the best sponsor for a girls soccer team...

Does anyone even use that word anymore to describe women?  I kinda feel like that's a term from a bygone era.  

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

1 hour ago, BBTV said:

Does anyone even use that word anymore to describe women?  I kinda feel like that's a term from a bygone era.  

Exactly, we've moved on to more contemporary terms like hussy or strumpet.

I think it was two summers ago that every woman with a media career was writing thinkpieces called "In Praise of the Himbo: Why Men To Whom It Would Never Occur To Read Are Actually Good."

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

2 hours ago, the admiral said:

I think it was two summers ago that every woman with a media career was writing thinkpieces called "In Praise of the Himbo: Why Men To Whom It Would Never Occur To Read Are Actually Good."

Technically this is a himbo:

spacer.png

Sonic Adventure’s facial animations haven’t exactly aged well.

10 hours ago, Red Wolf said:

Exactly, we've moved on to more contemporary terms like hussy or strumpet.

Or "jezebel"... but I've only ever heard Jim Ross use that one.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

8 hours ago, the admiral said:

Nothing from that era has. I thought Final Fantasy VII was the most beautiful game I'd ever seen.

Gamasutra - The afterimage of Final Fantasy VII

FFVIII doesn’t look to bad and it’s from that era.

spacer.png

SquareEnix has put out nice-quality remasters of VII and VIII, while Sega is gleefully dumping out the same glitchy ports of its Sonic Adventure series. And we wonder why “Sonic was never good” became such a popular statement!*

*It might just be a reaction to some of the fandom. You know what I mean.

2 hours ago, SFGiants58 said:

FFVIII doesn’t look to bad and it’s from that era.

spacer.png

SquareEnix has put out nice-quality remasters of VII and VIII, while Sega is gleefully dumping out the same glitchy ports of its Sonic Adventure series. And we wonder why “Sonic was never good” became such a popular statement!*

*It might just be a reaction to some of the fandom. You know what I mean.

Counterpoint:

https://www.retrogameage.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/07/00000106.jpg

https://images.pushsquare.com/news/2012/09/feature_the_making_of_castlevania_symphony_of_the_night/attachment/3/large.jpg

http://199.101.98.242/media/shots/317-Guardian_Heroes_(U)-10.jpg

x52273--layer-section.png.pagespeed.ic._

The rush to 3D squeezed out some amazing 2D games that are still good today.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

1 hour ago, DTConcepts said:

This is the only place on Earth where a discussion on a womens' soccer uniform sponsor can spiral into a discussion on '90s video game graphics, and goddamnit I'm proud of it.

Lemme tell y’all about why CRT monitors made graphics better in the old days:

Just now, Eastport76 said:

Huh? I thought this thread is about a women’s soccer sponsor discussion, not a 90s video game graphic thread.

There's not much to discuss! It's a funny picture, you laugh and move on. Over at Dave Portnoy's Sports Logos Community, maybe they're ranking the girls.

Anyway, in retrospect, I have greater respect for a game like Final Fantasy VI realizing its constraints and trying to excel within them rather than pushing too hard and looking embarrassingly dated. A sprites-and-tiles JPRG from 1994 doesn't look timeless, but it still looks pretty good.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

9 minutes ago, the admiral said:

Anyway, in retrospect, I have greater respect for a game like Final Fantasy VI realizing its constraints and trying to excel within them rather than pushing too hard and looking embarrassingly dated. A sprites-and-tiles JPRG from 1994 doesn't look timeless, but it still looks pretty good.

The original Donkey Kong Country is a gosh-darn triumph of game design. Packing that much into the SNES is pretty darn impressive.

spacer.png

Donkey Kong Country holds up more than its N64 sequel, I’d argue. It’s also a game where CRT shading/having a CRT monitor makes a difference.

CCVGGC - Chris Creamer’s Video Game Graphics Community. Needs scanlines.

They made such a big deal about DKC being 3D, but it was just sprites made out of 3D models. It was like Mortal Kombat but digitized 3D models instead of people. Impressive, but maybe just a bit oversold.

On the other hand, of the countless games that followed with digitized 3D sprites, I don't think it ever got better.

And speaking of Mortal Kombat, I think digitized human sprites peaked not with MK or NBA Jam, but instead the arcade version (and only the arcade version) of Street Fighter the Movie.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

Archived