2021-2022 National Team Rugby Kits

kiwi_canadian

I love a good chat about Rugby (League and Union) as well as Gaelic Rules and Lesser Country Soccer assaociations.

I see your point about Old Boys, we have it here also but to a lesser extent.

Do you think the Canada RU could set up a East and West Division or similar to lessen the travel?

Logano wins BOWL before Chargers.

14 hours ago, tigers said:

I love a good chat about Rugby (League and Union) as well as Gaelic Rules and Lesser Country Soccer assaociations.

I see your point about Old Boys, we have it here also but to a lesser extent.

Do you think the Canada RU could set up a East and West Division or similar to lessen the travel?

They currently do have a competition with regions already set up with the BC Bears representing British Columbia, the Prairie Wolfpack representing players in Alberta, Saskatchewan and Manitoba, the Ontario Blues representing Ontario and the Atlanic Rock representing the Atlanic provinces and Quebec. I think the last competion was played in 2019. Because of COVID, I'm not sure if they have held any since. I think if they set up something like they have with the Canadian Premier League, it could maybe work. I think having a national airline as a major sponser would go a long way to helping with travel costs. I would love to see a reviving of the Rugby Canada Super League as I think it would really help with the development of the game here in Canada... That and have MLR as the top flight in North America with at least 3-4 teams in Canada (Vancouver/BC, Toronto, Halifax, and Calgary/Edmonton or Montreal) would only develope the game more in Canada. I think what MLR is doing and building the league on the model of the MLS will work for them. They are already ahead of the game as teams like Dallas, Houston, Seattle and a few others already play in rugby specific stadiums (something that MLS didn't have right at the start). Give MLR about 5 more years and they will be a legitimate league for rugby in North America and we will start to see better preformances from the US and Canada internationaly as well.

8 hours ago, kiwi_canadian said:

They currently do have a competition with regions already set up with the BC Bears representing British Columbia, the Prairie Wolfpack representing players in Alberta, Saskatchewan and Manitoba, the Ontario Blues representing Ontario and the Atlanic Rock representing the Atlanic provinces and Quebec. I think the last competion was played in 2019. Because of COVID, I'm not sure if they have held any since. I think if they set up something like they have with the Canadian Premier League, it could maybe work. I think having a national airline as a major sponser would go a long way to helping with travel costs. I would love to see a reviving of the Rugby Canada Super League as I think it would really help with the development of the game here in Canada... That and have MLR as the top flight in North America with at least 3-4 teams in Canada (Vancouver/BC, Toronto, Halifax, and Calgary/Edmonton or Montreal) would only develope the game more in Canada. I think what MLR is doing and building the league on the model of the MLS will work for them. They are already ahead of the game as teams like Dallas, Houston, Seattle and a few others already play in rugby specific stadiums (something that MLS didn't have right at the start). Give MLR about 5 more years and they will be a legitimate league for rugby in North America and we will start to see better preformances from the US and Canada internationaly as well.

I checked out the MLR and it looks good, hopefully they can continue to grow.

I'd like to see it as the Top comp like you said that then has comps below it as feeder clubs like the NZ Provincial Championship.

Imagine Ontario Blues or Toronto Arrows having feeder clubs from a future 'East Canada Rugby Association' like Hamilton Ice, Toronto RUC, Niagara Falls Crush, Kingston City Rebels, Cockerels de Montréal Rugby à XV,  Club de rugby du Québec, plus a few more would be great.

I'd like to see a system kind of like the have the MLS and the Canadian clubs playing a competition for a true Canadian Championship with the winner heading to an Americas Club Championship with some of the SLAR teams and the American club teams. Kind of like they have the Heiniken Cup in Europe with all the French league teams, the Premiership teams and now the URC teams playing in a European club championship. I'd love to see that for the Americas region... in due time I think but what needs to happen first is that rugby needs to take off in the US and they also need to host a RWC. I think they have put in a bid for the 2027 and have Vancouver as a possible host city for a few games. Again, I'm basing this on how the MLS has done and it all started with the 1994 World Cup being hosted by the US and since then, soccer has taken off. If they can do the same with rugby, I think the game in North America will start to get better and better.

On 11/14/2021 at 4:02 AM, kiwi_canadian said:

I'd like to see a system kind of like the have the MLS and the Canadian clubs playing a competition for a true Canadian Championship with the winner heading to an Americas Club Championship with some of the SLAR teams and the American club teams. Kind of like they have the Heiniken Cup in Europe with all the French league teams, the Premiership teams and now the URC teams playing in a European club championship. I'd love to see that for the Americas region... in due time I think but what needs to happen first is that rugby needs to take off in the US and they also need to host a RWC. I think they have put in a bid for the 2027 and have Vancouver as a possible host city for a few games. Again, I'm basing this on how the MLS has done and it all started with the 1994 World Cup being hosted by the US and since then, soccer has taken off. If they can do the same with rugby, I think the game in North America will start to get better and better.

First thing is to change MLR to MRU Major Rugby Union, RUA Rugby Union America, URU United Rugby Union or my favourite NARU North America Rugby Union.

That League Rugby just confuses everything. Is it the League of union or the Union playing league???

I guess that part of the world finds it less confusing.

When i first got to Singapore they had something similar but luckily it's been fixed.

Also i love Tonga's outgoing nature with their kits.

• 5 weeks later...
On 11/14/2021 at 5:50 PM, tigers said:

First thing is to change MLR to MRU Major Rugby Union, RUA Rugby Union America, URU United Rugby Union or my favourite NARU North America Rugby Union.

That League Rugby just confuses everything. Is it the League of union or the Union playing league???

I guess that part of the world finds it less confusing.

When i first got to Singapore they had something similar but luckily it's been fixed.

Also i love Tonga's outgoing nature with their kits.

People in North American know what "Major League" means, and for the most part don't have a clue about rugby league.

There are also strong connotations with the worn "Union", whether they be good or bad. Polarizing is not what you want to be as a young league.

MLR is just fine. Follows one of the two main naming conventions (Major League *Sport*), and with the other one (National *Sport* League) is already taken in a big way by the NRL. Now THAT would get confusing. And I think it's pretty obvious why they don't follow the NBA option, lol.

• 5 weeks later...

Looks like Canterbury is done with North American teams. USA Rugby has announced they will now be going with Castore as their new kit provider for the next few years.

FJEKw_sWUAEnXHx?format=jpg&name=small

Castore is an English brand based out of Manchester. They mostly do soccer, cricket and tennis. Currently they provide kits for Wolverhampton, Aston Villa and the Rangers. Next season, they'll have Newcastle and Sevilla. In cricket, they provide kit for South Africa, West Indies and in April, will provide kit for England. Andy Murray wears their brand for tennis. I've seen their stuff in rugby league in the NRL with them providing kit for the Sydney Roosters and the Melbourne Storm. The Saracens in English Premiership are kitted by them as well. This will be their second international team as they also provide the kit for Samoa.

7 minutes ago, DiePerske said:

Ugh. Canterbury is IMO the best for rugby and wish they would have kept the contract

If it makes you feel any better, rumor has it that Argentina will be switching to Canterbury but nothing has been made official yet. If that does happen, then I believe that is end of Nike in rugby.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Archived