Just Another Casual NBA Rebrand (MIL & BKN added)

LA Fakers+ LA Snippers

With the Season about to start, I figured now would be a good time to finally finish restart my long awaited 32-team NBA project.  Going in order isn't going to be possible for me, so I'm going to post these as I gain ideas for them. 

Starting with...the Detroit Pistons.

I always liked the 2002 recolor of the 90's teal horse logo for Detroit. It actually has some character to it, other than the plain red/blue basketball that we've seen different variations of. THis time around, I'm removing the navy, going full red/blue/silver.

y7S7SG2.png

Now for the Uniforms.

Association/Icon: I brought the recolored horse-head wordmark to the front of the jerseys (just like the 90's Grant Hill-era), I swapped the stripe colors back to normal, and the number gets the logo treatment with the outline. "DP" goes on the shorts leg, while the horse-ball goes on the waistband.

Statement: I brought back the fan-beloved red alternate. It's a simple recolor, really, but the fans adored it, so back in the rotation it goes.

City: For as much flak as the pistons get for their "Motor City" alternates (especially on these boards), It is an actual nickname for the city. Silver, mostly used for trim on the main jerseys, becomes the base. The stripes bring back the teal, gold, and red of the Grant Hill-era, while black and gold go on the wordmark & numbers. The waistband, shorts trim, and neckline are half teal/half red, corresponding with the nearest stripe.

qosyDqr.png3b2HA9M.png

JNCpW93.png

LRT7G3r.png

Next up are the Portland Trail Blazers.

Only major change here is that Portland returns to a lowercase font. the Logo is stacked similar to the original 1971 logo.

MgV4WMT.png

Association/Icon: Over their entire half-century of existence, Portland  has never had the full name "Trail Blazers" on a uniform. That all changes today. Silver trim is removed from the neck, shoulders, and sash.

Statement: for some reason, Portland likes to experiment with their red jersey. The haven't had a true, inverted alternate jersey since 2012. While theirs nothing wrong with experimenting,  the Blazers are one of those teams that can get by with a simple recolor.

City: Speaking of experimentation.... The Blazers unveiled a silver-and-black monochromatic earned jersey. (they said it's because Dame, being from Oakland, was a Raiders fan).  It wasn't bad, but it got me thinking, what if they had a jersey made up of nothing but grey tones?  Call it the "gray-dient"(the name is corny, I know).

3fi17nH.png

lZxjDQV.png

Sr0aym2.png

jPjmkpZ.png

• 1 month later...

For our third installment we have the Charlotte Hornets.

Association/Icon: The Hornets get a C+ in my book for their update last offseason. The signature jersey-only pinstipes return, but at the expense of the color purple being relegated to trim. This time around, purple is featured more prominently, especially on the Icon jersey. The multi-colored pinstripes return, because not only are they synonymous with the Hornets, but it helps distinguish them from other pinstriped teams. The pants get a Florida Gators football-style stripe down the sides. The "Crown C" returns on the left leg.

Statement: "Charlotte" moves from the white jersey to the purple alternate.

City: The Hornets are 1/4 with their City uniforms, the only good one being last season's mint & gold. This version replaces the marketing ploy of "Buzz City" with Charlotte's actual nickname, "Queen City".  Green and white, the colors of Charlotte's city flag, become the base of this jersey. Checkered flags grace the sides of the uniform, not only a nod to Charlotte's rich racing history, but also to the Bobcats old alternates. Pinstripes become single-striped like the original 90's Hornets.

raBfy85.png

YpYIOk1.png

KIQGTAW.png

qTw3D3X.png

Pretty good stuff here, only miss in my opinion is removing "Charlotte" from the two primary jerseys. Don't really care which one you put it on, but I hate it when teams only put their mascot name on their jerseys. I think the teal jersey's shorts are missing some white, maybe make the logo white for a pop on the front of the shorts. The city alt is fine, feels a lot more like a "City of Charlotte" jersey than a Hornets jersey, but that's not necessarily a bad thing. Super glad to see Queen City over Buzz City.

I like the other jerseys you've got here too, all very solid looks for these teams.

Now for the Western Conference Champs, the Phoenix Suns.

The Suns love to use both black and purple, so i decided to bring back the old bright purple and substitute black for the current dark purple. Since the Valley unis were such a hit, the entire set of uniforms is based around gradients, as you'll see with the uniforms.

m5x2rjW.png

Association/Icon: The Suns half-baked attempt to pay homage to the Barkley era wasn't perfect, but it definitely was my main inspiration for this set. Firstly, the Steve Nash 2000's wordmark returns, as this one just screams "Suns" compared to the new one. The number is placed inside of the sunburst, as a nod to the Barkley set and the 2014 set. The wordmark, sunburst, back number and side panels all get a vertical light purple to orange gradient, outlined in dark purple(the inverse on the Icon). Collar and shoulder stripes remain from the current set. The side panels are a vertical gradient with rays at the bottom the mimic the sunburst.

Statement: The gradient is ditched for solid light purple with a dark purple outline. The collar and shoulder trim follow suit.

City: Arizona is know for it's deserts, and so I thought it seemed fitting to make "The Valley" actually look like the valleys. A sandy color becomes the base, with the collar, shoulder trim and side panels getting an orange/white/dark purple striping pattern. "The Valley" is displayed on the front, with old-timey western font to boot. The phoenix-ball secondary moves to the shorts, while a recolored Arizona flag takes it's place on the waistband.

N7SjYwd.png

peTwy9k.png

yTrmr4B.pngNJf0jIB.png

On 10/12/2021 at 2:18 PM, QCS said:

Pretty good stuff here, only miss in my opinion is removing "Charlotte" from the two primary jerseys. Don't really care which one you put it on, but I hate it when teams only put their mascot name on their jerseys. I think the teal jersey's shorts are missing some white, maybe make the logo white for a pop on the front of the shorts. The city alt is fine, feels a lot more like a "City of Charlotte" jersey than a Hornets jersey, but that's not necessarily a bad thing. Super glad to see Queen City over Buzz City.

I like the other jerseys you've got here too, all very solid looks for these teams.

I'll definitely go back and work on the Hornets road/"Icon".  As for the City jersey, it's supposed to be a 'City of Charlotte" jersey. if Nike is going to force City jerseys on us, might as well make them actually tie-in to the city the team is playing for/in.

On 10/12/2021 at 1:00 PM, LA Fakers+ LA Snippers said:

For our third installment we have the Charlotte Hornets.

Association/Icon: The Hornets get a C+ in my book for their update last offseason. The signature jersey-only pinstipes return, but at the expense of the color purple being relegated to trim. This time around, purple is featured more prominently, especially on the Icon jersey. The multi-colored pinstripes return, because not only are they synonymous with the Hornets, but it helps distinguish them from other pinstriped teams. The pants get a Florida Gators football-style stripe down the sides. The "Crown C" returns on the left leg.

Statement: "Charlotte" moves from the white jersey to the purple alternate.

City: The Hornets are 1/4 with their City uniforms, the only good one being last season's mint & gold. This version replaces the marketing ploy of "Buzz City" with Charlotte's actual nickname, "Queen City".  Green and white, the colors of Charlotte's city flag, become the base of this jersey. Checkered flags grace the sides of the uniform, not only a nod to Charlotte's rich racing history, but also to the Bobcats old alternates. Pinstripes become single-striped like the original 90's Hornets.

raBfy85.png

YpYIOk1.png

KIQGTAW.png

qTw3D3X.png

Adding more purple is a good move

• LA Fakers+ LA Snippers changed the title to Just Another Casual NBA Rebrand (Suns added)
  • 1 month later...

It's been a few months since I last posted on this thread, so I'll give you two teams for your troubles. 

First we have the reigning NBA Champions Milwaukee Bucks.The Bucks have paired a wide range of colors with their signature green, but I've tried to combine the best elements from their history.  The current Buck logo and wordmark remain, but are placed onto a red triangle similar to the logos of the 2000s.  

spacer.png

Association/Icon: The legendary Irish Rainbow  returns, but the trim containing it is green/red/green (white/red/white on Icon) as a tribute to the Kareem-era jerseys. Similar to those jerseys,  the wordmark is red outlined in green (white for Icon). The Icon now reads the team name instead of the city name.

Statement: "Milwaukee" replaces the team name, while green and red have swapped.

City: The Irish rainbow stays, but is now in shades of cream to represent the famous cream bricks of buildings in Milwaukee, where the city earned the nickname "Cream City". That nickname returns to the forefront in the same beer-like font from the 2019-20 City edition, this time, however, the number font matches. The red trim is replaced with purple from the late 90's/Ray Allen set.

lKvecac.png

URXGvwM.png

1m6KS3M.pngY80yfjx.png

Next we have the team those Bucks beat in the playoffs, the Brooklyn Nets.

I tried to give the Nets' branding some life, so I replaced black with the 2000's/Kidd navy blue. The tie-dye-era wordmark goes on the shield, while the team name arches above the shield instead of below.

kEVG1DB.png

Association/Icon: The 90's wordmarkgoes on the front, given only a navy(white on Icon) outline. The iconic net side panels from the Jason Kidd Finals run return.

Statement: The base for the jersey becomes gray, similar to the current and 2000's alternates.

City: The classic ABA/Dr. J uniform becomes the new city edition, but the new number font stays, and the wordmark reads BKYLN, similar to the current alternates.

jJV6y9n.pnghBRN5GS.png9q0naMG.pngtSrM4ac.png

• LA Fakers+ LA Snippers changed the title to Just Another Casual NBA Rebrand (MIL & BKN added)
  • 2 weeks later...

I get where you were going with the Bucks, but I think most modern fans associate red with the lean years before Giannis arrived rather than Kareem and Oscar. 

I think this past year firmly established the Bucks as a green & cream team with gold or black trim.